Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kit advice for the alps
  • 20vturbogaz
    Free Member

With my first alps trip booking with trail addiction in July, I’m wondering was there anything you wish you had taken with you to make the holiday even better now knowing what to expect.

Plus full face or not to full face that is another question.

I’ve got the usual extras
    insurance
    Armour
    Dual ply tyres
    DH tubes
    I’ve ordered bigger balls, but I’m not sure they’re going to arrive in time ;0)

Cheers gaz

continuity
    Free Member

Take a FF if you plan on riding out of your comfort zone. If not, a half lid is fine.

steezysix
    Free Member

A bunch of spare brake pads, some powerlinks, zip ties & some duck tape.

tpbiker
    Free Member

all of the above plus a rear mech hanger

Milkie
    Free Member

Brake pads & mech hanger.

EdIT: Beaten to it! 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

the big question for me is do I go tubeless for the week…

johnikgriff
    Free Member

If its up lift then FF. Other bits

Spare mech hanger, can be bugger to get hold off.
    Waterproofs (lots of them), once spent a week in Morzine when it pissed down for 6 days

earl_brutus

spare headset and seatpost, from past (expensive) experience, oh and the toughest wheelset youve got, again from experience

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

Got mech hanger
    Loads of brake pads
    Ties/tape/power link

So far, it looks like I’ve got most things covered.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not been to the alps but if its anything like my experience at Whistler then take the full face, spare tubes and brake pads. Possibly spare spokes as well just in case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on how you will ride and the likely shortage and expense of spares.

Do people really transform their risk taking on riding on holiday?

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

I hope my wheels are strong enough, there the standard wheels on my cube stereo pro (Sun ringle ryde xmb)

Sounds like a full face is a must then. As I’m sure at some point my enthusiasm will exceed my skill level ;0)

Can’t wait to go.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Sun block. You’ll burn in 10 minutes if the sun is out.

If your enthusiasm is gonna exceed your skill then get some good medical insurance!

MussEd
    Free Member

[quotespare headset and seatpost, from past (expensive) experience[/quote]

If you were to take every spare thing that people have bust in the past on Alpine trips, you’d need a shipping container. I’ve no doubt the above was a dear one but lets face it, unlikely to happen to the OP…spare pads/tubes/mech hangers etc are sensible things to take but beyond that I’d probably just make sure the bike is well maintained and in tip top shape for the holiday…

Enjoy your trip!

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips.

The bike is in tip top shape and will be thoroughly check before I go.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cynic-al personally yes, I’ll ride much bigger stuff than I would do at home, partly as over the course of a week you’ll improve, get into a groove, feel more confident etc plus of course the trails are much more challenging. Another factor is that as the terrain is harder/ more rocky vs what I normally ride so I’ll wear the elbow/knee pads.

@20v a few changes of riding clothes, especially padded undershorts and socks. As noted above spares are available but expensive so take what you can.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kit advice for the alps’ is closed to new replies.