Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 235 total)
  • Knocked off on cycle path by dog – injured. What to do?
  • deviant
    Free Member

2011pitchpro gets it, I despair at the direction this country is headed….

….”I’m hurt, waaaah, who can I blame?”….

Some people on STW would be better off sat safely at home wrapped in cotton wool instead of venturing out into the big wide world….the frightening thought is that these people will breed leading to an even more spineless generation of incompetents.

(Cats are horrible creatures and their owners shouldn’t be trusted, if everybody grew up with a dog in the family the world would be a better place)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure some on STW would be better of just satying inside and shouting their hate filled Bollocks safe from the actual consequences of saying it to peoples faces…oh the Irony that its keyboard warriors calling every one else softies and spineless.

You are so brave and virile I am getting dizzy from your testosterone and I guess if we met [ a boy can dream eh] I would get pregnant just from your awesomeness

Its such a shame you did not get enough cuddles as a child

Christ trolling it so easy WTF is the point ?

martinxyz
    Free Member

What a joke, generation of mommy’s boys, so you fell over big deal. No broken bones, no time off work.

You must be drunk,surely? :O)
    I didn’t fall over. It is a deal. Does a fracture or broken bone mean it’s so much worse than a swollen hand that has no grip or carrying capabilities? I’ve broken the same hand before and this, although shows no fractures, is far more of a pain in the ass. The swelling is like I’ve had implants. Like it’s filled with jelly. I do have time off work. I can’t use the hand, it’s quiet at work and my boss said to take a few days off. I’m next to useless with my dominant hand today. Hopefully when he goes on holiday for 2 weeks I’ll be able to do stuff as there’s only 2 or 3 of us. I will be taking notes and answering the phone and that’s about all I could do right now.

devs
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences. Has the dog been found yet?
    Just as a discussion point, substitute dog with child. Who is to blame then? I always maintain that if you can’t stop in the distance you can see ahead then you are going too fast.
    I would slow down to walking pace if I saw someone coming the other way, purely out of shock and to have a chat, it never happens 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Welcome pitch pro ….the worlds slowest troll… I guess he has just got up given its just past 3 pm Perhaps he justy like the number 3 Page 3 at 3 pm ?

C-G I dont think it is a dog owner v non dog owner thing but idiots v not idiots.

JY, why is it everytime anyone writes something on here that you disagree with they are either an idiot or a troll? Im genuinely interested ….

cinnamon_girl

Ex dog owner here, I used to work in boarding kennels too. Find myself dismayed at the lack of responsibility that many dog owners exhibit, they fail to realise that training is on-going and not just a puppy class. As someone who only rides on their own I don’t see why I should be subjected to someone’s stupid dog making a nuisance of itself. Thank goodness for my large feet!

deviant
    Free Member

JY you’re trolling and I’m not, that’s the difference!

Don’t like my views?….there is plenty of bollocks on here I don’t like, such is life eh?…all you can do is try to avoid people with opposing views in real life then you don’t have to be offended in a face to face situation by the whining simpering garbage that spews forth from their stupid fat faces.

(as others have said, you write off opposing views as trolling as it is your defence mechanism that allows you to feel more comfortable about the world, its what children do)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trolls same old shit say something outrageous insist you mean it etc
    Still you seem lovely with it

Anyway I have fed you enough return to the bridge

EDIT: Hahah not even a good one you had to go back to put in the goad in brackets.

That did make me laugh you are just so needing of attention and I am the child

Bless

aracer
    Free Member

“I was riding on a path that’s used for walking and cycling last night. It was dark, I had my lights on and a cyclist was was approaching me with lights on too. We pass each other and his child, off a lead, runs from behind the bike”

I’m not sure it really works.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Two cyclists pass each other, how many would slow to a stop from 10mph knowing that the light ahead is another cyclist? You ride past. No child ran out, if it did, it doesn’t have to be on a lead. The dog does. It’s a dog, there’s no point with ‘what if’s’

My brother said that if a dog ran out in front of me in the car and I swerved and crashed and caused injury to myself, then it would be a whole different matter. Usual just a cyclist attitude, but put a motorcycle or car into it all and it’s a different matter. I could see the path ahead although his light was bright,I was focussed on the path, just like we do when riding motorbikes or driving cars, you soon learn after passing your test to not gaze into lights and look where you’re going. The path was clear, a lit rider was approaching but I kept my eyes on the path. The path was clear, I had approx 1500 lumens on the third setting aiming (after considerately dipping it well in advance as to not blind him) to see ahead.

A dog ran out and I hit it. Regardless of dog colour or not, it ran straight across me. That’s the last time I’m explaining this bit. If nobody can get it, then so be it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would get some proper legal advice, Leigh Day are the BC lawyers IIRC

Getting an ID for the dog owner is probably the biggest issue

Ignore the Internet trolling above

MoreCashThanDash

Can’t believe the vitriol that this has resorted to!

Dogs should be kept under control in public places by law, not necessarily on a lead. The fact that the dog appears to have run in front of the op suggests to me it wasn’t under control.

However, you shouldn’t ride so fast that you can’t stop in the distance that you can see to be safe. If you can’t see, you slow down or stop. Oncoming riders are a pain on my commute in winter, but if I’m dazzled I brake.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Hope the op gets better soon.

aracer
    Free Member

Kids today don’t know they’re born.
    It wasn’t like this in my day.

imnotverygood

However, you shouldn’t ride so fast that you can’t stop in the distance that you can see to be safe. If you can’t see, you slow down or stop. Oncoming riders are a pain on my commute in winter, but if I’m dazzled I brake.

During the rush hour, this would mean stopping every 10 seconds or so on my local path.

iolo
    Free Member

Why not call a no win no fee solicitor. Get as much cash as you can. You might even get a new bike.
    There’s no wonder our premiums are so bloody high to cover people who claim on this accident, I repeat accident with both parties partly to blame.

aracer
    Free Member

Not really. He’s just repeated the explanation above – he could see the path in front was clear. A dog then ran into it. By extension of your argument, all vehicles should travel at 5mph everywhere in case a dog they haven’t seen runs out in front of them.

aracer
    Free Member

Bingo!!

Presumably you’re not supposed to claim for accidents, only when somebody does something deliberately? I think maybe you’re a bit confused about what an accident is.

iolo
    Free Member

That’s what insurance is for. For accidents. You break something that’s partly your fault claim against your own insurance.
    Or you can try knock for knock.

aracer
    Free Member

Given the description, how exactly is it partly his fault when an out of control dog runs in front of him?

Presumably you also think that it’s only claiming on other people’s insurance which makes premiums “so bloody high”?

iolo
    Free Member

This is going round in circles. He couldn’t see, kept riding, read the rest, it’s been written a few times above. How could he prove was not already there if the lights were dazzling? And so on.

ampthill

Presumably you’re not supposed to claim for accidents, only when somebody does something deliberately?

No that’s not correct is it. Typo?

bedmaker

He couldn’t see, kept riding, read the rest, it’s been written a few times above. How could he prove was not already there if the lights were dazzling?

Several others above have written this or something similar, and it’s utter bollocks.
    Driving at night on the road, every time you pass another car you’re temporarily partially blinded such that you can’t see what’s immediately behind the other car.

Should you slow to walking pace, just incase there’s someone in a black car with no lights driving erratically behind the passing car?

Dog owners should pay for the consequences of their out of control/untrained dog in this sort of situation IMO

chip
    Free Member

bollocks.
    Driving at night on the road, every time you pass another car you’re temporarily partially blinded such that you can’t see what’s immediately behind the other car.

Not me, a trip to spec savers is in order for you.

aracer
    Free Member

Do we have the first superman with xray vision on this thread!

mikey3
    Free Member

Chip you’re just flat out awesome aren’t you,you little minx.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Lets’ not turn this into another godawful driving thread.

@OP Sympathies, your injuries sound highly annoying. For £120 of parts and some bumps and bruises, I can’t believe you’re even considering the time and expense of a legal process. Get on with your life.

PS. For whatever reason, probably the tone and length of your post, I remembered your sliproad post from a year back. That one went 6 pages with a similar pattern of responses.

aracer
    Free Member

He couldn’t see, kept riding, read the rest, it’s been written afew times above

I’m not sure it’s me who needs to do more reading. The OP has now said several times that he could see the path was clear as he approached and that the dog ran out from behind the other cyclist. That the dazzling was only incidental at the point the dog ran out. Do keep up.

teasel
    Free Member

Actually Chip has a point, though not with the Specsavers bit.

If you avert your gaze to the left hand side it helps avoid the glare blindness. Works when driving, too.

Ill declare one thing first. My other half screws dogs (and other things) back together.

Poor choice of place to put the parentheses, you don’t want people pausing there, really, or they may end up with an ill informed view of your OH.[/quote]

🙂

Deserved quoting or/and re-quoting

bedmaker

If you avert your gaze to the left hand side it helps avoid the glare blindness. Works when driving, too.

That’s cerainly true, but you are certainly not able to see much even doing this. Especially with some modern lights or poorly adjusted ones.

I don’t want to spark off a driving thread, I just saw it as a decent analogy in response to those who claim you should always travel at a speed you could stop in if something appears in front of you.
    It’s just not realistic.

iolo
    Free Member

The other point to consider is that the OP reported the incident to the police.
    The police informed him, after due deliberation there was no case to investigate.
    So as no blame was apportioned how could anyone be financially liable for the OP’s unfortunate incident?

aracer
    Free Member

I just saw it as a decent analogy in response to those who claim you should always travel at a speedyou could stop in if something appears in front of you.

I’d suggest that it’s a pretty good idea for general riding and driving, and if you are continuously blinded by the glare of low sun the you should slow down. However it is unrealistic to expect somebody to slow down instantaneously because they are temporarily blinded by somebody else’s badly aimed lights. There is a difference between the two.

What’s more, it sounds like that made no difference.

aracer
    Free Member

iolo, so not only are you confused by what an accident is, you don’t understand the difference between a criminal offence and civil liability either?

iolo
    Free Member

Ok, OP, go on Judge Judy

rene59
    Free Member

Ok, OP, go on Judge Judy

Aracer can be the ‘expert’ one stood next to him that keeps butting in and having to be told to shut up for talking shite.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Dog owners fault imo.

I don’t see how a dog can be held responsible for anything, as a cyclist he should have been more aware of the potential pitfalls of dog walking at night, idiots some of them.

eg Dog on one side of road/cycle path and the owner on the other, connected by a 4 meter lead

The owner should have took reasonable steps to make sure the dog was visible, as a cyclist himself he would have been aware of this but just couldn’t be arsed, if it had been my dog I would have took full responsibility and have been gutted I’d allowed it to happen and very apologetic.

Could the owner have done more to prevent it, yes, definitely yes, could the op have done anything different to prevent it, no I don’t think he could.

mooman
    Free Member

I think it is pretty 50/50 on who was to blame.
    The only definite conclusion we have arrived at is that Junkyard is a troll. Every thread over a page or two is littered with his nonsense 😕

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’m half to blame for a dog running under my wheel when I could see the path I’m riding on? Can you not picture this? You’ve driven vehicles and/or ride bikes in the dark,yes? A dark unlit path, two cyclists with bright lights approaching each other. One had a dog following him. Is it possible to see what’s behind any vehicle with lights, such as dogs or animals? No, you just see the lights in blackness and maybe get an idea of the size of vehicle by the light type,height from the road, width etc. If no light is behind them,there’s no definition on a dark night with no light behind. Is that too hard to picture and understand? You have got to be trolling. I really cannot believe I’m explaining this. I think the dog would understand this sooner. Nah,you managed to register and sign in, you have got to be trolling.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Dirtydog,it’s so calming to read pure common sense every so often :O)

andy3809
    Free Member

No, but you’re fully to blame for not helping to find a potentially seriously hurt and scared dog instead of reporting the incident to the police immediately.

Regardless of who’s fault it was and how strong your desire to be compensated surely a bit of compassion would have been well received.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Junkyard=KatyHopkins-KatyHopkins=Junkyard EUGGHHHHH!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off on cycle path by dog – injured. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.