Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • knee protection and bib longs under baggies…….
  • iainc

Have started wearing Bliss Minimalists on most of my rides due to my old creaky knees and they have been great over the summer. Bit of a wardrobe function failure at Drumlanrig yesterday morning, where the close to freezing air temperature dictated bib longs. Unsurprisingly the Bliss pads don’t hold up as well on smooth lycra as hairy sweaty legs !

Any simple solutions ?

lunge

Pads under the Lycra?

iainc

^^^^ yeah, I did wonder about that…, I guess they would stretch over ok and a bit of compression to keep them in place

iainc

might look a bit weird though … 🙂

lunge

might look a bit weird though

You’re a grown man riding a push bike, the looking a bit weird ship sailed long ago…

iainc

🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I just don’t wear bib longs for MTB anymore, even in the snow. Shins and calves don’t really seem to feel the cold.

But if you must cover them up – long socks and/or some kind of knee/shin protection?

sillyoldman

Wear mine under 3/4s all the time – helps them stay in place.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shorts and short sleeves yesterday from before 9am. Man up soldier.

iainc

^^^^^ where were you riding nobeer ? I arrived at deserted Drumlanrig carpark for 9, rode red/black, back to car just after 11, only 2 other cars there, none with bikes.

2 hrs of lovely solitude, trails were stunning, if a bit slippery. Temp at 11 was 6.5 degrees…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was 5.5 in Grizedale forest on my Garmin until we broke cover up toward the top. Frost on the van and surrounding grass when I woke to register.

iainc

^^ sounds good, when you get to my age Greg you need your knees wrapped up when it’s below 10 degrees 🙂

…anyway, you put me on to those Bliss pads, what do you do when its proper cold ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Same as Chakaping up there ^^^^^

As long as my feet, hands and lumbar area are warmish, I’m fine. Bibshorts and kneepads and sealskins, my shins don’t get cold.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Another one with chakaping here; shins and calves rarely feel cold. Good layered top half and head. Bib shorts with water/wind reasonably proof baggies, knee pads, good set of socks and shoes suitable to the conditions – pull ’em up to close the gap if it gets really cold or the midges start biting.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Go the other way and wear long socks with under shorts and then the knee pads take up the slack without slip from any party involved.

momo

Decent length thick merino socks to bridge the gap up to the pads, I never get cold knees when wearing my knee pads! Although I do use pads which are a bit more substantial than the Bliss ones.

ads678

Footy socks or DH type troos, colour scheme* is up to you!!

*I couldn’t bring myself to say colour way…..

iainc

thanks for ideas, will try the options and report back 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘knee protection and bib longs under baggies…….’ is closed to new replies.