Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kindle – 3G or not 3G?, That is the question.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is the 3G keyboard kindle worth the extra candy?.

grantway
    Free Member

Test it

Cougar

I struggle to see why anyone would want / need the 3G version. Free (monochrome, clunky) web roaming, I suppose.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My wife has used 3G to buy books when we’re at our Caravan. Probably not worth the extra to be fair

5lab

the 3g version does not allow 3g browsing when roaming. The only thing that works when roaming is buying books and wikipedia. For this reason, get the wifi version unless you need to get books/periodicals on the go

druidh
    Free Member

5lab – Member
    the 3g version does not allow 3g browsing when roaming. The only thing that works when roaming is buying books and wikipedia.

Ye’re talking bollocks. The browser works just fine on 3G

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep never used one 5lab ?

If i just wanted to read books id have a 3g kindle easy after borrowing my dads for a bit – ended up with an ipad in the end though – quite often look up referances in books on the web though – gets annoying when im on the move and cant do it !

captain-slow
    Free Member

first, I have the 3g version so may be biased…

web browsing is a bit clunky tbh, but the ability to download a new book or an english newspaper whilst on a foreign beach makes 3g worthwhile

I would go for 3g, but expect the smaller non keyboard model to come with 3g at some point…

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I just tether to my phone if I need connectivity when out and about.

disco_stu
    Free Member

The 3g keyboard allows web browsing, the 3g kindle with no keyboard only allows Wikipedia and amazon browsing. I think the mp3 player and text to speech is missing as well.
    I used my kindle 3g a fair bit when on holiday to keep up to date with news from the uk

Cougar

but the ability to download a new book or an english newspaper whilst on a foreign beach makes 3g worthwhile

You can put like three thousand books on a Kindle. If you find yourself on a foreign beach with a Kindle and think “crap, I’ve run out of books,” your fundamental problem there isn’t one of connectivity.

Newspapers, fair shout, that’s an idea that I hadn’t thought of. But then, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a Newspaper (other than for the free gifts).

Cougar

Just looked at current refurb prices on Amazon. A 3G is £115, WiFi is £80. £35 quid gets you a lot of newspapers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not abroad it doesnt at 1.50 a copy ……

Bottom line imo is do you travel often – if yes 3g if not wifi…

5lab

you might want to read this lads

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/TxGPT17594YQYV

browsing does work via 3g. it does not work via 3g whilst you’re roaming, as I said in my original post.

If you want a cheap way of getting on the internet whilst you’re abroad (which is why a lot of folk bought a kindle 3g), this is not what you’re after

tree-magnet
    Free Member

3G browsing works for me in Turkey. Nothing apeared on my bill either…

mogrim

Don’t forget that with 3G you’re never more than a click away from spending money at Amazon, which could be risky 🙂

I went with a wifi one for the same reasons as Cougar – I’ve got more than enough books on one I can’t see me running out, and I’d never considered reading a newspaper on it either.

vinnyeh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/TxGPT17594YQYV

browsing does work via 3g. it does not work via 3g whilst you’re roaming, as I said in my original post.

If you want a cheap way of getting on the internet whilst you’re abroad (which is why a lot of folk bought a kindle 3g), this is not what you’re after

3g browsing while roaming works on mine (maybe you didn’t scan the comments on that thread?)

Cougar

I did, it says:

it is understood at this stage that web browsing on 3G will only be possible where Vodafone has its own network in the country visited.

Ie, it works in some countries.

vinnyeh

The thread is from a time when the kindle had just been released and is misleading- vodafone coverage isn’t needed.

Free 3G Coverage Map
    If you have a Kindle Keyboard with Free 3G, we offer Free 3G coverage both at home in the UK and in many countries worldwide. Click here to see our coverage map.

jamiec360
    Free Member

Have you tried the US store, mrs is getting one for her bessy mates 40th pressie and as she works in the states every other week getting a fire from there (already ordered for the release on 15th). They have the new touchscreen 3G ones for less in $ than the old ones are here in £ I think the 3G one is $139 but you might need a us address for it, we did check and there is no regional tie to a particular kindle store or similar so no probes using here straight away. Actually works out cheaper (a lot cheaper) than getting it at UK Amazon staff discount as I know the boss of their new warehouse in the midlands and he only gets 10% off uk price.

samuri
    Free Member

I bought the original 3G version with a keyboard.
    It does allow roaming and it does work abroad, (in all the countries I’ve taken it to).

Would I buy a 3G with a keyboard again? Nope. I’d get the wifi one without a keyboard.

I used 3G at first and waved it around at everyone telling them I had free 3G for life. I also proved that it’s possible to tether a PC to it and get free 3G access there too (It’s a ball ache, don’t bother).

But in the last 6 months, I’ve used neither the keyboard nor 3G despite using the device pretty much every day.

HTH.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3g one & like it, I can download books when I want – its not a question of unread ones or 3000 on there its a question of if reading on a topic and you want to find out more about it then you can get other supporting books easily. I do use the web browser too, it is clunky but once again for referencing something makes sense

chomp
    Free Member

I’ve got a wifi version and have never felt that I missed the 3G capability.

As said above, if you’re on holiday and read all of your books you’ve obviously not put enough books on there.

with free wifi being more and more common I can’t see a reason to pay the extra

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Kindle – 3G or not 3G?, That is the question.’ is closed to new replies.