Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Knee-friendly clipless pedals
  • bigjim

What are the most knee friendly clipless pedals these days? Years ago it was the time ones, but I’ve been riding flats for years.

They aren’t for me, they are for someone who has been fine with flats for years, went back to (pretty old) Shimano SPDs and within a week had terrible knee pain, which has gone again after going back to flats.

TIA

rob2
    Free Member

Look quartz.

I have shocking knees and these are great. Bit fiddly to set up but I really like them

donsimon
    Free Member

I would have thought any clipless system which provides reasonable float would be fine.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Crank brothers for a decent amount of float so you can find your natural position without thinking about it?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

A mate of mine has dodgy knees and swears by speedplays.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well you could try you SPDs but with multi-release cleats.

steveh

Still time’s in my book, the best for bad knees for many years now.

ftr1873
    Free Member

+1 for Time pedals.

sockpuppet

time.

stooo
    Free Member

Was an serious shimano user for years and years… recently (about 8 months ago) switched to time ROC pedals. Superb, really impressed with the level of float, easy of entry/exit and the stability and support.

Times = Great.

tbant
    Free Member

Time sorted my problems, so another +1 for them.

igm

Time

sambob
    Free Member

Time

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 Time ROC. Probably like many others I spent years thinking Shimano pedals were the business. How wrong I was.

Badger
    Free Member

Time or Crank Bros

both work on a similar principle and therefore both provide a lot more float than SPDs. SPDs have very little float and this forces your knee to follow a particularly pedalstroke path that its not used to or not comfortable – thats what causes the pain (and will eventually cause injury).
    There’s nowt wrong with SPDs as long as you get them set up to suit your bio-mechanics perfectly – but getting cleats 100% in the right place is a bit of a dark art – in fact if you get them set up perfectly they can help knees etc. as they stop you changing the angles that your knees working at…. but thats only really an issue if you’re riding vast distances etc. for us mere mortals its just easier to use a pedal with lots of float and let comfort/pain naturally get it set up right.

Starrman28
    Free Member

I have a pretty crappy condition left knee but have never had any problems with Shimano pedals. Not really sure its about float, anything set up poorly will give you trouble..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time.

[/thread]

donsimon
    Free Member

Strangely I only have knee problems with Time pedals. The release action for the left foot gives me problems. During the pedalling action they are ace, but not engaging or releasing. Great all rounders I find are Shimano.

iainc

Time also.

Had 4 lots of knee surgery and the cycling surgeon also reccomended Time. 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

I broke my ankle a few years ago and now find that flat (grippy) pedals give me more problems than SPD’s as they have no float at all 😯

coatesy
    Free Member

Tried quite a few myself,not been happy with any bar Speedplays,-greaseports, cartridge/needle roller bearings, plenty of controlled float(not side to side slop), and easy release.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Knee-friendly clipless pedals’ is closed to new replies.