• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Knee pain/swelling the day after a road ride
  • _tom_
    Free Member

On Thursday I went for a road ride, just a 25 miler same as i do most days, and friday/yesterday/today my right knee has been quite painful. Feels tight when I bend it and it’s definitely a bit swollen. My knee is a little bit temperamental since I twisted it a good few years back but never gives me this much grief. Usually just a bit sore if anything at all. My pedal/shoe/saddle setup hasn’t changed so it can’t be that (though my cleats are very worn and tatty following a puncture – induced walk home a few months back). However 2 things have changed – I go a new cassette with a slightly different ratio to the old one, I think it’s 25-11 rather than the old 28-11. I’ve also moved house and my new route has a couple more hills on it.

It’s swollen on the sides and it’s hard to pinpoint the exact location as sometimes it feels like the back of my knee and others under the kneecap.

Any suggestions how I can avoid this pain again? And don’t say ride a mtb instead!

cookeaa

My pedal/shoe/saddle setup hasn’t changed so it can’t be that (though my cleats are very worn and tatty following a puncture – induced walk home a few months back).

2 things have changed – I go a new cassette with a slightly different ratio to the old one, I think it’s 25-11 rather than the old 28-11. I’ve also moved house and my new route has a couple more hills on it.

Internetz diagnosis:

Your cleats/position either were set up a bit off or the wear has had an effect and putting more strain on your knees with some extra climbing and harder gearing has just exacerbated it a bit…

Fresh cleats first, then think about body position, range of motion/angle at your knee and hips throughout the pedal stroke…

nickc

possibly trying too hard? most knee pain (unless new set up on bike) is over use

I think the steps on the smaller cassettes are 1 on from the larger aren’t they, so chain in a middle-ish position in the new cassette you’ll be pushing a harder gear, not a massive amount, but probs. enough if there are more hills as well.

Alternatively…road bikes…pfffttt 😆

wicki
    Free Member

Cassette and hills

Same thing happend to me when i got a new bike and moved to a hilly area be carfull mine took a long time to settle down and not until i took it seriously and treated with meds and ice.

damascus
    Free Member

Do you do any knee stretching before you ride or just set off full speed from the start?

As I get older I need to do more stretching to protect my knees.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Move your cleats rearward; don’t point your toes; spin, don’t mash; drop your heels; push forwards, not down. Pedal like Bradley Wiggins, not Peter Sagan.

dovebiker

If the pain is on the front of knee/ patellar tendon then possibly over-doing it. If the pain is on either side of the knee, more likely to be due to poor position cleat/foot alignment putting unwanted rotational forces through the knee. Impossible to diagnose without seeing the pedalling action/ rider position. Rest, ice and maybe anti-inflammatories until it calms down.

dudeofdoom

I’m wiv the spin and don’t mash brigade …..I think I’ve 11-32 cassette on the back…

You really don’t want patellar tendon issues by over doing it….takes way to long to get over it >.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I recommend a physio visit. Or you go down the route of getting a foam roller or even a tennis ball and get to work on your thighs. Your muscles could be tight and spasmed pulling your knee in all sorts of directions. Especially since you mentioned you’ve had a bit of a knock.

tomd
    Free Member

I can get a very sore knee / inflammation from time to time. It’s basically caused by imbalanced / tight muscles in my legs and ass making my knee wonky. It feels awful for a few weeks but is cured (once inflammation has gone) by strength training and stretching in no time for me.

A good sports physio will be quickly be able to work it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Knee pain/swelling the day after a road ride’ is closed to new replies.