Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Kneepads that you can pedal in?
  • theotherjonv

I smacked down hard at swinley at the weekend – minor wheel washout but the surface when dry is very unforgiving, and one knee looks like it’s been hit with a baseball bat and then grated. In particular, I’ve landed spot on my tibial tuberosity, the lumpy bit just under your kneecap, and i don’t fancy doing it again. Just pressing with a thumb enables me to attach myself to the ceiling by my fingernails!!

I’ve never ridden in kneepads – I do own a pair of old, second hand ‘stormtrooper style’ 661 knee and shin pads that i bought for a peaks trip that i never went on, and tried them for size and found them very odd even round the block. However, I’m now considering a pair of more XC style ones just while the bruising disappears from this current injury.

What are – not too clumsy, not too ridiculous looking, not too pricey, and won’t interfere too much with the actual getting on and pedalling bit of riding? Any recommendations?

ChrisI

G-Form – minimal padding but it does work and is very comfy/flexible for riding

shredder
    Free Member

I have these Raceface Charge
    Pedal all day in them minimum padding but saved my knee in a recent off.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I do like my nukeproofs. Forget im wearing them most of the time, although can be a bit sweaty when your working hard and its hot.

richmtb

I’m liking my Endura MT500s.

Not as low profile as the G-form but fit me well and easy to pedal in

Northwind

All decent kneepads tbh! A pad you can’t pedal comfortably in for a good duration isn’t fit for purpose. Fit is important too though. I was a big fan of the old Kyle Strait but discontinued now.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Quite happy to wear my 661 Kyle Straits all day long. They do get a bit sweaty, and its not nice if you get a bet of mud/grit caught down them, so I do take them off for long climbs.

Wouldn’t mind a lower profile pad, but not going to change them until I need to.

hainman
    Free Member

i use raceface digs and have wore them during the climbs to the top at Spooky woods at glentress on a few occasions,wee bit clamy yes but not uncomfortable

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Troy Lee KG5400s

Trekster

Tried loads before finding some Raceface ones that fitted my knobbly knees.
    All brands have different shapes, fits, securing methods so it is an individual/personal choice thing imo.

prawny

To be fair I think all the soft pads are pretty decent these days. I’ve got Kyle Straits and I’ve done over 30 miles in them before without being uncomfortable. If I was buying now I’d probably go for the evo’s or whatever they’re called, got a good write up in WMB this month, the leatt one’s came top.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nukeproofs here, wore hem in the Alps, and didn’t notice them.

deano8
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro’s have been great, forget they’re on:)

scottalej
    Free Member

Yeah Fox Launch Pro’s are comfy but mine are falling apart.

SOAP
    Free Member

I have never worn knee pads mtbing but got some 661 evos from chaino’s a few weeks back for £49.
    Not a massive amount of padding but better than nothing and you can hardly notice they are on.
    Big gap behind the knee so no pinching at all.
    Well happy with them.

BoardinBob

I like my Bliss basic knee pads

http://www.blisscamp.com/snowboarding/protection/protection-girls/bliss-knee-pad/a-18796/

For some reason the link says girls, but knees are knees

honourablegeorge

IXS Flow look a nice option

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ this

Am on my second pair. Great fit, they stay put and every time I fall off it’s like ‘hey that didn’t hurt!’

mcnultycop

My O’Neal ones are pretty big but I pedal in them without any issues. Knee pads are just one of hose things you need to try on to get right.

Rickos
    Free Member

Nukeproof pads are super comfy, but a bit thick so end up hot. I use those in the cold weather and a set of Alpinestars for the summer, which are OK but not as comfy as the Nukes.

theotherjonv

Just ordered up a pair of G-form – have seen a few folks wearing them and while they do look a bit TMNT, they also look low enough profile that they’ll go under 3/4’s and not make me look all gnarr. Which i’m not.

headpotdog
    Free Member

^^ this

Great fit, they stay put and every time I fall off it’s like ‘hey that didn’t hurt!’

Exactly what I was thinking too. Great pads 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I wore my basic 661 Riot pads in Wales at the weekend and even 5 mins into the 1st ride I couldn’t tell I was wearing them.

Didn’t slip once in a good blast around the Dragons Back.

dibboid
    Free Member

Fox launch pros here too. And yes you forget they’re on. Typical quality you expect from Fox. 🙂

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

661 riot pads, wear them all day without issue – sweaty, but forget they are on when .

I’m sure there are better

chrispayze
    Free Member

I spent 3 hrs pedalling up and hooning down Bike Park Wales last weekend in my 661 Evos. The only pads I’ve ever not got sore bits behind my knees from.

matther01
    Free Member

TLD 5450 for me…bit of shin protection too.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

POC, whatever the fancy “gets hard on impact” pads are called. I have the slightly cheaper, older version and they are perfect. Only remotely uncomfy when I managed to get sand inside them at a wet Cannock. That could happen to any pads though.

shackster
    Free Member

Another vote for Fox launch pros. Proper protection and they are more comfortable to ride in than I could ever have imagined. They’re my first ever pads and I was wary of riding in them but they’re great.

banks
    Free Member

Without starting a debate or whatever.

Wouldn’t bother with the more XC orientated pads, only prevent smaller injuries are useless when really needed.

Look at/demo if you can the fox launch, nukeproof critical, poc stuff, race face ambush, scott grenade.

Something with D30 or a proper hard cap

theotherjonv

I do get that, and I do have a pair of stormtrooper pads / shin pads for any serious rocky rides that I’d do. I just need something that is better than skin for my normal xc loops around Surrey.

chiefgrooveguru

Very impressed with Launch Pro – they feel much smaller than they look! I’d recommend trying lots of different pads as all legs are different – I used an online shop with free returns and bought six pairs and kept one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nukeproofs here. Very comfy, a bit hot but I find hat benefits my knees. Totally forget I’ve got them on.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got Troy Lee ones following recommendations on here (the response seems far more varied than last time). The sizing’s a bit funny though – I’m in XS which cay they’re for people weighing up to 90lbs, and I’m getting on for double that – maybe I’ve got especially small knees.

Tried some g-form ones, but found they rucked up and rubbed on the back of my knee (oh and those were medium and possibly a bit tight!) The TLs are a lot more comfy and I did manage to forget I was wearing them

poonprice
    Free Member

I have some Nukeproof knee pads and have worn them on long backcountry days with no problems.

The neoprene type material seems to be on its way out after about 9months but I think its because they might be a size too small.

wozza180
    Free Member

Raceface rampage,they undo from the back so no pissing about with shoes or slipping them down your shins to cool off,slim profile don’t even know you’ve got them on, just got back from a week in France and they were the nuts, I had 661 Kyle straits before but these are way better.

nwill1
    Free Member

Always wore 661 Kyles, never tried anything else to compare but don’t feel the need, wear them for all types or riding including XC. I notice when I don’t where them just how much my knees hit the bike.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Kneepads that you can pedal in?’ is closed to new replies.