Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Knottie & friends Sunday Dartmoor ride (with pics)
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

Well after Saturdays adventure in the Sun, Sunday didn’t start off quite so good. It was a bit cold, dull & overcast, however 9 riders were at the start line including Oldfart who came down to join us on the day. We did a loop down to Burrator reservoir then back to Princetown before calling it a day, about 10 mins before the heavens opened & it rained very hard.

RichPenny at the top of the first climb

RichPenny leading the posse towards Eylesbarrow

The beast of Dartmoor has a rival – here is the deadly Wurzel Pixie 😈

Anna B & Oldfart on the Eylesbarrow descent

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5107/5585302655_8b09c2f18d_b.jpg[/img]

Rich leads Knottie along the road beside the leat in Sheepstor village

Oldfart on Burrator reservoir dam

a view of Burrator Reservoir

You see some unusual sights & here is a guy on his unicycle on Dartmoor

Crossing the bridge on the trail towards Princetown

It was a great two days riding on Dartmoor. Many Thanks to Knottie for organising things and to Anna B, RichPenny, Oldfart & all the other friends that joined in the fun. I’m looking forward to the next one already.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Me jealous Naaa

I had my ma down all weekend and took both mothers out today

of all the options suicide was tops today 👿

saladdodger
    Free Member

Me jealous Naaa

I had my ma down all weekend and took both mothers out today

of all the options suicide was tops today 👿

jam-bo

My dartmoor ride was very different, I took the dog out for a run on the western side of the moors by widgery cross.

I started out about 10 minutes before the heavens opened. Interesting mix of torrential rain, thick fog and the occasional glimpse of sunshine in the distance.

knottie8
    Free Member

Thanks for helping out les.Nice to meet new people aswell . Great day out as per usual .
    my pics here http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/knottie/The%20Dartmoor%20weekend/ im having pc issues so bear with me……

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cracking pictures of beautiful areas. I’d love to ride around there. Stunning stuff. Ta for sharing

robnorthcott
    Free Member

You see some unusual sights & here is a guy on his unicycle on Dartmoor

You posted that quickly – haven’t been back long. We were just popping down to the pub for dinner… Nice pic as well – did you get one including my little daughter on her trailer bike? She’d be well pleased with that if you did 🙂

Rob

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hi Rob

Firstly apologies for referring to you as an ‘unusual sight’ mate 😕 actually the lady at the Old Police Station cafe said she regularly sees you out on your one-wheel.

Anyway I did get some shots of your wife & daughter on their bikes which are below, if you want the actual pics then email me (addy in profile) & I’ll send them to you. I would have taken a few more pics but you were going like the clappers 🙂 Next time I see you out I’ll say ‘Hello Rob’.

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5026/5585676597_3359871af7_b.jpg[/img][img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5586268732_36e4edbfe3_b.jpg[/img]

Anna-B
    Free Member

Rob, you/unicyle/trailerbike made a fantastic sight and your face was a picture of concentration! Seeing you has inspired me to try and track one down and learn how to ride it (and I heard it’s good for the abs…)

Thanks all for a really great weekend, top bunch of folk that I’ve met through this forum, and good as always to meet new people. I’ve got a sock tan line…. and that’s after having had a bath!

Thanks for pics CB and knottie 🙂 Dartmoor Rocks- even when it’s misty.

Anna-B
    Free Member

And this is why Gillian was Mrs Potato Head in the pub on Saturday evening……

And a key, I don’t know what it’s for…

😆

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Thanks for those pics – little Alice will like that one of her 🙂

@Anna B: Thanks for the comments. If you’re interested in learning to unicycle have a look at the unicycling forums (UK one at http://www.unicycle.org.uk/forum, international one at http://www.unicyclist.com). We’re a friendly bunch, not as odd as some people think! You’ll quite likely find somebody local to you who’ll lend you a unicycle and give you some hints. It’s great fun, very different feeling from a bike, and a good upper body/core workout as you mentioned. (Sorry for the plug)

Rob

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hi Rob, thanks for that, will look at the forums. Have had a look at unicycles on ebay, not as much as I thought they’d be. I know someone who had one, will try them for a loan first! Just out of interest, what size wheel was yours? (almost put wheels just there! 😆 )

cheez0
    Free Member

What tyre for unicycle DH?

What brake levers?

🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

Anna I asked Rob the same question & here is his reply:

It’s a 36″ wheel – they look even more impressive with a shorter rider. Pretty heavy but good for just cruising along for long distances – less silly cadence than a smaller wheel. I’ve got a very light 29er with shorter cranks I use for fast xc singletrack and racing, and a 26″ wheel with 3″ tyre that goes nicely down the rockier stuff (widowmaker/groundhog/eylesbere etc etc).

I can’t believe anyone would even attempt to go down the Widowmaker on only one wheel 😕

slugwash
    Free Member

I can’t believe anyone would even attempt to go down the Widowmaker on only one wheel

Why not? It would make that over-rated stretch of trail moderately exciting 😉

Great pictures as usual Les. I’m looking forwards to your [cough] 50th [/cough] birthday rides in the summer.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

What tyre for unicycle DH?

What brake levers?
    Usually 24″ or 26″ wheel, 2.6 to 3″ tyre for a bit of “suspension”.
    As for brakes – mine’s an old HS33.

I can’t believe anyone would even attempt to go down the Widowmaker on only one wheel

Why not? It would make that over-rated stretch of trail moderately exciting

Indeed 🙂
    Actually I reckon it’s LESS dangerous on a unicycle than it is on a bike (assuming you ride the bike fast enough to make it interesting). If you fall off a unicycle you tend to land on your feet. Maybe I’m weird but I used to prefer riding UP that track on a bike…

Rob

foxyrider
    Free Member

Shame it was Sunday as Sat was a better day when I went to Princetown 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

Great pictures as usual Les. I’m looking forwards to your [cough] 50th [/cough] birthday rides in the summer.

Thanks for reminding me Rich I’d forgotten all about it 😉

Hope you’re back on the bike again after your tendonitis – must be growing pains you youngster 🙂

Foxy – we too had a great day on Dartmoor on Saturday & the trails were great too 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Did you see a guy on a spesh road bike wave good morning on the Sat ride as I saw you all at Warran house Inn ! 🙂 prob about 10.30?

I was tempted to stop over and say hello – really wanted to swap the road bike for my MTB and join you 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

Yeah Foxy I do remember you mate & I waved/nodded back, I hope you had a good ride on the black stuff I bet it was a tad warm tho 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Knottie & friends Sunday Dartmoor ride (with pics)’ is closed to new replies.