Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knee ligament damage
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

Got hit by a car on Saturday night. Escaped with knee ligament damage. was told it would take three weeks. I’m in a splint and on crutches. Anyone else had this and will be knee always have trouble now, like someone told me tonight?

allthegear
    Free Member

I did mine in Norway and it took longer than that to heal but it did heal properly – no problems now at all.

Rachel

bigG
    Free Member

It all depends on what you’ve done. There are several ligaments in your knee, have you snapped one? Strained one? Bruised it? Tweaked it?

Recovery times and treatment all depend on what you’ve done, and how rigorous you are in following physio instructions if needed

G

sharki
    Free Member

Took mine al lot longer then 3 weeks to heal enough to ride on it and it’s still shafted as found out a month or so ago.

No niggley pains, it’s just weak and prone to recurrent damage if i ask to much of it when falling of jumping..

Rest and lots of good and well advised physio will help it heal properly giving less chance of future problems.

Mind you mine was a severe hyper extension followed by poor rest and physio, then much more abuse and tearings..

Dino
    Free Member

Take it easy especially for first couple of weeks, ligaments heal slowly ( not much blood supply and made of collagen),
    also keep mobile and resist twisting moments to affected knee. Physio can help shorten rehab,
    Give it a few weeks and if it doesn’t start to setlle, insist u get a scan just to check for other damage.
    Screwed mine few years back and had to go under knife for ligament repair.
    best of luck buddy 😛

Scamper
    Free Member

What have you specifically done? Knee surgery and treatment certainly seems to have come on in recent years so no reason why you should make a full recovery although will need to keep leg strength up.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Done the ones on the inside of my knee. Hurts a lot when I bend it. Any twisting movement is very painful. Don’t think nothing is torn or ruptured. I know they take a long time to heal. I’m pessimistic about 3 weeks to recover but I’ll see.

Bregante

I ruptured my cruciate last week doing nothing more than walking up a step. I put up with it for 3 days before popping down to a&e but by then it was so swollen (apparently too much blood/fluid) they won’t be able to assess the damage for at least a week. I’m in a splint too and totally peed off as I was just regaining fitness after a dreadful year of injuries last year.

It also takes my sickness days to over 16 in 2 years which means I am ineligible to apply for a new role at work 👿

senorj

Anyone else had this and will be knee always have trouble now, like someone told me tonight?

I’ve had my right anterior cruciate ligament replaced after too many years of it giving way and leaving me on the floor.Provided you haven’t tore it, it will heal.
    Let the swelling go down – 3-4 weeks. Physio will help.
    When you start to use it again you will know if it is damaged.
    (i.e. you will no longer have the “support” in the leg when twisting/turning)
    Hassle your G.P to refer you for a MRI scan.
    If you have access to private medical treatment use it.

Scamper
    Free Member

When you say inside your knee, do you mean actually inside you knee (2 cruciates) or on the inside of your knee (medial). If its the latter, these can really, really hurt even with just a minor injury as they have apparently a lot of flex in them. The cruciates inside are quite tight and add stability.

For what’s it worth i’ve had 4 right knee ops, the first 20 years ago. Not sure exactly what the original injury was, and as a indestructable 19yr old was not that worried, but was told i could forget sport. Only found out finally at my last op 6 years ago i appear to not have much cruciate left ie they did not reconstruct them during the original operation, although scar tissue is doing a job. At the time also did something to the medial, which if i recall made my eye’s water i could not even move my leg. Have had a fair amount of cartilage removed and can’t run, apparently walk with a limp, and the arthritus hurts like buggery when its cold. But i can still bike. 😀

jamiep
    Free Member

ive torn the medial, which took about 1 month before cycling again but 5 months before footying again

dont rush to get bac and do your exercises to minimise the scarring

mudmonster
    Free Member

Hhhmm, no idea they didn’t name specific “bits”. The pain is on the side of my knee on the inside. It’s a bit swollen.

thejesmonddingo

Did the car hit you on the outside of the knee? If so,you’ve probably got a partialtear of the medial collateral ligament,hurts like h**l,I know ,I did it ,but should be back on the bike in 6-8 weeks.Physio,and a doctor who knows what they’re doing helps IME.
    Ian

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knee ligament damage’ is closed to new replies.