Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kielder 100 Training
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

After reading through the kielder 100 threads on here and discovering that entries are now already open 😯 as it looks like quite a few people on STW have already entered I thought I’d see what plans everyone had for training for this event and others like it. Over Christmas I’ll start writing out a training plan which hopefully I’ll be able to adapt to include enough mileage in preparation for the race, it will almost certainly include a lot of road miles (skinny road tyres on my mtb), at the minute I’m not even sure I’ll be able to take part but I’ll train for it anyway. 🙁

I’m not training at the minute, just getting out putting in lots of base miles and a few turbo sessions just to keep my fitness. I’ll start into a 3 month training plan sometime early January ready for an event in April (HoNC) If that works out ok I’ll stick with the plan and use it to prepare for the kielder 100, I’ll hopefully have a few other marathon events on the calendar before then so I chop and change it to suit. The furthest I’ve ever ridden xc so far is about 65miles so this will be a bit of a challenge not only just to finish but also to finish near the top, last season I was able to identify a few key areas in which I needed to improve, climb better for one, so I focused a lot of training on that and lost a fair bit of weight, about 16lbs, together with a lighter bike which climbs like a homesick angle made a big difference. I also need to sort out my nutrition for a ride like this which I’m working on now. Just a few of my thoughts anyway.

nonk
    Free Member

if you are going to do proper base during the winter my advice would be to make sure you ride slow dont just do more miles.
    i should say that i have yet to get this right myself and allways start the year knackerd. 😀

tinribz
    Free Member

Not put too much thought into it yet but I was contemplating splitting it up in to 3, 3 month plans. The first being building up to a century + on the RB. Then heading for the hills, again probably RB. And then starting some regular long off-road stuff in the final run up.

forge197
    Free Member

This was the thread I was thinking of starting whilst just in the gym.

I haven't quite worked out a plan but I will be doing all my training off road and some gym stuff for upper body. I am not a road fan so not sure if that will be a problem in building the miles. I'll be entering the following to also focus the mind.

SXC Series of Races
    Passportes Du Soleil

Training needs to be fun so when the days are longer and I am fitter 🙂 I will look to do multiple Stanes trails so Dalbeattie and Mabie, Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie or even a triple won't be near 100 miles but plenty of climbing and great trails. Not sure it's going to be possible to squeeze in a Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie, Mabie and Ae in one day though I suppose with light it's an idea.

I need to see what percentage of the 100 is Fireroad vs Singletrack, and then look to build a 100 mile loop that is a mix of terrain and have a bash.

Simplistically I have 10 months so would look to increment my total ride distance slowly over that period starting at 15miles and adding distance each and every month building to a peak of 100miles……be interesting to come back to this thread on the 5th September 2010 😀 But this will form my backbone of training just riding and more distance riding.

The other element to consider is nutriton and energy ensuring the body is well fulled and hydrated throughout.

Lots to think about and consider, as well as do.

windymills
    Free Member

Haven't thought too much into this myself yet but was hoping that from June time I'll be up to doing some long distance routes C2C, Rievers way, Border County ride etc over 1 or 2 days. I was also planning to do the Cross Border, Dead Water Fell and Lonesome Pine routes in one go to get a good distance covered on some of the trails that will be used.

forge197
    Free Member

If anyone is up for it maybe a Group Training Ride in the area nearer the time.

radoggair
    Free Member

plenty of base training over winter. Road bike wil be used for this mainly with a couple of long distance routes per week and mtb will be used mainly for fun rides and messing about. I can handle 100 mile training routes quite easy just now on RB so mainly base training. Start of Jan, do 1 2 hour hill climbing per week and build pace up till march when main focus will be race fitness for the year.

As always, my hardest thing wil be diet. I eat by far the worst food ever. I'm sure it could help me during events eating proper food daily

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 Training’ is closed to new replies.