Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Kindle
  • off-the-pace
    Free Member

Travis

I have a similare problem. Googling for a torrent is a dreadful temptation!

Cletus

I have had a Kindle for a couple of months and love it. The first one I had had a screen failure but it was quickly replaced by Amazon.

I have the official cover with in-built light. It is very expensive for what it is but was worth it for me as it allows me to read in bed without annoying my partner which is something I treasure.

One of the coolest features is that almost all books have a sample chapter or two that you can download before paying for the book.

The web browsing is basic and clunky – I rarely use it if I have my Android phone with me.

When I bought it I had hoped to store A4 PDF work documents on it (manuals etc.) but it is a little too small to read them comfortably in portrait mode. You can zoom in but this is again a bit clunky.

Despite these limitations I would strongly recommend the Kindle.

clipper68
    Free Member

Just taken the plunge and bought the official lighted cover. Seems expensive for what it is but I want my investment protected as it will have a shedload of use due to all the travelling I do.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sounds good now I know more about it. How much roughly are books then. I like the idea of taking it on hold and if my book is rubbish I can just buy a new one rather than wasting my time as I have nothing else to read. One memorable 9hr flight from Colorado was horrific kindle would’ve been great!!

uplink
    Free Member

How much roughly are books then.

Piece of string question really, generally cheaper than the paperback option though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wow now I have seen that I am even more tempted!! Looks ace really can’t see many negatives.not buying books means I am not clogging up house and needing to buy extra book cases!!!

scotia
    Free Member

Caher – Member
    I got the 3G version as I often walk into a book shop at an airport etc, think I like that and can buy and download as I walk out.
    Buying exclusively from Amazon is not too bad as they have a huge range but if you live abroad then it’s annoying as you do not access to the UK book market; it’s mainly the US which for me is not the best
    I did find that it was also quite to do some monochrome surfing whilst stuck in Amsterdam airport.

Is that right? I have an amazon.co.uk account from when i lived in the UK…and its still active now that i live in Switzerland..
    If i buy a kindle from them and get them to ship to me, can i then download uk books or not?

mogrim

Is that right? I have an amazon.co.uk account from when i lived in the UK…and its still active now that i live in Switzerland..

I’ve got an amazon.co.uk account too, but their server detects where your computer is (using IP geolocation), and redirects you to the amazon.com Kindle store. You could probably play around with open proxies and the like to get round the restriction, but personally I couldn’t be bothered.

Pigface
    Free Member

I got the other half one for Christmas and so far we can only find 2 Swedish books and one is an encyclopedia. We havent really looked hard yet but does anyone know if books in languages other than English are available?

CHB

scotia, if you can get a kindle, it will definately work with your UK account from Swiss teritory. My mate was using his UK one on the beach in Egypt last month (sending me emails and downloading newspapers) with no problems.
    I am not sure if you need to buy the device from the UK to log onto a UK account, they MAY be country specific, or like Ipads they may be worldwide identical.

mogrim

I got the other half one for Christmas and so far we can only find 2 Swedish books and one is an encyclopedia. We havent really looked hard yet but does anyone know if books in languages other than English are available?

Not seen much foreign language stuff on Amazon (although I was looking for Spanish), you could probably try one of the local eBook sellers and convert the downloaded file. Amazon’s having problems getting non-English publishers to let them resell books, unsurprisingly perhaps they don’t fully trust the US juggernaut…

mogrim

I am not sure if you need to buy the device from the UK to log onto a UK account, they MAY be country specific, or like Ipads they may be worldwide identical.

Definitely not worldwide identical – I’m very much limited to using the US store (albeit on my Android phone). Hadn’t thought of getting a Kindle sent to a UK address and then get family / friend to send it over, have to look into that one!

scotia
    Free Member

Well i was thnking of buying it then sending it to my brother in Edin..then him sending it to me.

I guess i need to know that this kindle, being of UK destination originally…will have access to the uk book store ok…or will they then pickup that i am in switzerland?!

from what you say CHB it might be ok?

beej

When I used my UK one in the US, it accessed the UK store.

It’s registered to my amazon.co.uk account.

I’m pretty sure they access their “home” country store – mine had a label on the box that said US/UK/Germany, with UK ticked.

There should be info on the Amazon site about it.

scotia
    Free Member

12 I’m in the UK, can I buy from the USA (and vice versa)?

– no. If you are a UK resident (and you have a UK address and card on file with Amazon) you must buy from the UK store. If you are in the US, you must buy from the US store. If you are in ANY other country, you are considered by Amazon to be “rest of the world” and you must order from the US store.

There is a slight grey area as to whether you can switch from .com to .co.uk to buy books. Also, if you buy a Kindle in the UK and move for a long period to (say) Germany, then Amazon may restrict your purchases from the UK store and ask you to switch to the US store – again this is rather grey and new and will develop. Hardware purchases however ARE restricted as above.

ah..not so sure now..it looks like it’ll be reverted to .com after a while..

I think i’ll still try! The worst that can happen is that they change it after a while to .com..

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Kindle’ is closed to new replies.