Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Kitchen geeks what fridge/freezer?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Looking to finally get a new fridge freezer, wife fancies a smeg though I am more function first and thought (perhaps incorrectly) that they were all looks no practicality. I quite like the french style ones with the double doors.

So, what say the STW kitchen geeks? 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Steer clear of Cda! That is all!

z1ppy

Our CDA kit been great, dishwasher had a fault, fixed as per the guarantee (paid for callout), turned out to be the fitters fault & supposedly a guarantee voiding option (there was a sign saying “DO THIS after installing”)
    The engineer fixed the ‘fitting issue’ then fixed the fault, can’t complain about that.
    CDA: diswasher, dual ovens, hob & fridge/freezer been in since xmas before last, came at a price we could afford, though I’d hardly suggest there the best about.

Must note for next time we get a kitchen (15-20years time!) ‘fitted’ fridge/freezer units are a LOT smaller than normal ones.. doh! (old one now installed in the garage as beer fridge & extra freezer space)

slackman99
    Free Member

Liebherr

Ours keeps stuff cold, looks nice, the stainless steel doesn’t seem to mark (although we don’t have kids with sticky fingers).

They also make fridges/freezers for Miele to put their name to so can’t be too bad.

Also make some pretty wicked cranes!

maxray
    Free Member

ooh they look alright actually slackman 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

Fisher and paykel
    6 years absolutely lovly massive storage for the sizes (really make the best use of any available storage
    Also this finish is easy to clean and very hard wearing

br
    Free Member

The AGA one looks good, and its has the double doors – but a wee bit on the dear side…

RoterStern
    Free Member

Liebherr

Ours keeps stuff cold, looks nice, the stainless steel doesn’t seem to mark (although we don’t have kids with sticky fingers).

They also make fridges/freezers for Miele to put their name to so can’t be too bad.

Also make some pretty wicked cranes!

Our Liebherr very expensive fridge freezer packed up exactly four weeks after the guarantee expired (two years). In the end we got a new one off them for a reduced price (which is standard). Two years and one month later exactly the same happened. It was only after some stern words from Mrs Stern that we got a new one under guarantee! But I think the guy from Liebherr was beginning to feel fearful for his life.

Kryton57

We have a friend who’s a fridge mender. His advice is not to touch anything without a dual condenser, otherwise you get the frozen pipe-to-fridge/sensor issue if you don’t fully defrost for 48hrs a year – even frost free.

He goes on to say that ^^ and Bosch, Miele, and Siemensdual condenser are the only one’s he’d touch. He also mentioned that one was Meile in disguise – its either Seimens or perhaps Neff I can’t remember.

wrecker
    Free Member

DO NOT buy an aga fridge. Trust me, they are awful. I was a service engineer many moons ago, they had 100% fail rate.

tommytowtruck

We’ve got a Siemens one which looks quite nice (as much as a fridge can look nice) and keeps things cold! The only bad thing is the annoying beeping if you leave the freezer door open for longer than it deems acceptable.

Neil-F
    Free Member

We bought an LG “American style” double door affair about 7 years ago to replace two smaller matching fridge/freezers. Its been superb, wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one or recommend one to others. 😀

br
    Free Member

DO NOT buy an aga fridge. Trust me, they are awful. I was a service engineer many moons ago, they had 100% fail rate.

Ok, but I could say the same about Proline frost-free ones too – how long ago, and does it affect the current ones?

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve had Fisher and Paykell, Siemens and Meile – all good.

I personally don’t like the double door ones, primarily as they have too much freezer and not enough fridge. Depends what you want/need space wise.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve got a Neff double door one in stainless. Looks lovely and has all the gizmos. At about £2k it was a lot of money though.
    For us the freezer is good size for day to day but too small for long term storage – we do have another freezer outside though.
    Fridge is big and great. A fan did fail earlier this year though (after 5 years) which I was surprised about – cost £120 to fix.

thehustler
    Free Member

To put smeg into perspective years ago I worked at mfi, two fridges on the showroom, 1 smeg the other mfi own brand 800 notes price difference on the tickets, the internals were identical 800 is a lot for a look…… Bosch neff Siemens used to be well ahead of the game,

pingu66
    Free Member

just bought a Samsung RSG5UCRS

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/refrigeration/american-style/RSG5UCRS1/XEU?subsubtype=g-series

looks great 5 year warranty.

Doris loves it

spacecadett
    Free Member

Get yer self down to Comet, they are nicely discounted at the moment.

chomp
    Free Member

our SMEG has been passable at best

build quality for all the outside stuff is top notch, but the inside door compartments/freezer compartment bits are all very cheap (and a few have had to be replaced)

Thankfully we got ours half price from John lewis a while back and they’ve been great getting replacement bits. I’d say buying from somewhere that will sort it if it goes wrong is as important as the brand

swampi
    Free Member

we have had a smeg for 4 years and works fine, downside bar cost is freezer needs reg defrosting, the name badge seems to corroding/discolouring even thi it appears ti be plastic and of course the front is not metal so no sticking fridge magnets in with my daughters art work lol

wwaswas

now if I were a spammer who was being paid to start threads about Panasonic products I wouldn’t use the same username on multiple forums.

Just saying.

For Google: Panasonic uses astroturfers/sock puppets who pretend to be real customers and promote its Fridge Freezers. Do not buy them.

chipps

Gone now. As you were…

wwaswas

thank you 🙂

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have a Liebherr, which I bought just because I recognised their name from cranes. I figured that if they can make cranes, then they can make a fridge freezer. 5 years on, and it still keeps stuff cold.

The Germans I work with rate the brand as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well it looks like I’ve talked the missus out of a Smeg (see another thread I started)
    So now I require a 70cm wide/190cm ish high fridge freezer with a good efficiency rating & about a 60/40 split between fridge & freezer, fridge being bigger, or 50/50.
    Nearest thing looks like a Hotpoint Quadrio at £550 (budget being about £750)
    NOT white either so I think that rules Liebherr out (I don’t think they do a 70cm anyway)

Fridge nightmare!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen geeks what fridge/freezer?’ is closed to new replies.