• This topic has 74 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Kielder 100 – crickey is it only 2 weeks away. Maps and profiles…
  • adrianbutter
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the route is the same as last year? I can find maps for that.
    Is there a profile for the climb too, and a total height gain, so I might start to trick myself in to feeling confident…

It is going to be a big day out..!

Adrian

jonb
    Free Member

I emailed re profiles and got this back

"No profile available, you'll see the big hills when you get to them, when you get to them, you ride up and over them, the route constantly 'undulates'.

Kind regards
    Sara"

Shandy
    Free Member

They are pretty blunt – "If you are stopped at a cut-off, it is because you are too slow, don't blame the marshall" 😀

The final month of preparation hasn't work out as expected so I am trying to get everything finalised this week, next week I am just going to rest up and prepare myself for the pain.

Drac

For Sara that is quiet a tame response.

dickydutch

I bet she gets fed up of all the emails regarding profiles! Just turn up and ride is the best bet I reckon.

Shred
    Free Member

Well, to be fair, there aren't many rides out there that do not show the route an profile before the event. Plus with this being 100 miles, most people are nervous and would like some info before getting into it.

adrianbutter
    Free Member

Interesting approach. don't seem understand that riders love the prep stage.. the tyres, the route and profile, the mental getting ready…

Still, the rst of the web info looks good.

I'll assume it is the course and profile from last year then..

Is evryone camping at the start – community campsite? Can't get hold of them yet..

Adrian

richmars

Yes but what are you going to do if you get a profile? Go and buy some better legs?
    (Unless you're doing it single speed and you're not sure what ratio to use.)

jonb
    Free Member

No, but it mentally helps me break down the route into climbs which are more meaningful than miles to me.

Also if you are picking up supplies at the bottom of a hil then I wouldn't take any more than I had to. I'd take more at the top of a hill as I'd eat on the way down. A map would be nice as it would let you see the terrain types. For example, it's easy to eat on a road or fire road than it is on a technical singletrack descent. You also no that if the first half of the race has all the climbs and technical sections and the second half is perfectly flat fire road then all you need to do is meet the cut off in the first half and then you'll be fine. If it's the other way round and you pace yourself to scrape through the cutoffs, you're in trouble.

adrianbutter
    Free Member

🙂 ho ho, indeed. I guess the map is more what I would like.

I tend to use the map to break the job in to parts (and the profile). Most things like this are 50% physical and 50% mental.

If you don't convince yourself that you can do it, you won't on the day – good legs or not.

richmars

Fair points jonb, esp. the bit about which half is harder.

Shandy
    Free Member

I'm not too bothered to be honest, there will be route info available after. I have been wondering where the biggest sections of fire road or singletrack will be, but its not going to make a massive difference.

I think I am going for a Larsen 2.35 and a High Roller 2.35, just need to order the Larsen and some food and figure out the drop-bags.

I rang up last week and a nice lady took my details and told me to go to Jim or Bob's field and pay somebody a fiver when I got there, I'm sure the camping will be fine.

adrianbutter
    Free Member

Actually more than that…. if you don't have a profile, how do you know at 80 miles, with everthing falling apart what you have left to go, and how do you pace for the final hills…

ac282

Pretty sure the course has been changed. More trails have been opened since last year. Maybe they will be inculded.

Stu

MTFU and just ride it!

STATO
    Free Member

I think the word was it was a different course to last year, how different we wont know till they put a map up (youll probably find out friday briefing). Regarding 'drop bags', remember they are only supposed to be for food folks, so id expect to be turned away when they have 500 guys/girls trying to hand over spare jerseys/bottles/chains/tubes etc.

and Shandy – 2.35" tyres? are you mad!

njee20
    Free Member

What difference does it really make though? Are you not going to go because there's 12000ft of climbing and you only expected 11500?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the bag drop will work? Do we get bags at the briefing then hand them in on the Saturday morning or do we take our own bags & hand them over on the Friday at the briefing when we have our numbers? ❓

dickydutch

The course is the same for everyone. Just ride it like Sara said. (perhaps somewhat bluntly).

glenncampbell

If it's any help last year I tracked 7245ft of climbing in the first 60 miles and 3920ft in the last 41 miles, roughly 120ft per mile of climbing per mile before the newcastleton food stop and 95ish feet per mile afterwards. It's all generally hard and this year is meant to be harder and perhaps on a different route – so you know what to expect! Do use the bag drops for food though – I didn't last year and paid for it before the newcastleton stop.

The last big climb is 4 miles long and gains some 800ft in that distance, then it's 4 miles of nearly plain sailing home down the hill. Just keep turning the pedals. . . . Good luck and see you on the start line!

p.s. I really like Sara's style – no messing. Top lady!

Shandy
    Free Member

Stato, I'm not trying to set any records so I'm sticking with tyres that I'm going to use elsewhere. I'm not that bothered about the profile because I'm not going to get any fitter at this point so I will just have to keep moving until somebody tells me to stop. I can see how it might matter for the more competitive guys who are trying to carry less weight etc.

I think you bring your own sandwich bags to the Friday briefing, mine are just going to have some High5 4.1 powder and a couple of bars in them. Maybe some jelly sweets for the last one.

uplink
    Free Member

Also if you are picking up supplies at the bottom of a hil then I wouldn't take any more than I had to. I'd take more at the top of a hill as I'd eat on the way down.

good point, eating it will make is disappear, once it's past your oesophagus it becomes weightless – fact

miketually
    Free Member

I'll worry about the route when I have a bike 🙂

richmars

Anyway, as a Cambrideshire Fen rider, what's a hill and what's a profile?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was speaking to someone involved last week and they reckoned this year's route is different to last year's and harder. There were complaints that it was not hard enough last year from people who'd come from abroad to ride it.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I was speaking to someone involved last week and they reckoned this year's route is different to last year's and harder. There were complaints that it was not hard enough last year from people who'd come from abroad to ride it.

^^^^^^^^ 😯 ^^^^

uplink
    Free Member

Personally, I don't care how hard or easy it is – it doesn't even bother me too much thinking about not completing it.

I'm just going to ride until I finish/collapse or get told to go home because I'm too slow

Shandy
    Free Member

I've got the impression from a few places that there will be more singletrack and maybe a bit more technical stuff than last year. What body armour for the Kielder 100?!

molgrips
    Free Member

good point, eating it will make is disappear, once it's past your oesophagus it becomes weightless – fact

If you have to carry all your food at the start, then you are going to be carrying more weight for longer than if you take it on board as you go…

uplink
    Free Member

If you have to carry all your food at the start, then you are going to be carrying more weight for longer than if you take it on board as you go…

he was talking about stocking up at the top of hills & eating it on the way down rather than stocking up at the bottom – not whether or not to carry all his food from the start

Shandy
    Free Member

Good of you to clear that up molgrips.

trickydisco
    Free Member

well I did an 83 mile ride yesterday and was out for 10 hours. Am absolutely shattered. Wondering if i should order a thud buster suspension seatpost to make things a bit easier?

d 7245ft of climbing in the first 60 miles and 3920ft in the last 41 mile

What!! I thought I was supposed to be 6000ft of climbing total?

coopersport1
    Free Member

Tyres- Dry = Ralps
    Wet = Nics
    Check

Food = Lots (don't forget those little bags)

Other than a few specifics like whistle and space blanket it's just another long day ride that for a change I don't have to think about where I'm going, just follow the arrows and others.

As the girl said turn up ride find hills when you get to them!

senorj

I went on Friday.
    Did the lonesome pine/bloody bush and the deadwater trails as advised on another kielder thread.
    What I learned ,is that I will definitely need at least a couple sets of spare brake pads if it rains or has rained in the preceding 24/48 hours.
    Sandtastic!
    The hills aren't too bad but a hundred miles of them will hurt.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Did anyone see the article published on here a few days ago? I'm sure it said the Kielder blue was included in the route. I would always prefer to be aware of the route, but if this event (organisers) choose that the route shall remain a secret for all, then I'm happy with that.
    It's obviously gonna be a bit hilly, which means lots of downs as well as ups 😆 I suggest we all chill a little and try not to worry about a few little hills, think positive otherwise you could be beaten before you start.

coopersport1
    Free Member

SteveBbrain

It's obviously gonna be a bit hilly, which means lots of downs as well as ups I suggest we all chill a little and try not to worry about a few little hills, think positive otherwise you could be beaten before you start.

Here here well said
    Can't believe there are threads on here of people saying they'll be glad to make the 1st cut off etc etc.
    Well save yourself £50 and stay in bed then!

uplink
    Free Member

Can't believe there are threads on here of people saying they'll be glad to make the 1st cut off etc etc.
    Well save yourself £50 and stay in bed then!

Whys that then?
    If people only want to do half of it – so what? they aren't interfering with elite athletes like yourself

warton
    Free Member

It will be harder, with more climbing. thats what the bloke who has put the course together.

I've had to pull out, we're moving house that weekend, totally gutted, but I doubt ym wife and 3 month old son can do it by themselves.

was up there yesterday before I got the news, trails are in fairly good condition, but if it rains for a few days beforehand it will be like last year…

jonb
    Free Member

It is a well known fact that once you drink the water out of your camelback the weight no longer exists. 5th law of thermodynamics.

ajf
    Free Member

Through lack of actual training I have chosen the PMA method of training and conditioning. A Positive Mental Attitude and the acceptance of pain means it really can't be that hard. Its only a day of discomfort.

Actually quite glad I don't know the course as it may interfer with my (lack of) training regime and my ignorance is bliss attitude.

Mate is starting a 5 day non-stop adventure race this Thursday so in persective its just a Saturday jolly really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 – crickey is it only 2 weeks away. Maps and profiles…’ is closed to new replies.