Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Knee Pads Again
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This could be a moon on a stick fantasy quest but which pads best resist being whipped down your legs on impact? My Fox Launch Pro’s certainly don’t judging by the scars on both knees.

I’ve seen several videos of pro’s crashing and their knee pads (being new and of decent quality as they get them for nowt) from various brands getting whipped straight down the legs. Aaron Gwins most recent crash at Lenzerheide for example.

I take it there is no practical way to prevent it, other than not crash landing on your knees, or not riding a bike fast on difficult terrain in the first place.

Northwind

The only time I’ve ever had it happen with my kyle straits and (old model) rages is if I’ve not done the top strap up right. WHich to be fair, I do quite often, especially as they age and the velcro tires. I suppose it has to be affected by the shape of the knee too?

my big POC Bone cricket pads are pretty much part of my leg, once on, but they’re too much for normal riding- in fact I can’t really be bothered with them for dh now either

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I do the top and bottom straps up tight enough to just about let the blood flow!

Ice hockey goalie 😆 Makes sense that integrated shin pads would reduce downward vertical movement, hitting the top of the foot when dragged along the ground.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I got a set of POC VPD2 DH knee pads recently, had a nice spill and knees are grand. Probably too much for trail riding, but the hard plastic outer seemed to slide on the ground more than ones with a fabric outer which tends to catch.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I use isx cleavers as they are also shin guards, so cant really side down much further anyway. I dont really do pedally rides so they suit me fine.

rocketman
    Free Member

ime none of the armoured-leg-warmers stay in place and as above some of the knobbly-knee hardshells aren’t much better.

The only ones I’ve had that have stayed put are those with a long upper section secured by a strap, specifically

* Scott Grenade Pro II
    * 7 iDP Flex

In both case they stayed put because they were a great fit more than anything

poah
    Free Member

My trailskins have started to slide down my legs but they are old and pretty worn. They didn’t do it when new. I think a lot depends on the leg shape and pad combo.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Some food for thought cheers.

sargey2003

I have some 661 pads that clip to 661 (inner) shorts. Very secure but I wouldn’t want to ride all day in them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pads Again’ is closed to new replies.