Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Kids kept inside at school again today!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Third day on the trot they’ve not been allowed out to play! Ice and snow kills apparently!!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Yeah, ‘cos teachers LOVE IT when they have to keep the kids in at Break and Lunch.

It isn’t an easy decision, and the success criteria are that NOTHING HAPPENS, so it is very hard to tell if it was necessary. Believe me, it won’t have been taken lightly.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wooh there, the mrs works at the school so is well aware of what goes on, perhaps if the caretaker had got his finger out and cleared some paths Monday morning the kids wouldn’t be going stir crazy!!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My kids playground was still covered in ince this morning,and given that it hasn`t risen above 0 all day here,I reckon its safer all round.

stratobiker
    Free Member

@wrightyson – sounds like you best get down there tomorrow and give them the benefit of your wisdom! 😉

project
    Free Member

Perhaps if all the maoning parents turned up with a s hovel and some salt tomorow, then the children could play outside.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Throw in the fact that a good 10% or more of the kids will be at school without a decnt coat or hat etc and crappy “ballet” shoes. Keep them in and there are moans, send them out and the school is cruel.
    I don’t know of any school that wants the little buggers in at break times. You have got to give the classes change to “de- smell” a bit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Whatever happened to ice slides across the pavement and snowball fights against the bigger boys?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

, perhaps if the caretaker had got his finger out and cleared some paths Monday morning the kids wouldn’t be going stir crazy!!

cleared your paths, drive and all the street outside your house have you? or too much like hard work?

Perhaps if all the maoning parents turned up with a s hovel and some salt tomorow, then the children could play outside.

+1

matt_outandabout

Tis what happens here. Lots of people go and help the caretaker and clear the icy bits, paths, and a big play area. Kids are then warned about it – and then off they go.
    I do think we need to expose kids to this kind of managed low level risk more, instead of the blanket ‘oh no, it might be dangerous and then someone will sue us’ approach that permeates.
    At work today, we had a group of primary kids up a hill in deep snow, play ‘who can find the biggest snow drift’ and ‘who can find the best and safest spot for a bum slide sledge’. Ace fun,

_tom_
    Free Member

What’s the point in being at school when its snowy/icy if you can’t go outside and make an ice skid patch to play on? We always used to do this, it was all fun til some teacher came along with salt and ruined it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve cleared a whole parking area and the top of the street where everyone turns round at work oh and when is this moaning parent supposed to get down there as I leave for work at 7.30 and get home at 5.30! And I hardly think a half hr dose at lunch is gonna cause frost bitten toes!

totalshell

half a dozeen dads facing a day off work volunteereed to clear the snow on sunday.. were nt allowed on site for health and safety reasons..

antigee

i spoke to our headteacher about this and the decision seemed more driven by complaints from parents about kids getting cold and wet than by safety concerns
    incidentally the only casualty last year was a parent who slipped on ice a little sad because the caretaker makes a real effort

ianv
    Free Member

Maybe they found some dangerous breaking bumps in the playground.

Education authorities pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds every year to settle claims regarding accidents in the playground. Perhaps the school felt that they might mitigate this slightly by taking a more cautious approach.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve cleared a whole parking area and the top of the street where everyone turns round at work oh and when is this moaning parent supposed to get down there as I leave for work at 7.30 and get home at 5.30! And I hardly think a half hr dose at lunch is gonna cause frost bitten toes!

So what ‘exactly’ is your problem?

Are we/they not all doing the best they can?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Errr, the kids being stuck inside all day?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s health & safety and the nanny state gone mad. And also they probably don’t want to upset muslim children because they don’t have a tradition of playing in the snow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ha! Bit different to our place when ‘excercise is cancelled due to inclement weather’ is announced. Your’e liable to get a telly on your head.
    Think I’d rather tell kids they can’t go out.

aP
    Free Member

It’s down to claim culture, basically the schools don’t want to be sued. 7.30 and home at 5.30 – how about 6.45 and home at 9?

spacemonkey

My lad (nearly 18 months) has been having a proper rough n tumble in the snow/ice at nursery this week. Outdoor play is encouraged there regardless of the weather – they’re free to go outside at any time. Thumbs up from me.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Spent 15mins typing it. Changed my mind. 🙂

The short version!

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter’s teaching primary school in Bucharest, the kids have to go out at break as long as they have the correct gear. It was -17 with a foot of snow there last week.

the-muffin-man

Its pathetic – winter at school used to be great fun (late 70s!). We used to create slides polished to perfection that ran the whole length of the playground. And you’d purposely go to school in your shoes with the least grip so you could slide faster!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

+1 Muffin man… Apart from the 80’s here 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

It’s health & safety and the nanny state gone mad. And also they probably don’t want to upset muslim children because they don’t have a tradition of playing in the snow.

You forgot the swan!

Edric64
    Free Member

And also they probably don’t want to upset muslim children because they don’t have a tradition of playing in the snow.

But it snows in Bradford so they should be used to it

Tracker1972
    Free Member

At our school they go out in anything pretty much. Two downed trees recently means in properly high winds they don’t go out. Snow just means they have to choose, on the field and you are fair game for a snowball fight against anyone else there, including staff, or the yard for snowball immunity. No swapping though!
    This week though from Tuesday on there. Has been no snow, just rough ot rounded lumps of ice as far as the eye can see. No fun for anything (although it was a good test got my ice tyres) so they have been kept in.

No fun for any of us but they simply couldn’t play out, so yes, they go stir crazy. We could just close the school instead if you would prefer… 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

This is just the Human Rights Act rearing its ugly head. You’re not allowed to make children play outside because molesters might take photos of them and it would be a breach of privacy to tell photographers they can’t stand outside the gates.

adi66
    Free Member

My oldest lad is allowed outside no matter what the weather, and he often comes home COVERED in mud n stuff.

They even have a small woods to play in (it has a “outdoor classroom” there for the summer, log benches etc etc. ) and this week they have been shaking the smaller trees and throwing snowballs at the branches to make the snow fall… Great fun, HARMLESS fun.. no problems.

+1 on muffin man & funky dunc’s comments 🙂 I remember the days…

hammyuk
    Free Member

I remember it snowing EVERY year and there was none of the hysteria there is now!
    We only got stopped on the reallllllly long downhill path as the main doors were at the bottom and the staff got fed of human skittles.
    We used to have to have spare shoes/trousers at school too so why not nowadays?
    If they get wet/muddy, just clean them up, and shower them off when they get home!

duckman

teamhurtmore – Member
    Whatever happened to ice slides across the pavement and snowball fights against the bigger boys?

Posted 13 hours ago # Report-Post

Claims direct, injury lawyers.com etc is what happened. As a teacher,it does happen frequently.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Kids kept inside at school again today!!’ is closed to new replies.