Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kirroughtree – it's a bit good
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

First trip over to Kirroughtree last Friday. Clear sky and and an empty black trail. Probably the best man-made trail I've ever done. That chute at the end of McMoab looks a LOT less steep on YouTube, still just a case of hanging back and staying off the brakes though.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I'm off up weekend after next. Not been for 2 years. I won't be doing "the chute", nor will I be doing "the slab" at Dalbeattie, despite "doing" them a number of times in my dreams only to wake up and find that in the real world I am a wimp!

Nonsense
    Free Member

The chute is a lot easier than you think. The rest of McMoab is much more difficult technique wise. You should give it a go.

Hells

Best bit about Kirroughtree, apart from the riding of course, is my Great Aunty lives less than ½ mile from the visitor centre!! 😀
    Hmm, I must go and see her this summer!!!

craig1975
    Free Member

the chute looks harder than it is..

a short video

simonralli2
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is great. I am going to sort out another group STW ride there end of August/ early September, just as I did last year.

I will never in this lifetime do either the chute or slab, even if it is just a case of laying off the brakes!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I must be the only person who doesn't think it's amazing…was in the area last summer for a week and its ok…but I found it very much the same and lacked any technical features…but I suppose it is a XC trail.

The section called Black Craig down to hissing sid is outstanding though..the rest I could happily miss.

craig1975
    Free Member

The section called Black Craig down to hissing sid is outstanding though…

I couldn't agree more…

Nonsense
    Free Member

Just out of interest what do you classify as a technical feature? I'm guessing drop-offs, rock gardens and a huge slab of rock don't count?

tandemwarriors

simonralli2 – Member
    Kirroughtree is great. I am going to sort out another group STW ride there end of August/ early September, just as I did last year.

count me in again Simon, that was one of the best biking days ever.
    I might MTFU and follow Davy G down the chute this time!

Rob

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I'll be honest and say there were no jumps …and at each corner there was just more of the same type of flowing singletrack…with small rock features.

With regards to the big slab of rock…well that was sh!te….not my cup of tea either…although having spent some time riding slickrock in Moab and can understand the attraction for us here in the UK.

I know Kirroughtree is something different and I appreciate it for that….and maybe I was expecting more!

forge197
    Free Member

Simon – I'd be up for that but the SXC race is on the last weekend in August and the Kielder the first weekend in September so it could be difficult timing wise 😕

simonralli2
    Free Member

Folks – I'll post a post nearer the time looking for what suits people best and try and settle on a date that suits as many as possible. Maybe mid September would be good as a goodbye ride before I emigrate 😀

Forge – I will be back home in August so will have plenty of time free for some other rides too – I haven't yet gone off piste with Trekster at Mabie yet – can you believe it??

Johnbot
    Free Member

0pt1cal – Member

I must be the only person who doesn't think it's amazing…was in the area last summer for a week and its ok…but I found it very much the same and lacked any technical features…but I suppose it is a XC trail.
    I agree with you, you are not alone. I found it to be quite meandering, there wasn't enough bang for my buck ultimately.

forge197
    Free Member

Simon – we did some great off piste last night some proper nice little technical decents. Look forward to catching up in August and September.

davy-g
    Free Member

Kirrie has its good/bad points just like any trail centre.. I used to hate McMoab so much that I would just bypass it and just do the chute..but if you just see it as a way to improving your bike skills then you see it in a whole new light….I attempted all of McMoab last Saturday…yeah I fell off or tripped myself up more often that not….but not as much this time as last…so in effect my skills are improving….

To Simon and Tandemwarriors count me in for the next STW rideout… 😛

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kirroughtree – it's a bit good’ is closed to new replies.