Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kinesis XC>120 – Opinions?
  • Conway
    Free Member

Hi All,

I hope you can help?

Im thinking of purchasing the Kinesis XC>120 frame in blue. Has anyone any experiences with this frame?

I come from a DH background and therefore like slack angles. I just want a fast bike to rip around the woods on as winter training, and possibly a race or 2!

I have some 125mm travel forks to stick on this frame.

My only concern was that the head angle sounds/looks rather steep at 69.5 degrees. I just dont want it to feel twitchy.

Has anyone got a side photo of their bike they can post up so I can see what it looks like built up?

Thanks for your help

Chris

dave360

check out Benji's blog about the Decade Virsa, sounds like a good fit for what you want.

bent_udder
    Free Member

69.5 is actually a bit slack compared to most 'traditional' XC bikes. The angles were originally 70 / 71 in the mid-90s, but have slackened over the years. I ride a singlespeed with a 69.5 (claimed) head angle, and it's perfectly relaxed, and quite happy riding steep things.
    If you're thinking of doing DH-type things on it, and worried the head angle is too steep, then you might want to get something slacker.
    But remember that actually, numbers are pretty relative. Get on a bike and ride it around a bit, see if you like it. You can change the handling with other things as well – stem length, bar width, fork length and even tyre size.
    If you're just blatting around the woods on stuff that's too climby / flat for your DH bike, then it should be fine. Best bet is to have a play with a couple of hardtails. Sharp handling is actually a great way to improve handling skills on slacker bikes.
    Apologies if this is corn – Don't know nowt about the Kinesis frame you're asking about, but wanted to point out that you shouldn't worry *too* much about numbers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Conway
    Free Member

Thanks for your help with this.

I just think the Decade Virsa will be too heavy for what I am after.

I hear what you are saying about the numbers not being all that, but I think just seeing 1 built up might answer a few questions.

Thanks Chris

glenp
    Free Member

Blah blah slack. Slack blah slack. Its all about slack.

God I hope the bloody magazines come up with some new bullsh!t soon. This record is getting tedious!

Conway
    Free Member

Its nothing to do with the magazines mate, I ride DH bikes which are slack for a reason and I want an xc bike to replicate this.

Thanks for your exceptional helpful post!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ride DH bikes witch are slack for a reason

I ride XC bikes which are steep for a reason 😛

Do you want a XC race bike or a slack bike for playing in the woods?

Conway
    Free Member

I want a relaxed XC race bike!

I have a DMR trailstar for dirt jumping and general playing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, as I said, XC bikes are step for a reason, they spend most of their time going uphill so long top tubes give a nice stretched riding position, and speet angles keep the front end from wandering and keep the wheelbase sensible.

Conway
    Free Member

Thats why i thought the Kinesis xc>120 was a good compromise.

Just trying to find someone that ownes one so I can see wht it looks like built up!

grantway
    Free Member

Think they do make a slack angle 140 travel hardtail
    check on there web site

Gravy
    Free Member

Con, you have pic's. 🙂

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Hi mate,
    Im a downhiller and have recently just got my first proper xc bike…a kinesis xc pro2 with a HA of 70.5. Its steep and with 100mm stem/forks its pretty exciting to ride, but exciting is fun right? Dont get me wrong, i wouldn't enjoy it on anything steep and tech, but its fast and fun on flatter ground. I dont want big grippy tyres on it or slack angles…it would ruin all the sliding around and make it too easy…its a harder bike to ride so it'll improve your skills.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I own one, its been my ride of choice for about a year. I have it built up with dual air revs (130mm works fine) and DT4.2s on Hope pro 3s. Its a great trail bike, very capable: light, fast, handles really well with a 90mm stem, and is extremely agile due to the low BB. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it ane I know friends of mine who've ridden it have been impressed.

Its quite a niche area, the 130mm capable alu trail H/T, esspecially at this price.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis XC>120 – Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.