Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 235 total)
  • Knocked off on cycle path by dog – injured. What to do?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Lucky, lucky you. I was riding down a track minding my own business when I was attacked by a dog 20-30m away from it’s owner. I was just out for a ride, not a dog petting exercise, though not sure what difference it would have made being a dog lover (apparently I should have warned her as she was deaf to the racket I was making kicking up loose stones) – dog clearly knew I was coming and seemed friendly enough which is why I wan’t prepared. Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen (check out stats for dog attacks, it’s a massive problem).

i hate cyclists….generally they’re all pricks!

If I was going to stupidly generalise I could say the same about dog owners – but actually the majority are very friendly and pleasant and do control their dogs, so it clearly is possible.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Just looking at it from another side based on all information you have provided in this thread.
    I’m sorry for your injuries but seriously, get over it.We all fall off bikes all the time (or at least I do).

Hora wrote: The accident wouldn’t have happened if the dog was under proper control. Is that hard to accept?

Don’t feed these people,Hora. He thinks I just.. fell off my bike. He is either trolling or hasn’t read that I was knocked to the ground face first by a dog out of control. It’s not worth trying to reason with people that can’t evaluate the whole scenario.

rene59
    Free Member

Its funny that on here a car driver not seeing a cyclist/hazard because of the dark is never an accepted excuse. They should drive for the conditions, expect the unexpected etc.

The hypocrisy of some cyclists really makes me laugh. Some really do think they can do no wrong, are always correct and should never be held accountable for their actions.

imnotverygood

Dog lover here, but.

All those saying ‘accidents will happen’ and that if there is a dog running about off the lead then there is a danger you aren’t going to see it in the dark and hit it….. Just one of those things, well why in God’s name are you bringing the dog down to the path in the first place? Talk about engineering an entirely foreseeable ‘accident’ An uncontrolled dog in the dark on a cyclepath represents an obvious hazard. Are you too stupid or selfish to realise that you can do something about that? My sympathies are with Martin and the dog.

aracer
    Free Member

Have you really never seen a dog run kamikaze style across a path in front of things? 😯

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rene, scroll. I was riding towards another rider approx 7-10mph. Driving or riding for the conditions? Please. I’ve got the Garmin file to prove my speed and was no way speeding. I finished my ride, stopped the Garmin, reset and was recording the final jaunt back to the car just for miles. It was a headwind. slow paced.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think there is an argument to say that if you see a dog on a shared path you should slow right down to mitigate the chance of collision. Certainly I often come across dogs off leads and surprisingly enough I’ve never been knocked off once.

I’m sure the usual suspects will tell me that this is irelivant and the cyclist is never to blame however…

As for comparing this situation to one where a dog runs out on the road, the 2 aren’t comparable. I know this as when my mate got knocked off (in holyrood park) the insurance company tried to argue that it wasn’t a public highway as it was in a park, and as such the cyclist was expected to show reasonable care and attention. When his lawyer pointed out it was clearly a ‘road’ they did a swift uturn on their stance and paid out.

imnotverygood

Why would it suddenly decide, at the very last minute, to launch itself kamikase style at your bike?

Errr.. Because it’s a dog? I would say it is pretty much SOP for breeds like Springers.

hora
    Free Member

Dog lover here, but.

All those saying ‘accidents will happen’ and that if there is a dog running about off the lead then there is a danger you aren’t going to see it in the dark and hit it….. Just one of those things, well why in God’s name are you bringing the dog down to the path in the first place? Talk about engineering an entirely foreseeable ‘accident’ An uncontrolled dog in the dark on a cyclepath represents an obvious hazard. Are you too stupid or selfish to realise that you can do something about that? My sympathies are with Martin and the dog.

Amen.

martinxyz
    Free Member

iolo, I think it was spooked or dazzled. It crossed from behind the bike diagonally and I recall it glancing at me just before I hit it.

Thank you, Imnotverygood!

Thank you, Junkyard!

& that also goes for the other 95% that can see sense.

scotroutes

The SOAC has this to say on the matter

Recreation areas and public places:
    avoid causing concern to others by keeping your dog close at heel or on a short lead.

The dog owner was clearly in breach of this.

aracer
    Free Member

Go on then – with an assertion like that I’m sure you can find an example to prove your point…

seanbolton
    Free Member

Highway Code Rule 56

“Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.”

https://www.gov.uk/rules-about-animals-47-to-58/other-animals-56-to-58

This is a recommendation, not a legal requirement.

However the dog owner is negligent in allowing the dog off it’s lead on a shared path.

One of the biggest hazards on urban shared paths is dog’s off leads.

binners

Are you too stupid or selfish to realise that you can do something about that? My sympathies are with Martin and the dog.

Don’t you know? Dogs are great! They’re brilliant! They’re so adorable, and loyal and stuff! Everyone loves dogs, surely? They’re mans best friend. They’re just great!! You can’t curtail their creativity by keeping them on a lead, or by not letting them jump up at people and bark and shite everywhere, because… well… dogs are great! They’re brilliant! etc, etc, etc…..

Under absolutely no circumstances should they all be rounded up and shot! Lets just make that clear!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’ll call the police station later to find out if they found the dog/see how he/she is.

No helmet, bike, non permanent injury matters if a dog has died through the owners negligence. I know he’ll be feeling bad vibes towards me too but if he’s got any decency in him, he will know it wasn’t intended. I got the impression of this as he was asking if I wanted to go to hospital. Like said earlier, he would have been upset and confused. He is worried for his dog and also for me. I was worried for the dog too, he knew that. It’s a shame the dog has probably got injured as it was just doing it’s thing :O/

rene59
    Free Member

rene59 » The hypocrisy of some cyclists really makes me laugh. Some really do think they can do no wrong, are always correct and should never be held accountable for their actions.

Go on then – with an assertion like that I’m sure you can find an example to prove your point… [/quote]

Well I could, yes, but as I said some really think they can do no wrong and are always correct so I would be massively wasting my time.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Isnt the dog only deemed to be under control if it is on a lead? i know that insurers will only pay out if it was on a lead at the time of an accident!

This isn’t true

mooman
    Free Member

Very depressing reading this thread … Why are some people always looking to put all the blame on to others?

Take the hit. You got up and walked away … you even happen to have a pretty good funny story to tell about it too.

aracer
    Free Member

Almost, but not quite as bad as grocers’ apostrophes 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some really do think they can do no wrong, are always correct and should never be held accountable for their actions.

Internet trolls for example?

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of a circular argument. But I’ll take that as a no, you can’t actually find such an example, hence your assertion is a load of bollocks. Feel free to prove me wrong…

cubist
    Free Member

a black dog

Racist!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Given there are no witnesses to the accident, so it’s your word against his, and you’ve already admitted to being unsighted by his lights immediately prior to passing him, you’ll struggle to get anywhere with a compensation claim via insurance or the small claims court.

iolo
    Free Member

ditch_jockey – Member
    Given there are no witnesses to the accident, so it’s your word against his, and you’ve already admitted to being unsighted by his lights immediately prior to passing him, you’ll struggle to get anywhere with a compensation claim via insurance or the small claims court.

This

rene59
    Free Member

I am increasingly reminded of this chap reading the forum of late.

njee20
    Free Member

Ill declare one thing first. My other half screws dogs (and other things) back together.

Poor choice of place to put the parentheses, you don’t want people pausing there, really, or they may end up with an ill informed view of your OH.

Considering what they get brought in for if a dog bounces off anythings its bloody lucky. The vet bills for stuff like this are generally large (5k as a starting point) so please don’t go thinking that animals will learn or whatever from being hit by a bike.

What? So because vet bills are expensive, we shouldn’t assume that a dog will learn from being hit?

Trailseeker
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Self portrait, rene?

project
    Free Member

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-dog-accident-cyclist-may-7577154

and since then quite a few dog walkers seemto have fitted their dogs with reflective collars and flasding led lights when out in the dark

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/6375616/Hotel-owner-faces-ruin-after-customer-hit-by-dog.html

also a freind who had just took early retirement was recently hit by an uncontrolled dog, the idiot owner refused to help or call an ambulance and just walked off, result broken leg, 3 days in hospital and 12 weeks recovery so far.

aracer
    Free Member

Headline appears to be totally wrong for that story!

luketracey

I’m in the accidents happen category.

But also learn from stuff category,

I’m guessing animal owner won’t be riding with an animal (especially at night) having realized what harm can come to his animal though inability to control the animal when a bike/ runner /car/space hopper is approaching.

And I would imagine OP will s**t himself and slow down anytime he can’t see a full 20 yards ahead.

I personally will substitute the word “animal” for “child who has just learned to ride”

I’m almost certain we will all revert to our previous behaviours before too long, because lets face it bikes are fun!

Hope you get better soon OP

hora
    Free Member

Looks like he’s nursing a boner in that pic? Maybe the dog was attracted to that 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

Mooman wrote:

mooman – Member
    Very depressing reading this thread … Why are some people always looking to put all the blame on to others?

Take the hit. You got up and walked away … you even happen to have a pretty good funny story to tell about it too.

A dog is injured or dead, I’m hurt. Shouldn’t you be over at Liveleek?

martinxyz
    Free Member

My boss called, he said something along the lines of ‘I take it this didn’t happen on *Dog Dodgers descent then?!’

*A part of the Strathpuffer course!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

What a joke, generation of mommy’s boys, so you fell over big deal. No broken bones, no time off work. 3 god damn pages of this tripe.
    You continued to go forward though you admit you couldn’t see and the dog was off the lead, look where your going or stop if you can’t see.

tonyd

Custard Cream anyone?

cinnamon_girl

Was the other cyclist actually in control of his dog? Nope, thought not. Spot the dog owners in this thread!

imnotverygood

Cyclist Wins Compensation From Dog Owner
    24-Nov
    A cyclist has been awarded £14,000 in compensation after he was injured when a dog ran under the wheel of his bicycle.

Ken MacLennan, 65, was cycling though a park when a spaniel that had been let off its lead ran into his path. Mr MacLennan was thrown over the handlebars and suffered a fractured pelvis.

After the accident, Mr MacLennan was in hospital for a month and was forced to use crutches for a further three months. In total he had to have six months off work and was unable to cycle, walk or drive without experiencing pain. It is unlikely that he will ever recover fully from the injury he sustained.

Pet owners have a legal responsibility to safeguard others from the potential dangers posed by their animals. If pets cause an accident, their owners may be liable for any resulting damages.

If you have been injured by an animal as a result of the owner’s failure to control it, you could be entitled to compensation.

Admittedly from what looks like an ambulance chasing website.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Welcome pitch pro ….the worlds slowest troll… I guess he has just got up given its just past 3 pm

C-G I dont think it is a dog owner v non dog owner thing but idiots v not idiots.

ajantom

*puts flameproof suit on*
    Dogs are horrible animals that poo everywhere, bark at and chase cyclists, and like humping things. All dog owners should be forced to give up their dogs and get a cat, much more relaxing. Discuss.

P.s. some of my best friends own dogs, but still, meh.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off on cycle path by dog – injured. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.