Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • KMC chains any good?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, getting fed up with snapping Sram chains! And yes – i do know how to change gears properly!!! Are the KMC ones any good?

thv3
    Free Member

Aye, seems to last better than anything else I have tried. Also features a similar missing link which makes breaking the chain far easier.

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep, I only use KMC chains as they haven't failed on me once. Cheaper than others too for same spec, I've got X9 SL on all my bikes.

bassspine
    Free Member

fine

CHB

x9 sl on two of my bikes. Really nice chains.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Problem solved then! off to merlin, thanks all!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yep, really good chains. We've recently swapped over stock in the shop from Sram to KMC, think lots of people are doing similar things

andrewh
    Free Member

I've just gone the other way. Bought KMC because it was cheap but don't like the missing links, they go missing at the most inopertune moments. Gone back to SRAM and powerlinks. Actually, just put XTR and a power link on my HT, can get XTR chain on fleabay for £20 new.

steve_b77
    Free Member

KMC is the only way in chain land for me

dano
    Free Member

Do you know how to change gears properly 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I use a KMC SL very happy with it, I had a habit of breaking chains (prob down to being rubbish) but KMC is going strong.

Btw – I use a sram powerlink with the KMC chain, got some masterlink pliers and couldn't be bothered with using 2 types of quick links.

The gold colour is nice but it's starting to wear of a bit after about 600 miles.

Northwind

I had an absolute mare with my first ride on my X9SL, chainsucked all over the place and then snapped. But it's been fine since, I think it had a bad link from the word go which is now gone. (also, though KMC advise leaving the factory lube on, I don't agree with that at all, it's very sticky and sucks up muck like nothing else I've ever seen)

Always been 100% satisfied with my X9Ls before, and I'll definately get another KMC next time.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Just found a pic of the missing link, looks very similar to the sram ones, just ordered the chain so i'll see how it lasts. I was staring to wonder if removing and cleaning sram ones every week was having an adverse effect on them, cant see why that would be though, as they are not breaking right at the quicklink.

Northwind

KMC's missing link is basically identical to SRAM's, it seems to be ever so slightly tighter but functionally I can't tell any difference other than that.

oldgit
    Free Member

Great chains using X9L and X10Ls at the mo

charliedontsurf

Great chains. In the one speed world nothing beats them for relibility. Z510hx is awesome and only a tenner.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I snapped a k9 sl after about 40 miles use. Think I might go the cheap and often route.

westkipper
    Free Member

I think their higher end 9speed chains are good.
    I'm not a total fan of their 10 speed chains though, I found them to be great from the packet, but as the lube wears off they are noticably less refined and rougher than the equivalent Shimmy chain, they run fine if your indexing is kept absolutely spot on, but if you're running an unusual set-up, shorter than average wheelbase, or less than perfect alignment, I'd stick with shimano.

Burls72
    Free Member

I have always found shimano chains better than sram and kmc make shimano chains. They obviously don't have to make their own to a set cost and can therefore afford to make a better chain for the same price. Steer clear of the lightweight chains you just pay more for a chain that stretchs quicker and wears out your drive train. Lightweight chains are fine if your a sponsered 10 stone racing whippet who doesn't pay for his/her own stuff!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘KMC chains any good?’ is closed to new replies.