• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by iht4.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Kilt Wearers: Real Sgian Dubh or replica?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Any kilt wearers on here?

Getting my kilt outfit in Jan for my wedding and cant decide between a real or replica Sgian Dubh.

When would I ever need a real one, addressing a haggis? unlikely.

Seems like some people think that a real one is more hassle as you have to check it in in pubs etc. I get a free replica one with the package, but just wondering whether it is worth upgrading to a real bladed one?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I just don't see the point of a fake one myself – either use a proper one or just go without….

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use a real one as that's what came with my outfit when I bought it years back. I've never had to any issues because of it.

druidh
    Free Member

I have a real one, but would probably go for a fake one now due, as you say, to the potential hassle.

ojom
    Free Member

not worth the grief. try going on holiday and forgetting you have it with you at the airport…

SaxonRider

Real or nought. No point (ha ha) in faking some element of a national dress.

igm

Real.

Sheffield steel ironically.

cinnamon_girl

I think kilts are fantastic and you should wear one with pride. I can't wait to see my son wear one (his father is a Scot) but unfortunately he left it too late for his Graduation ceremony. He is very keen to wear one and I know he will when an opportunity arises.

Keep it real 8)

ojom
    Free Member

i wore mine yesterday. wearing it mon-wed at work next week too. got to get your moneys worth oot it.

CountZero

I'd get a proper Sgian Dubh. Useful little utility knife if it's decent steel, stuff it into your backpack for digging thorns etc out of yer tyres.

Big-M
    Free Member

Real. Why fake it.

kevonakona
    Free Member

As above real unless you're oot and aboot then plastic to save the hassle.

grumm
    Free Member

I just don't see the point of a fake one myself

They're all kind of fake though aren't they?

GrahamS

Bizarrely mine is a real blade but a plastic handle.

Got so nervous standing at the altar that I tensed my claves and snapped the handle in half!
    (I still wear it for luck tho).

druidh
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    wearing it mon-wed at work next week too. got to get your moneys worth oot it.

Gore bib-tights underneath?

ojom
    Free Member

Is there any other way?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Real. Just pack it in hold baggage when travelling by train. Never had any hassle at the pub.

coogan
    Free Member

Real.

epicyclo

It should be a proper usable knife, not a paper opener, nor a pseudo-Victorian gimmick.

As a matter of interest, are Sikhs prevented from carrying a knife these days?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Real, but as Grumm pointed out it, it's still kinda fake.

Northwind

I tend to lose them, so cheap crappy plastic one please.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Its got to be a replica, you would get done for it if you were to get involved in any kind of argument on a night out, which can easily happen when drink is involved, it can happen anywhere, I've been to plenty weddings where fights have started between family members. After all it's ornamental & all you see is the handle & your likely to lose it. I have always worn plastic & would not dream of a real one.
    I've never worn pants but seen plenty who do, & that is 10x worse.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

waynekerr – Member

Its got to be a replica, you would get done for it if you were to get involved in any kind of argument on a night out, which can easily happen when drink is involved

Rubbish. You would only get into trouble if you threatened someone with it or used it

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are a Surrey Highlander, fake one. If you are a real woad-daubing Celt, you'd have worn it since birth and only draw it if your claymore was knocked from your hand – or something.

I always enjoy hearing tenuous reasons for wearing a kilt 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Got to be real. In the same way you wouldn't be seen dead in a ready made bow tie would you?

organic355
    Free Member

So it looks like real has it 14-4.

Bugger, thats another £50 added to an already £800 outfit.

At least I get to wear mine again, not like the missus' wedding dress!!

tankslapper
    Free Member

A kitchen knife and a pair of saltire boxers always gets a laugh….

steviegil
    Free Member

It has got to real 😉

epicyclo

It doesn't need to be a toy knife – I used to use a Sykes Fairburn, very effective 🙂

igm

At least I get to wear mine again, not like the missus' wedding dress!!

I mis-read that the first time – Ok course you can wear her wedding dress, as often as you like sir.

DickBarton

Real…no excuse for the fake unless you insist on only wearing the full get up to nightclubs where they will remove your real one (and probably do the same for the fake one!).

The real one also makes a very useful bottle opener for bottles of wine – so you get extra points with the ladies…the fake one (as I've discovered doesn't work and ends up bending and snapping!).

iht4
    Free Member

how about a sgian brew?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Kilt Wearers: Real Sgian Dubh or replica?’ is closed to new replies.