• This topic has 34 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Klein attitude frames….still good today or past it?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

lots of people on hear go all misty eyed when you mention kleins.are the late attutude frames still a good lightweight contender for riding today or a little on the heavier side buy latest standards?
    im not knocking them…just wondered.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

love mine to bits but then i own it so i would

but

no disc mounts

geometry for 80mm forks

internal cable routing is a pain

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh ok then if you insist 🙂

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Love mine too (1999)
    disc mount but non standard
    ok with 100mm fork
    external cable routing

psychle
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright, very niiiice… 🙂 really like those forks, didn't know they did the Fighters with v-mounts?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

urm, they are RC36 Stealth, the fighters are RC40 (and 41?) and 130mm travel IIRC

thanks though

ro
    Free Member

the best frame E-V-E-R, but unless you find one barely used they're probably fatigued to hell by now 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've just picked up a '92 Kona Cindercone, and it's just as good as the one I had at the time, and a hoot to ride. For the riding I'll be using it for, it's no slower or worse than my other bikes, or anyone else's that I ride with.
    If you want one, just get one. I'd bet you'll love it. 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

it was weight and fork compatability that mainly sprang to mind..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

frame is similar weight to most modern aluminium frames, 1500g roughly

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have a 1997 Attitude frame hanging in the roof of my garage. Having devious thoughts of resurrecting with a set of fox vanillas set at 80mm. IIRC weight is around 2.9lb.

Great frame and build quality (mine was still from the Washington factory before Trek shut it). But lacking disc mounts.

udder
    Free Member

I've got one of the last ones (a Trek built one). I wouldn't rate it as the lightest frame I've ever had my hands on, but I think the majority of it's weight comes from it's paint (it glows in the dark). It's far more supple than the old Kleins, which to me is a bonus. It's nippy little tinker though, it handles like it's on rails and climbs like a goat.

I think my Attitude is the best looking bike I've ever seen (I'm allowed to say that aren't I?). I don't ride it much because I can't stand the thought of damaging it, but I'm in a fortunate enough position to keep a bike like this for best. I have a 2009 Orange Five for all other duties.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That is a saucy bike.

I had a go on an attitude recently that belongs to a friend. Stiff as a board and really uncomfortable, went like the clappers though.

I think in all honesty things have moved on but still great looking bikes.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I used to find I had a 3 hour ride limit on mine. After 3 hours it hurt me and used to bite back!

crikey
    Free Member

I've got a couple of the blue Attitude XVs. Strangely enough ro is talking rubbish again.

crikey
    Free Member

Embiggened

bullheart
    Free Member

I saw a stunning oriental girl in tiny denim shorts riding around on one recently. It was either Brighton or London.

My head turned. Twice.

crikey
    Free Member

His n hers..

loddrik
    Free Member

The only frame I have had more than one of, they look great
    pimped up too.

IdleJon

Why would frame weight be an issue? My Pulse with a mainly XT build, Pace forks and nothing particularly exotic on it used to weigh around 24lb depending on tyres. I'd imagine that the Attitude was slightly lighter.

mattbee

I did the 2001 Red Bull on a Klein Fervour, and had to have a week off work with major lower back pain and spasms!

Was a lovely bike though, went like stink. I have yearnings for another one tbh, just as a nice fast evening ride bike.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Anyone know if there's someone experienced in respraying these frames, especially a linear fade?

Kuco

I borrowed one of these back in the day and iirc it was harsh as ****.

firestarter
    Free Member

mmmm i still want one 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'm not sold on them not being particularly comfortable, can ride mine for miles of bumpy stuff

you've all been spoilt by full sus sofas 😀

maxlite
    Free Member

I also still want one mmmmmmmm

fisha
    Free Member

I used to have one. I loved it. Its definitely been the stiffest hardtail i've ridden, but it was alright for long runs. Still right up there with the best of the frames of today I would say.

IdleJon

mrmichaelwright – Member
    i'm not sold on them not being particularly comfortable, can ride mine for miles of bumpy stuff

you've all been spoilt by full sus sofas

I am also puzzled by the descriptions of people needing chiropractors after riding Kleins – mine was no more/less uncomfortable than other alu frames around at the time.

I used to get the feeling that mine was saying – 'faster, faster, faster' all the time though!

hockropper

A mate of mine had a Klein made of Titanium, said it was like riding an ironbed, had to sell it in the end as gave him a bad back

YoGrant
    Free Member

your mate is talking our of his hat……klein didn't make a ti frame.

loddrik
    Free Member

Calvin Klein make titanium glasses. Maybe he meant that? Although I wouldn't want to take them off road…

Sonor
    Free Member

Had mine for almost ten years, looking a little more battered than when this pic was taken.

Klein Attitude

spencer
    Free Member

Plop-pants

have a look at retrobike.co.uk there is a guy on there that resprays kleins to a very high standard, his name is jon rock and work is fantastic, and has done quite a few linear gator fades

spencer

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ooooooooh

🙂

Kuco

you've all been spoilt by full sus sofas

Odd that not even front suspension was about 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Klein attitude frames….still good today or past it?’ is closed to new replies.