Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • kill my fungus
  • peachos
    Free Member

a bit rank i know but i suppose there may be a few sufferers of athletes foot on here & i need help getting rid of mine. it's not so much as in between the toes but more on the soul of my feet around the ball & spreading out to the smaller toes. have tried a few different procucts but it seems to be lingering. it's not particularly causing me any discomfort but i'm off snowboarding in a week shortly & that's a guaranteed breeding ground for a good 8 hours a day.

so, best off-the-shelf product? or should i get to my GP?

wwaswas

GP for soemthing with a bit of clout.

bassspine
    Free Member

sounds possibly like what I had a few years ago – it was warts (no, not verrucas) which were impacted because I was standing on them. I booked in to have them frozen off but they went away on their own

qwerty
    Free Member

powder, change socks regularly, air, air, air – ?uv sessions?

edit – i made the uv bit up – but why not, should work – stick your feet in a sun bed!

peachos
    Free Member

cheers chaps, i presumed the GP was the only real option having tried the off the shelf stuff. have been powdering, changing socks more frequently (~3 pairs a day currently) etc but it's pretty hard work when out on the bike & it gets a bit damp for hours on end.

uv sessions sounds like an interesting concept…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

walk on sand – my feet are always really good after two weeks beach holiday 🙂

midlifecrashes

Years ago, doc gave me a tablet for fungal toenails. Can't remember the name of them, but they zapped my athlete's foot and jock itch problem simultaneously and overnight. Wouldn't surprise me much if it was the same stuff as in Canestan Duo though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nuke the entire site from orbit?

tails
    Free Member

ay, cortisone cream will stop itching such as canestan.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Canestan is the best off the shelf treatment, but to be honest with you nothing kills it like spending most of the day with no shoes on. So you've got it til summer at least.

The-Badger
    Free Member

Potassium permanganate – comes as crysals from a chemist. costs pence.
    add to water and soak feet morning and night – amazingly totally clears it up in a few days. Honest.

Suggsey
    Free Member

And if you have Goretex or similar lines footwear ditch it as the fungus spores will be embedded in them and as soon as you put them back on after treatment you will just re infect your feet. Wool socks are a great benefit to as the bacteria and fungus cant get a hold on them.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Dip it in Diesel and scrub it with a wire brush………(or was that for the clap? can't remember)

gazman
    Free Member

peachos, have you tried lamasil 1% spray i suffered with athletes foot for years and tried it, it worked within days and no reccurence, give it a go you never know mate,

gaz

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Formaldehyde.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Tea tree oil.

Fungicidal properties, dontchaknow.

duntstick
    Free Member

Antibacterial handwash, seriously………just cheapo stuff will do. Much stronger and more effective than modern girlie soap substitute stuff like Sanex.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Canesten did for mine.

And moving to a place with different carpets. It might be in your socks, shoes ect, which can be changed, but if you ever walked barefoot, or lived with someone with athletes foot who did, thats the likely source of the reinfection.

Northwind

Canesten is good. I don't know if the prescription one is the same as the off the shelf one but it did for mine.

john_drummer
    Free Member

machete

DickBarton

I've had a seriously bad fungal infection under my toes…started about 13 years ago and the doc reckoned it was nothing to worry about…each visit he told me it was all fine…then I finally got sent to a foot doc who took some samples and confirmed I had some sort of fungal thing – can't recall the name but it sounds like RubRum in the name) – anyway, I'd tried over the counter creams and had no impact…I was given a course of anti-biotics for 6 months and it did make a big difference…but the upshot was that I managed to loose have my big toe toenails on both feet…the nail is growing back but it isn't attaching – so I've got some real hideous looking big toes now – worse than they used to be!

To top that off, 6 weeks after the antibiotics ended, my middle toes on my left foot went bad…and I've almost lost the nail off that…got another appointment in a week or so time, but I'm hoping for a stronger treatment to give it the final heave-ho.

Saying that, after about 6 weeks of the antibiotics, my itchy feet cleared up and not problems since – feet get washed daily and fresh socks daily – I pad about the house with no shoes on so they get plenty of air (tiled floors downstairs so barefoot is out due to cold!).

Not that this helps at all, but if it doesn't clear up quickly, get to the docs and see about antibiotics to give it a good kicking before it gets a real strong hold…

Christowkid
    Free Member

There's Lammasil, and Lammasil 'One shot' or some such thing. It's about a tenner for a tube but is more powerful than the ordinary stuff. The ordinary stuff is applied after each shower/bath, but the extra powered stuff is a one off treatment where you cover your entire foot with it and use the entire tube. Mine wasn't very bad, but it has definitely sorted it whereas the ordinary Lammasil simply kept it in check as opposed to sorting it.
    Worth a try…….
    Q

sv

Potassium permanganate – comes as crysals from a chemist. costs pence.
    add to water and soak feet morning and night – amazingly totally clears it up in a few days. Honest.

Purple feet!!!

speaker2animals

Get some Napisan to add to your sock wash. It's designed for sanitising Terry nappies (for the three people who don't use disposables). Give your socks a batch wash with a strong addition of napisan. Trouble with modern fibres is the need for cool washes.

I use Daktacort when my infection flares up. Don't use too long as cortisone long term use damages skin.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

daktarin gold for me and making sure my feet are dry.

Put some powder or spray in your boots and wear fresh socks each day.

geoffj

Tea tree Oil
    Wash your feet properly in the shower every day
    Wear Birkenstocks or similar in the house / office

stevious

I used to have all sorts of athletes foot problems for years. It was very persistent, and even stuff from the GP wasn't totally effective.

The solution? Wash your feet with soap and water. A lot.

If you spend a few days (maybe up to a week) washing your feet about 6-8 times a day, not only will your feet feel great, but the fungus has no chance. Gets rid of the smelly bacteria too.

It's also worth powdering your socks and shoes for a good while longer to prevent reinfection.

sharkbait
    Free Member

walk on sand – my feet are always really good after two weeks beach holiday

I've found that walking on sand is also very good for the body and soul as well 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘kill my fungus’ is closed to new replies.