Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Knee pain how long to stay off the bike
  • wicki
    Free Member

I recently took a road bike geared 52/40/30 out for a ride Usually ride nothing taller than 48/36/26 I was enjoying the speed of the bike and was on very hilly terrain after the ride I had quite bad knee pain to the front and bottom of the kneecap 3 weeks later and i have not been on a bike since I still have pain but less, Is this a case for the doctor or just wait it out ?

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I’m not a doctor. Sounds to me like “jumper’s knee”. I had this but at the top. Doc prescribed anti inflammatories. However the thing that fixed it was shockwave therapy. Basically ultrasound. Had it done here Optimum Performance Clinic

That’s just my experience. I’d advise a visit to a doctor and a good sports physio. It could be a muscle imbalance that thye can help you fix or maybe you just over did it

alanf
    Free Member

I had this at the start of the year and was down to having the saddle too low (only by about 5mm).
    I did some low intensity spinning on the turbo (correct saddle height) for about 3 weeks and running in between which was also painful but seemed to ease eventually.
    In hindsight I probably started back too soon but was gearing up for Flanders so I wanted to keep moving.
    I would rest it and start back slowly without too much stress on the knee and if you feel the pain stop. Ease it back in gently and you should be fine but check the saddle height is correct for you.
    EDIT: I think it was patella tendonitis where the tendons that keep the kneecap aligned and moving in the correct orientation is inflammed.

wicki
    Free Member

Hi i have looked up jumpers knee and that seams to be the symptoms I have, ill try ice and anti inflammatory for a few days and see if it helps if not its of to the Doc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Knee pain how long to stay off the bike’ is closed to new replies.