Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kitchen downlights
  • bear-uk
    Free Member

Hi all, I am on with replacing my kitchen. my question is what downlighters to fit? They will be going into an insulated void, so do I need fire rated ones? also mains or low voltage. I ripped the ceiling down today so theres plenty of access for wiring up.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If they’re anything like mine, they’re inefficient, don’t provide great light, and the bulbs cost a bloody fortune. And they’re a bugger to get out easily.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    If they’re anything like mine, they’re inefficient, don’t provide great light, and the bulbs cost a bloody fortune. And they’re a bugger to get out easily.

I totally agree, but don’t know what else to use.

spooky_b329

I got cheap energy savers from Been&Queued, they are dim on startup but I can deal with that knowing that they are not costing me a fortune, but the cheapness shows as a year later all the silver bezels are starting to rust through the chrome. Two bulbs gone, think I will replace the whole lot rather than find the bulbs.

So get decent quality ones.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes you need the fire rated encapsulated ones, if fact you struggle to buy the other ‘open’ sorts now. Use mains voltage GU10 ones in a kitchen, no need for transformers and they’re only something else to go wrong.

They’ll provide plenty of light if you have enough of them in the right locations, bulbs cost bugger all and they’re easy to swap.

Tinners

We’ve got 20 x 50W downlighters in our kitchen (it’s a big kitchen), divided into 3 dimmable zones. The main issues I’ve had (besides effectively running at, I assume, levels of energy consumption matching our microwave when they’re all burning at full 1000W) are that the bulbs don’t seem to last long and the 3 switch dimmer control unit blows a lot. I replace a bulb at least once a week and I gather that there are issues if you try to control them with a dimmer (in that the switches often blow). There is a floor above our kitchen, so no lagging directly above the bulbs and I would assume that any heat inefficiencies given off by the bulbs would be offset by reduced output from trv controlled rads?
    They work well and Mrs T likes them, but I doubt that they’re cheap to run or very ecological. Still, looking on the bright (!) side, there’s not a lot of chance of getting seasonal affective disorder when they’re all switched on at breakfast……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We got 12v dimable from Screwfix (not insulated) and not one bulb out of 18 has gone in the 21 months since they were fitted.

Ohhh, and they are (obviously) on a dimmer, and like tinners above, in three zones.

And on a rethink there are 16.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I intend to replace a 4 light central fitting with 12 downlights in two rows of 5 and 2 over the sink. That should give plenty of light to the required area,s. I could possibly use some 20w bulbs along the units and 50w over the sink and breakfast bar.

teagirl
    Free Member

Ours are excellent in the kitchen on a Reko controlling system, only had 2 go out of 13 in 2 1/2yrs. Got them on both bathrooms and lounge too. Did have excellent advice and fitting from Oldfield electrical in Skipton though. Bulbs are cheap to buy at Costco, packs of 12 £4.89 +vat

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Make sure you get at least some adjustable then – the bank over our work surfaces are so they angle light where we need it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen downlights’ is closed to new replies.