Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Kielder Forest / Newcastleton
  • Thomohawk
    Free Member

Morning all,

Looking for some advice / pointers on the above…

Heading to Hexham this weekend so planning to through the bikes in and catch Kielder and or Newcastleton.

Any recommendations on which trails to do – looks like there are a few options at Kielder? Newcastleton any good, worth a visit? Trail conditions just now, any snow?

Usually ride GT (red/black) / Innerleithen / Laggan etc etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Thomo.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you’re going to be in Hexham, i’d ride Hexhamshire Common or Blanchland/Edmunbyers.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trails-around-hexham

bajsyckel

Any snow left is melting very fast in the hairdryer wind. Most of the stuff on the moors (above) has been pretty boggy of late – not sure if the recent snow melt/rain or wind will win out for this weekend (i.e. it could be an unrelenting filthy mess, or dry in some places).

Kielder’s waymarked stuff will be fine snow and conditions wise, but there is nothing close to Laggan black in terms of sustained technical riding. The newer trails out towards the observatory are worth a look too, as the red/black on Deadwater won’t take very long to get round.

Newcastleton is often overlooked, but it is fun, albeit short. I haven’t been in ages though so can’t comment on conditions. Not sure I would make a special trip, but if you were riding over the border anyway you can do a loop or 2 before heading back.

warton
    Free Member

Avoid hexhamshire common, it will be boggy as anything

MtbRoutes

Agree, Hexhamshire = bogfest. Give it a month or two.

Garry_Lager

The lonesome pine trail at Kielder is OK for some nice views and for something to do to fill up a couple of hours. It’s a bit ordinary to be honest but it’s all bike riding eh. The Deadwater trail was good I thought, but quite short. Maybe do two loops?

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys.

CaptJon, checked out that link (cheers for that), any info on the stuff around Slaley? It’s actually Slaley Hall we’re heading for.

Thanks again.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Went to Kielder for the first time on Wednesday and it seems fairly weatherproof but the route marking is appalling, we did two red routes, with some people struggling to find the right way out of the car park.

Given how busy this place must get of a summer weekend with less experienced folk it can only be a matter of time before someone goes the wrong way on some single track with predictable results.

Northwind

Deadwater red/black is very good I thought, pretty varied, interesting surfaces and features… Not all that long but lappable, especially if you ignore the last climb/fireroad descent from the horrible black shack, which is a huge amount of work for the payback. Something a bit different from most trail centres, and also, technical climbing woo!

But yeah, signposting was dismal at the start. Fine once we were on the trail. Also one of their “blues” has the fantastic description:

“Some hills may be difficult for younger or less experienced cyclists and it is recommended that people in wheelchairs are accompanied. Visitors using a mobility scooter should ensure batteries are fully charged before setting off.”

So not all that blue I suspect

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ll try and remember the Blanchland route which takes in Slaley and map it on mapmyride.

warton
    Free Member

best bet would be edmundbyers / blanchland / carriers way that goes into slaley forest, there was a route in MBR a few months ago IIRC

seanodav
    Free Member

Do kielder black, then when you get onto the road at the end of the black follow the road until you see fireroad on the right heading up, go up here this will bring you to the red decent you miss doing the black.
    head down this till the end.
    We normally then drive to newcastleton and do that as its only 15 mile apart and easy enough doing them both.
    HTH Sean.

carbon337
    Free Member

sean – think we should have a look up there for a ride soon actually. Fancy it?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

red routes, with some people struggling to find the right way out of the car park

Ah, not just me then.

Follow Lakeside Way (south) to start Lonesome Pine, Bloody Bush etc.

Nice views!!!! 🙂

Kielder Water by clarkpm4242, on Flickr

Lonesome Pine by clarkpm4242, on Flickr

seanodav
    Free Member

Aye next couple of weeks? you mtfu this weekend 😆

bajsyckel

Thomohawk, The back of the hotel has loads of short walking and ‘outdoor pursuits’ routes which are fun to explore in places (especially at night) but often overgrown on the singletrack front. They will link you to the main area of forest (where clear felling or council-sponsored road-building has removed most of the interesting singletrack). Just follow your nose and explore.

Most loops on the moors that would be obvious from here would use bits of singletrack that are prone to being boggy (or damage when this wet), and it isn’t going to freeze this weekend, so like some of the others above I wouldn’t recommend them now (unlike warton 😉 ). That said, decent out-and-back routes are possible that avoid this. You can cut the one described below short at every village and loop back on the back roads (which are great riding (for roads or road bikes – nice climbs, high-level cruising and fast descents, all quiet) or retrace your tracks.

For example… Using the hotel tracks loop around to the top of the forest. From there head west/south west to the main track over toBlanchland (big obvious gate- can’t miss it). This will be messy in spots, but it is generally resistant to damage. Head south to the village. Pop into the Crewe (the crypt is pretty special). A quick spin (south) up the road towards Roohopewill bring you to the C2C route (almost the highest point of the road, head straight on on the very obvious left handed bend, ignore the track to the quarry on your right) which can be used as a high level (windy) route. It’s an old railway track and all weather, but the descent down from the engine house torookhope can be insanely fast. From there, you can cross over (continuing same direction) to Weardale climbing on the road, descending on roughbyways (all obvious on the ground/ on the map).

IMO @ Kielder the best stuff is short sections of the black climbs- they really are pretty good compared to any trail centre climbs I’ve done. I always forget about them for some reason.

seanodav
    Free Member

If your looking for any technical riding dont do lonesome pine!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its forecast to freeze on saturday night, so sunday mornign could be good to get out.
    (I’m assuming you access to a 1:25k OS map online)
    as bayjskel says, head over towards Blanchland Common, along Pennypie troad (main track) to Blanchland. Head west out of Blanchland, on the road, and south uphill to Buckshott Fell. Follow the bridleway over the fell east all the way to Edmundbyers. If its frozen, it’ll be amazing. It can get boggy in places…
    From Edmundbyers, follow the road back round to Blanchland. Head north-west up to Birkside fell and north over Bulbeck Common back to Slaley Forest.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Blanchland-Edmunbyers route. You can do it as a figure 8, or just part. We tend to start in Edmunbyers if we’re doing both loops as you finish with a nice descent.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/28794154

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Guys,

Cheers for all the comments and recommendations… weekend all ended up being a bit frantic – O2 coverage is terrible in Northumberland!! ‘No Service’ from about 8am saturday until about 8pm lastnight. Hahaha.

Anyway, ended up doing Newcastlton first thing on sat, followed by Kielder deadwater trail after lunch. Our plans changed slightly so didn’t get to check out lonesome pine, but liked what we saw and will defo be going back at somepoint for a full day. Did a little exploring around Slaley yesterday morning, and will defo look to get down that way again soon.

Cheers again, hope your weekends were as fun-filled as ours.

Thomo.

nodrog2
    Free Member

If you do Edmundbyers/Blanchland then try and work Bolts Law into the loop as well.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Kielder Forest / Newcastleton’ is closed to new replies.