Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kids cycle clubs
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There’s one in Cardiff (Maindy Flyers) and I’m wondering if anyone’s young kids are in clubs and what sort of things they get up to?

tomlevell

Yes in the North East.
    We have a road circuit and Velodrome locally and a couple more not far away which has youth training from 2 local clubs on evenings and weekend and specific kids skills and racing event 12 times a year on an evening. Basically from being able to use a pedal bike so 3+

Plenty of other youth racing down to U8 around the area. Not so much for U6 but they don’t need more yet.

The local MTB club do evening rides/training but is aimed at about 10 upwards really. There is one U8 who goes but he’s strong.

Club in Scarborough also run a fair few grass based MTB races but not made it to any this year.

York has a pretty active Velodrome and circuit also.
    Not sure what the age limit on the velodrome is but fixed might be interesting if you chuck some 6 yo on :0)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Think there’s 3 or 4 in the Tweed Valley. I helped out with one for a bit and tried taking my kids along but they weren’t really into it. There was quite an emphasis on racing within the club which put my kids off and I decided I’d rather spend quality time with my kids. My son is 13 now and he’d much rather go for a ride with me and my mates. My daughter needs a bit more encouragement and I found she gets more out of it when it’s just us. Personally I can’t think of anything worse than being part of a club with membership fees and uniforms and organised rides so I don’t blame my kids for not wanting it either.

igm

Size is more the limit on the York Sport velodrome. Our 10 yr old did 3 hours there this morning and he started at nine – but he was borderline on the track bikes last year.

Both he and his 5 yr old brother have been along to the closed road circuit they have at the same place. There are a few younger ones there too.

iainc

Yep, eldest son is in Glasgow Riderz and I help out on the Sat sessions. Road, MTB, track, good attendance at local and national racing. Great club, long waiting list which shows the success of it !

canopy
    Free Member

Nothing to do with em, but there’s a group down here called the Quantocks Quickriders who do youth coaching on weds nights

(fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quantockquickriders/ )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kids cycle clubs’ is closed to new replies.