Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kielder 100
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I am wondering it this is attainable – although the weather this year was awful – does anyone have a GPX or ride data i.e how much climbing, what sort of terrain?

miketually
    Free Member

Climbing: lots
    Terrain: mixed, wet

🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

hills aren’t steep – but they are long. some 15 minute climbs.

there were lots of people (who might not have finished mind) who didn’t seem very fit.

I didn’t finish, mind.

Drac

The date is the 15th September next year.

Garmin site usually turns up something for K100.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I did the Oktoberfest @ in 8 hours 13 laps (120Km) solo and got 21/60 which is my longest race yet – so just wondering if it would be unreasonable?

Thanks Drac – I’ll have a butches

miketually
    Free Member

The date is the 15th September next year.

I’d misread the site as the 5th. Thanks.

That’s later than previously; maybe we’ll get snow? 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Well I did the Oktoberfest @ in 8 hours 13 laps (120Km) solo and got 21/60 which is my longest race yet – so just wondering if it would be unreasonable?

You’ll be fine. I finished 2 out of three with very little training.

Drac

Ok found this one but mustn’t have finished but gives you an idea.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111703716

foxyrider
    Free Member

I looks like a lot of fire road climbs?

richmars

You’ll be fine. The weather may be the problem, like this year. Last year was fine, and I’m a 49 year old from the hills of Cambridgeshire.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s attainable if you can do 120km in 8 hours.

Other than the Kielder by longest rides ever are normally about 8 hours. I got round in 11 hours in the dry and 12.5 hours in the wet (of which a large part of the extra was spent fixing my bike).

Get a couple of long rides in early in the year and go for it.

Fantastic event and a great sense of challange and achievement.

Having said all that having done it twice now I won’t be going back in 2012. This years was enough to remove any desire of doing it again.

uplink
    Free Member

top tip

Book a nice warm bed at the YHA now if camping in the rain and midges bothers you
    it’s only a couple of hundred metres from the start and you can always cancel later if not needed

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers guys – just mulling over next years event calendar 🙂

senorj

Do it. It’s an excellent goal (and excuse for more riding :D) to aim for. Start training now!
    The climbs are of a reasonable gradient but there’s alot of it.
    Alot of fire road but after Newcastleton you’ll be glad of it.
    The terrain is sandstone – hence the problems this year when it rained non stop.All day.
    I’ve done it twice and loved it , however I’m still in therapy for post traumatic stress after the last one!

there were lots of people (who might not have finished mind) who didn’t seem very fit.

That was probably me. 😀

flowerpower
    Free Member

Yep… Go for it.

I rode it last year (in the dry). It was by far the longest ride I had completed, although I did get a couple of road 100 milers under my belt during that summer, along with a few big 8 hr mtb days out in the hills.

I am pretty certain that if you are fit enough to ride for 8 hours, then you will physically be able to keep going for another couple, for me it was just a matter of determination and stubbornness that kept me going towards the end. More of a mental challenge at that point somehow.

Having said that, I completed it and was happy to do so, but I won’t be back. It is a good event, well organised and an amazing sense of acheivement to finish, but as a days riding it was possibly one of the least enjoyable that I’ve had 🙄

chilternguy
    Free Member

Brilliant event. Friendly…Yet brutal. Any suggestions on quickest change / longest life brakes?

iDave
    Free Member

Given that there are about 11 months to train, why would it not be attainable?

marvincooper

Do it! Do it! Do it!!!

My first time this year and I loved it. Just build up the miles gradually – commuting helped me with the odd long weekend ride.

Can’t wait for next year.

large418
    Free Member

Have done the last 2 K100’s, enjoyed the first one, not sure about the second, but it is a fantastic event/achievement. Most of the event is a mental challenge, I think you need to be fairly fit, but as most of the challenge is in your head, the fitter you are, the easier your head will think it is.

Believe you can do it, and you will.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.