Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • knaff marketing claims – what's the daftest you have come across
  • muddy9mtb

What’s the most stupid marketing guff you have seen? just bought some muc off brake disc cleaner that has splashed all over it the word “re-hydrating”??????????????? http://muc-off.com/clean/56-disc-brake-cleaner-5037835913002.html
    forgive me for appearing stupid but I have no intention of re-hydrating a piece of steel – if anything the exact ducking opposite. don’t get me wrong I like the muc off stuff but please …really!
    Like M&S trying to charge more for the “hand picked leeks” knowing full well there is no other way of picking ducking leeks.
    And as for Anti-Bac soap!!!! don’t get me started.

toby1

Current advert for a Bosch oven, with:

“3D HotAir plus technology”

It’s a FAN, a FLIPPIN FAN, IN A HOT OVEN, IT’S NOT 3 BLOODY D TECHNOLOGY, IT’S A FAN BLOWING AIR ROUND A BOX WHICH WE’VE HAD FOR AGES – AAARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Can you tell that I’m a big fan of this advert and probably going to buy the oven?

muddy9mtb

you mean hotpoint 😆 but bosch may take that as a compliment?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Makes the trail come alive… etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anything I say when closing a sales pitch…

eshershore
    Free Member

@muddy

re-hydrating is perhaps the wrong word?

they use a proprietary conditioner that prepares the brake pad surface, as the cleaning agent by itself can make the brake very noisy under hard braking

you can find this if you use isopropyl alcohol by itself to clean brake pads and rotors

Northwind

Giant’s 650b mental breakdown. “You know that Giant 26er or 29er you own and love? It’s SHITE! Every bike we’ve ever made is NOT WORTH RIDING! What were you thinking? What were we thinking? Don’t sell it, have it safely destroyed at a government containment facility in case it pollutes your new magic wheels”

bearnecessities

Stoner
    Free Member

“Don’t blend in”

‘course not. Just drive the same anodyne looking car as everyone else and grow a trendy bushy beard. ****!

muddy9mtb

this is a spade
    and this is a …..

knuff said

lerk
    Free Member

No-one else cottoned onto the fact that they supply Team Sky with disc brake cleaner yet then???
    What do Team Sky use that for then???

dunmail
    Free Member

Anything, and I mean anything, by the cosmetics industry. “Makes your hair come alive” Really? It’s deader than a Norwegian Blue Parrot from the moment it leaves the follicle, nothing is going to “revive” it.

66deg
    Free Member

Years of use 20.
    Hoards of totty fought off….0.

muddy9mtb

oh but maybe this?
    go on you know you want to

honourablegeorge

There’s an Opel/Vauxhall advert for some daft little urban 4×4 where Claudia Schiffer uses a hill descent control to drive out of… a multi storey car park.

ampthill

Do pro roadies want disc brakes?

Perhaps like the cyclocross riders they’ll agree to use them in the dry

richardk
    Free Member

Are you lot all engineers or IT techs who want all products to look like this? Where’s your imagination?

devash
    Free Member

“Makes the trails come alive.”

End of discussion.

chiefgrooveguru

“3D HotAir plus technology”
    It’s a FAN, a FLIPPIN FAN, IN A HOT OVEN, IT’S NOT 3 BLOODY D TECHNOLOGY, IT’S A FAN BLOWING AIR ROUND A BOX WHICH WE’VE HAD FOR AGES – AAARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I think our new Bosch oven has that. It’s a lot more even in temperature around the whole oven than our last two fan ovens. 3D vision or whatever FTW! 😛

muddy9mtb

this is spade

and so is this

mj27
    Free Member

I have some jeans that have twisted legs that ‘anticipate my next move’. How do they do that when I don’t know what I am going to do!!

muddy9mtb

are they your special “get me home” when I’m drunk jeans?

stumpy01

Stoner – Member
    “Don’t blend in”

‘course not. Just drive the same anodyne looking car as everyone else and grow a trendy bushy beard. ****!

I saw this advert and thought exactly the same thing.
    Ooooh, you trend setter, zooming around in your erm, oh wait a minute…..is that a small Vauxhall faux 4×4 people carrier thing? Sure, don’t blend in duuuude!

aP
    Free Member

ducking

Is this some kind of Americanism, or is it just swear filter avoidance?

BigJohn

It’s a real thing

stumpy01

Also – GAH!!

The holiday adverts where they show a family around a deserted pool with acres of space, rather than the reality of having to share it with about 1000 other people and having screaming families on either side of your sunbed who are slowly encroaching with dripping ice creams, inflatables and half drunk plastic beer glasses…..

Perhaps I should just choose the resort more carefully!?

nemesis
    Free Member

Probably still this

“Makes the trails come alive.”

But otherwise, anything with science in – Neutrilium, amino acids, etc with no explanation of why that might be a good thing to be in shampoo, etc.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Sorry muddy9mtb,they do harvest leeks with machines now. M+S say “Hand Picked” due to it being “not just ordinary leeks,but M+S leeks”,hand picked element would be the shelf stacker!!. 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Or car (or for that matter, any other product) that suggests that by buying it you will change everyone’s perception of you. For the better at least.

eg Nissan Navara – “It commands respect”

No it doesn’t. It might be justifiable if you have a need for it but if not, it makes most people think you’re inadequate in some way and are trying to prove something while raping the planet (exaggeration admitted 🙂 )

muddy9mtb

“oakley” for registering the word “unobtainium”… then using it everywhere.. genius
    Multiple interchangeable Unobtainium® nose pad options for customizable and comfortable secure fit
    http://uk.oakley.com/en/womens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/radar/product/W0OO9051

Sea Otter: Kappius’ magnetic hubs and carbon rims

Kappius’ carbon fibre and alloy hub shell is vented to prevent pressure buildup when braking. This keeps water and muck from being drawn into the bearings when the hub cools

Has anyone ever measured this “pressure build up”?
    Is cutting holes in the hub really the best way to cure this non existent problem, allowing the water and muck to be be pushed in to the bearings from the inside instead.
    STW’s copy & paster, er, I mean product reviewer, clearly thinks so.

nemesis
    Free Member

That is a good one 😆

muddy9mtb

you would have to do some serious braking for that “issue” to have any effect? like on a race track at 200mph ❗

gallowayboy

Anything homeopathic………..

klumpy
    Free Member

Any product (but especially one which which comes in liquid form) claiming to be “free of chemicals”!!?

muddy9mtb

I see James Dyson changed his “marketing” slogan from Our mission is simple “solve the problem at any cost” to “we find the solution others seem to ignore”
    to be fair Dyson is probably one of the few companies that has the resources to do it but somewhere physics would have a say

nemesis
    Free Member

Works for On-One/PX 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anything “not tested on animals”.

“every chip will eventually crack”

Special K claims of helping you lose weight (has more calories per kg than corn flakes, they just recommend a tiny portion).

Colgate “total” – they used to make toothpastes to cover lots of specific problems, but that seemed a bit unfair so they combined them all into “total” now they make a total for every kind of problem.

moshimonster
    Free Member

to be fair Dyson is probably one of the few companies that has the resources to do it but somewhere physics would have a say

I find Dyson quite frustrating. They come up with some excellent ideas and then make them out of the cheapest nastiest Airfix model plastic imaginable. Sorry Airfix that’s probably an unfair comparison!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘knaff marketing claims – what's the daftest you have come across’ is closed to new replies.