Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Kielder 100
  • MrSparkle

I wonder what the 'required equipment' that they mention is?

MS
    Free Member

Usually these events mean take survival bag, spare food, spare clothes etc. Just to cover themselves really.

I sometimes 'forget' to put mine in!

mt
    Free Member

Have done trailquests at Kielder a few times and they (FC) insist on water proof, bivi bag, whistle etc. All the basic stuff you'd need for a big day on the hills in bad weather or if you had a problem. They used to do a kit check to make sure you had the stuff with you.

MS
    Free Member

I doubt they will do a kit check, I can gaurantee the guys going for the win will not carry a camelback…

miketually
    Free Member

Probably stuff you'd usually carry, plus a "survival bag" and first aid kit. Be nice if they let us know fairly soon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lol mark they will carry a camelback if the organisers disqualify them for not carrying the right kit 😉

MS
    Free Member

There not going to. Been to to many events where they say this, but they don't really care.

Just to cover themselves incase you get into trouble while out and you cant blame them for not recomnding the right kit to take.

sofatester
    Free Member

I can gaurantee the guys going for the win will not carry a camelback

Good point.

The first 100km "marathons" half the field only had two water bottles and a spare tube. Can't see how this race is any different.

valley
    Free Member

[/quote]The first 100km "marathons" half the field only had two water bottles and a spare tube. Can't see how this race is any different.

The difference is this is 100 mile's not Km's 😀

miketually
    Free Member

The difference is this is 100 mile's not Km's

Only 60% further 😉

Drac

3 water bottles then.

miketually
    Free Member
    sofatester
    Free Member

Only 60% further

Might want to check your calculator 🙂

Still only a two bottle event with feed stations.

Drac

Might want to check your calculator

I think you could let him of with off your were 38 miles out he's 1/2 a mile out.

miketually
    Free Member
    Ti29er
    Free Member

Having not visited Keilder, what's the couse likely equate to?
    Is it more Dalby than Afan than Cannock for example?

100 miles is about the distance from the M25 to Nottingham up the M1, so I'm trying to judge what the terrain is like before I start thinking about possibly training for this level of cycling.

For those who have tackled something of this magnitude, what in your opinion would you consider a decent marker by which to start to gauge ones fitness / ability to complete this event? Aside from the TransWales that is. Are we looking at 15+ laps solo at Bonty 24? A Merida in under 5hrs? What's a decent gauge?

warton
    Free Member

the course will be mainly forest road, I think everyone agrees on that, but it is very hilly around kielder, its very rare you've on flat ground, so expect a lot of climbing, I can think of three or four big old climbs off the top of my head,,,

Just for the record, I'm certainly not going for the win, but I won't be taking a rucksack, just water bottles and saddle bag, the thought of lugging around a rucksack for 10 hours is not a nice one

Ti29er
    Free Member

If it's forest road, are we better at looking at riding a CX bike and not a full susser? Maybe a HT 29er with large volume tyres would take any sting out of the coure?

Given that the extra distance is going to be made up with forestry roads (?) am I right in assuming it will link some decent single track too along the way?

Sorry – just trying as best as I can to get a feel for this event.

samuri
    Free Member

You've only got a month left, if you're not there training wise soon it's going to be too late. I suspect it's more Afan if you're using trail centres to gauge it, with less singletrack. Big hills, spectacular views can be guaranteed.

Personally, I'd be riding most days up the biggest hills I could find as fast as I could and chucking in a super-long ride at the weekend consisting of masses of offroad and masses of climbing.

Ti29er
    Free Member

🙁 Living in Watford, it's a little light on Big Hills here.
    I managed 11 laps at Bonty 24 (Pairs), although if I'd been solo I think I'd have coped with 15. But that's over 24hrs, a quite different prospect to 100 miles in 12hrs, or thereabouts.
    I have found that if the going is smooth-ish and reasonably non-technical the 29er is just magic at eating up the miles, far more so than the Turner Flux.

thomthumb
    Free Member

15 laps of 24:12 is around that distance. From the riding i've done around kielder (not a lot) i'd expect the majority of the distance to be less tech than 24:12. (although the black at kielder is more so but shorter than a bonty lap)

I think that there'd be some of the trails (kielder and newcastleton) thrown in and fire road/ smoothish singletrack between to make up distance.

warton
    Free Member

Training? not for me
    Going to France on saturday for two weeks, will be running and swimming, but no biking, will get in a couple of long road rides before hand(100k +), and doing 50 miles MTB in the peaks, but thats the extent of my training. you've got 12 hours to do it in, plenty of time

PS I doubt CX bikes will be allowed, I'm doing it on a 5" full suss, just going to fit some super fast rolling rubber, have pro pedal on full and lock the forks at 110mm, and have them fully locked out for pretty much all of it

charlierevell
    Free Member

Training?

Furthest off road ride is 32 miles, on road 120 miles.
    Off road will be increase to 40 at the weekend on the Exmoor Explorer.

I think its going to be tough, but sod it, I want to get to the end.

warton
    Free Member

sorry you've actually got 13.5 hours to do it in 6.30 to 20:00 (if sunset is their definition of 'dark')

Ti29er
    Free Member

Are "we" in agreement that I might not be out of my depth with this one then? Keep up the training and increase the distances?
    It's a bloomin' long way to travel to not complete the 100 miles!

numplumz
    Free Member

100 miles off road is going to be bloody tough, a fast off road race pace for us average haveagos is about 12mph. And thats for an hour or two.

I'm thinking of all those rides in Wales and Peaks where all of a sudden doing 10mph is a challange. 10 hours is going to be a good time.

Ian Leitch will probably do it in about 6 hrs though 😉

Anyone got any info about camping?

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's mentioned on XC Racer web site – in short, yes, but more info is due to be posted up shortly on their main 100 mile race website.
    Fingers X-ed that there will be some serious amounts of forestry roads or fire trails as this will see the likes of JoeOrdinary (aka, me) actually stand a chance of finishing the full distance. 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

You'll be fine. Don't worry about it. You're clearly a keen rider and have already done endurance events. I'd try to get in at least one 100 mile ride if you can before hand though, just so you know the sort of thing to expect. Even if it's flat roads.

I've got a 65 mile offroad ride planned for this Sunday, 1800m of climbing, and the weathers going to be crap. That should be a good introduction. 😉 I'll be happy if I do that in 6 hours.

This one.
    http://www.samuri.co.uk/gps/06032005.gif

edit: Crap, it's only 52 miles. I'll need to add some stuff on the end.

rolfharris
    Free Member

This will be my first ever race with a camelbak, and I'd like to finish in the top 5%.

I'll whip myself after for my sins, though.

samuri
    Free Member

There's still not a huge amount of vets. You old bastards. Make sure you don't drop dead of old age half way round.

miketually
    Free Member

Here's my k100 prep:

January: 120 miles
    February: 90 miles
    March: 132 miles
    April: 87 miles
    May: 153 miles
    June: 238 miles
    July: 216 miles

Most of that is my 6 miles a day commute, on a cargo bike. I've done 10 'proper' rides this year, but the last of those was 92 road miles (on the SS MTB I'm riding at Kielder) with a fair amount of climbing so I'm fairly happy I'll be ok. I won't be racing, just aiming to complete it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.