Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kindle = In-built obsolescence?
  • Pieface

I’m sorry, but I do not believe that people will be buying them next year, even 2nd hand. They look like a big early 90s PDA, and will surely be replaced by tablets / big smartphones in a matter of… days?

I’d rather have a proper book or struggle with my small phone.

I’m struggling to see the USP

fubar
    Free Member

…I charged mine over a month ago…it’s still going strong

Innes
    Free Member

reading a kindle is easier on your eyes than an lcd screen.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Nowhere to stick my Finkley Down Farm bookmark and for that reason, I’m out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Definitely a market for phones that size. I’d be getting on to Apple and Amazon to get it sorted.

R.lepecha

a tablet pc with many less funtions and a basic 2 colour screen anyone?

mrmo
    Free Member

a tablet pc with many less funtions and a basic 2 colour screen anyone?

but it is not sold as a tablet pc, it is a lot cheaper than a tablet, the screen is better to read. the battery life does not compare. The only downside is colour. That will change in time.

The kindle is as much the future as the ipad, i would expect the future to be a combination, something without a backlit screen, colour e-ink rather than lcd etc.

Pieface

I don’t see the benefit over a proper book / big phone.

Feel free to convince me, i just don’t get it

Pieface

But surely the Kindle doesn’t need a colour screen

Looks like I’m answering my own question…?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not feeling like convincing you, sorry.

GTDave
    Free Member

Mine is loaded purely with software documentation, user guides, disaster recovery notes etc.
    It allows me to carry several years worth of accumulated info very easy. Great device.

j_me
    Free Member

If you build it, they will come buy it.

allthepies
    Free Member

You can store thousands of books/docs on it and the battery life is huge.

GrahamS

I don’t see the benefit over a proper book / big phone.

I’ve read a couple of short novellas on my phone but I wouldn’t want to read much more than that off an LCD, even one as good as the iPhone screen.

The whole point of Kindle and such is that it uses an e-ink display. Reflective not transmissive.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t have one but what appeals to me is the possibility of being able to carry my entire collection of text books, technical manuals and more in something that small.

CountZero

A Kindle’s fine if you don’t have a smartphone with ebook capability, but I’ve got an iPhone with four ebook readers on it, and getting on for a couple of hundred books in total, and I have no issues reading for extended periods. I really don’t understand the difficulty in reading an LCD screen; it’s black text on a white background, exactly the same as a printed page with a light shining on it, except I can easily read it in dim light. Over the last couple of weeks while it’s been quiet at work I’ve read Joe Abercrombie’s three fantasy novels The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, and The Last Argument Of Kings, and now I’m reading a novel by Rudy Rucker. Doesn’t cause me any problems at all, just delighted to be able to carry an entire library around in my pocket, and not risk damaging a treasured and expensive, (and bulky), hardback book.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kindle = In-built obsolescence?’ is closed to new replies.