Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Kit you can't do without…………..
  • topangarider
    Free Member

If you had to give one item that has genuinely improved you biking experience (mtb/road/commute), what would it be? A component on the bike, an item of clothing, some other kit…………

What could you not live without?

njee20
    Free Member

The bike?

wwaswas

tbh – as long as I have a bike of some sort the rest is just window dressing.

Maybe a helmet, though, because I've been 'saved' by one in the past.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Waterproof socks in the winter.

rOcKeTdOg

a saddle

and padded shorts and gloves

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The thing that made the biggest difference to my riding was…. a car. No point having a shiny bike if you can't get to the best trails!

Kit
    Free Member

Kit you can't do without…………..

Me?

😉

dickydutch

bib shorts.

slimtubing
    Free Member

A reliable pump ,in my case a Topeak Harpoon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

maps

VanHalen

mtb – suspension forks.

my wrists hurt like hell for days after when i ride rigid forks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too many: spds, suspension, disc brakes, windstopper.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Camelbak and WTB saddles.

odannyboy
    Free Member

one of those thin helmet liner hat jobbies.cheap, easily fits in a pocket or bag, and can warm me up no end when the temp drops or you can cool down a lot if it warms up without carring loads because of it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

winter boots.

topangarider
    Free Member

I can vouch for the pump one – especially after the debarkle I had in the Dales last month!

I have a really thin fronted, mesh back gilet that came with an issue of MBR (I know) about 8 years ago. It's great and gets used loads, just starting to give up the ghost now on the seams.

tron
    Free Member

Bib shorts are ace. I'd never go back to normal shorts.

Fitted suspension forks back onto my bike on Saturday and was amazed at how much difference they made. I like to ride rigid once in a while though, so I'd not say they're indispensable.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

You can muddle along with just about any type / condition of gear ( and bike) but surely it has to be maps for any serious 'mountain' biker?

RustySpanner

Good guide books for me. The Biketrax ones are OK, but the routefinding can be a bit random. The Ernest press ones are great, but getting a bit out of date.
    Not tried the VG ones yet.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bibshorts for me.

woffle
    Free Member

If I had to do without any of the following it'd make my daily riding significantly less enjoyable / pleasant; rohloff, Garmin and a decent front light.

ntreid
    Free Member

I'd put bike skills at the top of my list.

Anyone can ride a bike. But to really enjoy it, you have to learn how to climb/descend/conserve energy/work hard when it's needed.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Helmet, pump, puncture kit, spare inner tube, lights.

Junkyard
    Free Member

winter boots and good waterproofs for winter
    suspension for big mountain rides

enduro-aid
    Free Member

+1 for helmet, but again that is because ive been saved on a couple of trips by mine

as for maps if youve got a local with you or you know the area they are pointless

westkipper
    Free Member

I happily do without helmets, suspension and discs.
    What I need are GEARS ('specially STI/ergo road shifters) and SPDs- the two biggest improvements to cycling ever.

MarkyG82

Camelbak.

I get dehydrated really easily and cant go on anything longer than a 5 miler without it. Plus it holds all the other stuff you 'cant' do without.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Riding buddies. Much more fun with company.

cookeaa

Not sure if I'd call it “indispensable” but the interweb is bloody useful, planning routes, looking up trails centres or accommodation, buying kit and checking the odd review over beforehand, coordinating rides with mates sharing post ride photos…

As a communication and planning tool it’s about the best and cheapest I’ve found…

As for “essential” bike kit, I’d have to say gearing, I’ve dabbled with SS but I doubt even it’s most ardent fans can real claim a SS bike is as versatile, especially when placed under a bumbling pudding like me…

Aidan
    Free Member

People to ride with.

I rode the NZ equivalent of a £99 Halfords bikes when I was out there, but Hutt Valley MBC showed me some fun trails and made it into an awesome day out.

odannyboy
    Free Member

why are bib "shorts" so special? i have bib tights and regular tights.dont see much difference so whats so great about bib shorts??

Soup
    Free Member

Spds, Camelbak, Helmet.

kiwijohn

3L Camelbak
    Time pedals
    Crank Bros multi 17
    MT90s
    Vintage Rock Shox windbreaker
    Google earth

ash.addy
    Free Member

Got to have my Buff

tron
    Free Member

why are bib "shorts" so special? i have bib tights and regular tights.dont see much difference so whats so great about bib shorts??

Bib shorts / big tights, whichever. Both great. They keep your back warm, and your arse crack firmly out of sight.

Pieface

Lightweight tent and panniers.

Not used very often but transform the biking experience for a week or 2 every year.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Kit you can't do without…………..’ is closed to new replies.