Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kielder 101 / Border Challenge – anyone ridden this previously?
  • joemmo
    Free Member

hello
    this caught my eye last night, never heard of it before but it’s in my part of the world and sounds interesting..
    https://www.kielder101.co.uk/
    There’s a 101km race and a ‘challenge’ rider of 60km – basically an off-road sportive I guess.

Anyone done this previously or have any experience or insight to share?

whitestone
    Free Member

Did the 101Km a couple of years ago – possibly the first year it was run. Mostly fire roads and natural singletrack with some sections of the Newcastleton red trail and a trail right at the end near Kielder castle. (that’s assuming they keep the same route)

joemmo
    Free Member

thanks, was it worth doing? well organised?

jonny-m
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times now.
    Twice as the 101 and once as the original 100 miler
    Route tends to be the same or similar I think.
    Quite a good challenge, some good climbing.
    Well organised, registration in the castle the night before or on the morning, a couple of feed stations on route usually with a bag drop facility too and then basically one big 101k loop with great views and that “out there” feel.
    Can be a bit grim if the weathers bad as it’s a bit exposed up there but will do it again this year no doubt.
    Usually camp the night before as it’s an early start which is very cheap with good facilities.

£45 to enter is a little steep though I think…

STATO
    Free Member

I went to watch last year and (midge aside) everyone seemed to enjoy it. Ive not ridden the trails at Kielder in years so not sure what the far out ones are like but the stuff near the castle looked ace. Lots of whooping and hollering from the groups of riders as they were going down some stuff, not often you see the fast xc types showing enjoyment 😆

I took some pics my mate used in his blog

joemmo
    Free Member

cool, thanks for that link. I’ve spent a couple of summers working at Kielder so am all too familiar with both the midgies and the weather but am quite tempted to give the challenge ride a crack and consider the 101 for next year.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

deleted

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 101 / Border Challenge – anyone ridden this previously?’ is closed to new replies.