• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knocked off road bike by a bus who didn't stop.
  • worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Long story short … Knocked off by a bus who didn’t stop. Have witness, logged with police and had correspondence from the transport claims company, over a period of 9months. After chasing up, I got a letter today asking to get my bike repaired and send them a copy of the bill and payment, as well as a picture of my scarring from the injuries. I think they are just taking the p155 now and trying to delay any compensation. It’s a few hundred quid and I don’t want to outlay this and then find out they are not going to pay out. Should I just say f@£& it and go down the road of one of the claim companies and let them fight it out.

First bus and it is their own claims company dealing with me direct.

wwaswas

taslk to some of the CTC recommended lawyers – see what they say.

If the bus compoany is offering cash it’s just a question of how much rather than denying guilt, though, by the sound of it?

PaulD
    Free Member

You have a conditional cash offer which sounds like an admission of guilt and scarring from injuries sustained.

Tell them to pay up now (stipulate a number of days) or you are going to an Injuries Lawyer.

That will cost them plenty on top of what you get, so should be very keen to settle it now.

PaulD

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

From the bus companies point of view, they do need proof of the amount of damage done, but you shouldn’t need to send proof its been paid.

Take it to a couple of different bike shops and get quotes for the work (to a professional standard, not just you thinking it “that fork looks ok, i’ll leave it”) then send the bus company a copy.

I’m unsure what to do about the injuries side, that probably would require a claims company to get anything significant?

ajc
    Free Member

You got hit by a bus that didn’t stop at the scene of an accident or knocked off by a bus that didn’t stop in time?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I would send them a letter telling them you want a cheque for (for example) a grand by the end of Jan to cover the costs of repairs and compensation for injury or you’ll take them to one of these no win no fees firms, which they will almost certainly loose the case and end up paying out more.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Bit more info..

Apparently driver is getting done with careless or without due care and attention.
    I went straight to the police to log when it had just happened , with gear I tatters and blood still running from wounds. ( adrenaline was still in effect so pain hadn’t kicked in too much)

Emailed the bus company with all the details that night.

Sent them photos of fresh injuries while still in riding gear, damage to clothing and bike. It all amounts to over £700, along with pics and prices for replacement of everything.

As mentioned above I was going to go into a couple of bike shops to get quotes and send them that prior to paying. This is what makes me think they are dragging their heels.

BigJohn

Their response doesn’t sound at all promising. Be careful that anything you answer might worsen your position.

It’s time to get an expert to represent you.

MoreCashThanDash

You have to substantiate and prove your losses – they have asked for the appropriate evidence? Estimate for repair/replacement may suffice rather than proof of having paid

maccruiskeen

Being fair to them (which is no reason not to be suspicious of them) If the driver has been prosecuted then ‘an admission of guilt’ is seemingly a given. You gave them pictures when the injuries where fresh – they are asking for pictures of the resultant scars – the permanence and prominence of those scars are a factor as to how someone might calculate compensation for those injuries. Its a bit rich though to be asked you to pay for repairs and replacements upfront and send a receipt. It should be sufficient for you to get a quote (or quotes) for repairs/replacements. But you needn’t be under any obligation to spend the quoted amount on repairs, you’re free to spend that money any way you like. Especially as so much time has passed and you’ve probably already made alternative arrangements (at a cost unrelated to your losses) to be able to cycle and to clothe yourself in the interim, and that will have been at the expense of some other aspect of your life.

crankboy
    Free Member

There is an easily accessible website to give an idea how much your injuries are worth from memory it’s the judicial studies board guide to compensation . I got 3.5 k for a big hole in the elbow a grazed hip (very much worse than it sounds ) with bashed knees and hands and stiff neck. The bus company are right to demand proff of loss and may pay for you to go for a medical . The key is to now get them to state in open correspondence that they accept liability. Open means in a letter that is not marked “without prejudice”.

They cannot insist you pay for the repairs first .

Do not accept any payment as in full and final until you have recovered all your losses including personal injury . Personal injury payments are very subjective expect to receive at least one very low offer you may have to threaten to issue proceedings or instruct a solicitor to get a decent one.

project
    Free Member

BIKELINE.CO.UK, FREE LEGAL ADVICE, ring or email them, glad youre ok.

Taff
    Free Member

Did you post this a few months ago too? I would get a LBS to give a written quotation for repair and pics but perhaps legal advice would be an idea unless you’re already doing that

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off road bike by a bus who didn't stop.’ is closed to new replies.