Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Knee pad advice please
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK, off on hols next month and the holiday people say ‘no knee pads, no ride’ so i need to buy some.

I’ve narrowed it down the Fox Launch Pro knee pads or the Raceface Rally FR leg combi.

The Fox is a pure kneepad whilst the Raceface is a knee/shinguard job. Fox is £40 whilst the Faceface is £30 in the sales.

Anyone tried them?

For what its worth i have very short legs so the Raceface may be a problem, although the sizing says it will fit.

Northwind

Why have you ruled out Kyle Straits? Cheaper than the Foxes, and very similiar… They get my recommendation, you can wear them all day but they still give better protection than most (lots of side protection). No hard shell but I’m not convinced that’s all that important personally.

jedi

scott grenades are my fave and have been trying out scott zero zero knee/shins recently. the shin part is removable.

both are hard cap pads not pliable like the fashion is 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I tried the Kyle straights on in a shop and found them to be uncomfy is the answer!
    In fact i didn’t get on with any of the 661 range, only thing i liked was the Fox but they didn’t have it in my size 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, both the Fox and the RF are hard caps and with my history of broken knees i want that! Not seen the Scott ones though…

thebunk

Found that the Racefaces sort of dig in to the side of my knees, and they’re quite hot, so I’d strap them to my frame until it started to point downhill – far too much faff. Got some Endura kneepads which have better knee coverage and are far more comfortable, though they are soft.

I’d try some on as many as you can though, specially if you have to wear them all week.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

So not good for riding uphill whilst wearing then?

Hmm, i’m looking for some that i can wear all day if i have to and the Fox and/or the Kyle Straights are the type that you have to take your shoe off to get them on it appears.

jedi

scott 0 zero

the shin is removeable. i wear the knee part only

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmm, i’ll google that – ta Jedi!

Comfy? any slippage issues etc?

jedi

very comfy and they dont slip on impact!

FieldMarshall

Hi Jedi,

I still havent found a local scott dealer that will source them for me.

Have you tried the shin part, as looks like it is quite short based on that image?

jedi

its not that short when i put them on but i took that bit off (gave the shin bit away saturday actually)

FieldMarshall

(gave the shin bit away saturday actually)

After what you said on my skills day, that doesnt suprise me.

Anytime you fancy giving your bike away, let me know!! 😀

jedi

🙂 🙂 i gave 3 away this year!

Coyote
    Free Member

Race Face Digs. Comfy, stay in place and in your price bracket.

AndyA
    Free Member

Used Kyle straits, raceface fr and the fox launch knees over the years and I’d say the fox’s are the best. I like that they’re pre-shaped, which feels strange when you first try them on, but makes sense once on the bike.

jedi

both pads in use

Herts_DJ_0044 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

Herts 0002 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

continuity
    Free Member

Race face digs are pretty similar to kyle straights, but cheaper.

Northwind

Those zero zeros look mint, need to keep an eye out for those

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the Fox pads and love them. So does everyone I know who has them.

Much more comfy than a knee-shin combo for riding XC and also more effective than my old 661 knee/shin pads in a crash as they don;t rotate.

Same probably true of many knee pads, but the Fox ones are dead comfy too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Knee pad advice please’ is closed to new replies.