Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Knee pain – any ideas ?
  • lowey

Went fell walking on Saturday for the 1st time in a while then biking Sunday. On Monday, I have started with a dull ache in the back of my knee. It is worst when the leg is fully extended, sat with my knee bent is no problem but walking, when I transfer the weight over the leg and the rear of the knee is at full extension is killing me.

Going to the gp but cant get in till Friday. Any ideas ?

Pezzers
    Free Member

pain in the back of the knee after biking can mean incorrect sadle position do a google for correct saddle positioning.

lowey

Pezzers, not that. Nothing changed on the bike in 8 years. Ride twice a week.

I think it maybe to do with the walk I did, maybe stained something. I have always had very tight hamstrings and think I may have streched that.

Shitting it really. The thought of not being able to bike is horrendous.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like a loose patella causing inflammation.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow , can you diagnose my elbow problem over the internet that specifically too please ?

For me a base to start at with that would be to get your hamstrings and calves stretched out and supple – avoids alot of grief in the long run !

then take it from there by going to a real physio if pain stays instead of internet witch doctors.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Your elbow problem – caused by too much solo pleasuring. The only solution is to stop. Or buy a bag of liver to hump.

(BTW – I suggested that as the symptoms sound identical to ones I had and that was my problem. A patella support – a thin strap UNDER the kneecap, NOT a big compression support – solved my problem). I diagnosed my problem myself via the interweb.

I do agree though – perhaps proper diagnosis might be better.

elliptic
    Free Member

+1 for going direct to physio (GP probably won't be much help unless they're a sporty type).

BUT.

In my experience chopping and changing between fell walking / running / climbing / mountain biking it's not unusual to get all sorts of weird aches and pains when I switch from one activity to another.

ie. enough basic fitness to work quite hard but the wrong set of neuromuscular adaptions and flexibility = shock to the system.

That's not to say you shouldn't get it checked out, but try not to panic too much! Ice/ibuprofen can't hurt but otherwise take it easy for a few days, do more stretching after it's settled down, and you may well just shrug it off.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Sports physio is your best bet.
    £36 a session here.
    Also, I've found stretching from cold, say in front of the TV on an evening to be completely useless. You need your body to be warm, post bathtime or exercise or somesuch.

scant
    Free Member

try a slightly lower saddle height.

lowey

Thanks chaps. I'm in Bupa so see if I can get a referal from the GP.

marp
    Free Member

Could be either your calves or hamstrings. Depends where the pain is. If its more in the middle at the back its more likely your gastrocs/soleus (calf) than hams. Would fit with fell walking if there was a lot of up hill and down dale type action. The calves generate a lot of power in pushing you up onto your toes.

Quick muscle check – does it hurt to push up on to tip toes and hold on to tip toes on the sore leg? (do this on the sore leg only)

Does it hurt to hang the heel on the sore leg down off of a step (try to push the heel down to stretch the calf)?

If either of these are sore then calf is most likely.

Does it hurt to pull your heel up to your bottom? (ie bend your knee?) What if someone resists this movement? (Try at different angles of knee flexion)

If this is so more likely hams…

They're a couple of quick checks but best to get and see a physio face to face and let them have a proper look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Knee pain – any ideas ?’ is closed to new replies.