Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Knacked legs!
  • rattie79
    Free Member

So decided to try abit of trail running tuesday evening as the bikes waiting on a new bb.
    Not really run before, did about 5ish miles all off road (footpaths, fields, few big hills).
    Actually enjoyed it, so did the dogs. But now I am in world of pain!
    Walking up and down steps is making me laugh with pain.
    Now I ride twice a week with no problems and know I’ve probably used some muscles that I don’t use biking, but really is this normal? I nearly collapsed when I got out of bed this morning!
    Any advise? (apart from not running)
    Tar

weeksy

run more 🙂

jam-bo

stretch more.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Stop running.

rattie79
    Free Member

run more? Walking is a serious issue today, running would result in a pathetic bumbling collapse and never ending ridicule

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are only 2 good reasons to run
    From Death
    Closing Time

D0NK

chuckles. I’ve been there many times. Few days you’ll be reet, get out running again, it won’t be quite as bad next time. Stretching better certainly helps prevent injury but when you’re not used to running the pain you get (is it DOMS?) isn’t really helped by stretching IME. Practice!

or pack it in as a bad do.

variflex
    Free Member

Ah I know how you feel. Did a boxing day fun run a couple of years ago (I never run only cycle) as the wife kept saying I should try running. Like yours. mine trail running up and down hills. At the time I felt ok, so much so got to the finish and then did it on the 29er.

Got home and I couldnt walk down stairs for 3 days…quads were fubar’d.

Havent run since, put me right off.

fatboyjon

A hilly 5 miles is a tough start to running, that’s only a mile short of the mythical Tenkay distance that all new runners spend a year working up to in order to get it done in less than an hour. Wait for the pain to subside and try slowly building up from a couple of miles with steady increases as you get used to it. Try not to look at distances like a cyclist either, 5 miles sounds like bu99er all, until you run it.

Northwind

fwiw, I just recently got a physioroom spiky massage ball and it is the best £3.49 I will ever spend in my life, the feeling of relief when you mash it into sore muscles is amazing. Not sure if it makes any real difference other than comfort, I don’t care though!

ahwiles
    Free Member

running downhill is a great way to cause DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness); shortly after the run you might feel tired, but fine. The next day, you *might* feel fine. But within 2 days your Quads will feel like they’ve been smashed by a hammer.

there is no cure, the pain will fade over the next couple of days.

massage? – won’t help, unless you like pain.

ice bath? – nope.

gentle bike ride? – nope.

it’s just a matter of time.

you can eventually learn the skill of running downhill without over-loading your muscles.

(running uphill is just hard work, but running downhill is effing brutal – especially if you’re a heel-striker, how are your shins?)

toby1

stretch more.

And run shorter runs to start, build up to 5 milers rather than just going out and ruining yourself!

sandwicheater

You have bad aids, sorry.

rattie79
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I’m not going to let it put me off as I really enjoyed it, but don’t think it’ll ever replace biking. Need to run with dogs tho, I tried to train them as stw trail dogs but it just ends with all of us in a big heap at the bottom of a ditch

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

At least once a year I try to get back into running and it’s always painful and rarely lasts beyond half a dozen outings.
    Taking my running shoes and a lock in a backpack and riding to somewhere more interesting to start the run than my doorstep helps the enthusiasm.

ade9933
    Free Member

yeah – just ease in to it.

Shorter runs, slower runs, build it up. Different muscles to a bike.

Stretching afterwards also important.

egb81
    Free Member

Running 5 miles straight off is pretty hardcore, especially off road. Considering that running does the complete opposite to muscles than cycling does – running lengthens the muscles, cycling shortens – it’s no wonder you’re in pain. Throw into that varying pronation of joints and whether you’ve got suitable shoes to cover this then it becomes quite complicated to just launch into running such distances. Good shoes that suit your foot and pronation, warm up and warm down (this in particular) are very important. I’ve found a combination of stretches and an cold shower on the legs are the best way to ward off aches and pains.

medoramas
    Free Member

This is exactly what happened to me in the recent days! I run about 8km on Friday night. The pain has gone this morning! :mrgreen:

Mind you, day 3 was the worst…… 😆

rattie79
    Free Member

Sounds like your right ahwiles, I ran down some pretty steep hills and my finesse is not a strong point ( think more baby giraffe finding its feet ).
    Shins not to bad and I had proper trail running shoes on, feet and achelles heal quite sore tho.
    Looking forward to Day Three, thanks medoramas 🙂

medoramas
    Free Member

rattie79 I had been starting the days with ibuprofen… 😆

Mind, that I have no proper shoes – hundreds years old vans trainers made me think about every step I was taking…

Another run tonight! But I’ll cut it to 3km for time being… 8)

chum3
    Free Member

Ahh, yes – It took me many attempts to get through my thick head that aerobic fitness doesn’t mean you can jump from one exercise to another without consequence.

I avoid running, not because I don’t enjoy it, or think it’s bad for me, but because I know if I go out for a straightforward run, say 10k (45ish mins), I will be ruined for at least three days, and that’s lost time I could be doing other things.

If you’re interested in exercise generally, I can recommend reading The First 20 Minutes. Lots of interesting bits of info based on up to date research, a lot of it contrary to popular/common exercise belief.

I only mention it here, on reading comments above re ‘proper running shoes’, importance of stretching in exercise etc. You can take what you want from it, but I found it really interesting…

dazh

This always happens to me after the first day of a ski-holiday. These days on ski holidays instead of going to straight to the pub after the first day I now spend about an hour massaging and roller-pinning my quads. No idea if it works but last ski holiday I could walk ok after days 2 and 3 where previous ones were a write-off by day 3.

karnali
    Free Member

Running down hill off road causes muscles to try and work both ways at once. Read an article after a fell run a few years back. To do with trying to run but also quads trying to stop u as well. If u run again off road within 3 weeks you will b much less sore as aparantly muscles etc adapt pretty quick. Any longer back to square one.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Knacked legs!’ is closed to new replies.