Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kids bikes – after 20"?
  • downshift

Our eldest is outgrowing her 20″ wheeled Specialized. She’s on the minimum recommended measurements for the smaller Islabike Beinn, but there doesn’t seem to be any geometry information for this frame on their website. Her first bike was a Cnoc 16 and top quality, but with the plethora of components lying around in our or friends’ garages it seems to be a sensible plan to build something up around a (very) small adult frame. Has anyone else had a crack at this, or alternatively gone down the 24″ route? Any suggestions as to suitable frames available secondhand or at a sensible price?

GW
    Free Member

rather than **** about, I’d get her a 24″ wheel kids bike.

iainc

our 8 yr old has just gone from a Beinn 20 to a Beinn 26 small. I did try him on a Cube 24, but it was waaay to heavy. He is loving the bigger wheels and geometry is good. he is average size.

Based on the Geometry chart when I ordered the bike a month ago, he was on min height and his inside leg was 1cm less than the min. I swopped out the stock tyres for 1.8 Fire XC Pro’s, so that lifted it a bit. During this first ride, I actually raised the saddle from the very minimum by about 2.5 cm, which suited him better

These taken on Wed :

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Got my nipper (8yo at the time) the isla 24″ which was a good step up from a 20″ but then again she is a short arsenic and the 26″ was just too big.

mtbfix

We have a tiny (15″?) steel Rockhopper frameset in the loft. Needs a respray but you can have it if you can collect from Reading way.

br
    Free Member

I think if the IslaBikes had been around when my son was smaller, we’d have got him one – but he had a Trek MT220 (24″) instead.

Whatever you get, make sure its small enough, has plenty of adjustability and weighs as little as possible.

BlobOnAStick

ianc +1

My daughter (9-years old today) is riding a small Beinn 26 now. She LOVES it, and wouldn’t settle for anything other than an Islabike. she’s about the right height but 2cm short inside leg, but she’s coping very well.

I thought the box was empty when it was delivered (well, nearly)!

Big-M
    Free Member

My 8 year old got a Beinn 26 for his birthday, fitted him well at 8 he’s approaching 9 now, great bike and with a pair of slicks a versatile bike, he raced some crits on it.
    They have cable guides on them that’ll allow the fitting of a front mech, so upgradable.

How about a Beinn 24 if the 26 is too big?

iainc

I reckon the biggest help or hinderance for kids is the weight of the bike. When I tried the wee guy on a Cube 24, it was 4 pounds heavier, due mainly to the triple and the suspension fork – just positioning it was a struggle for him. The Islabike has about the same standover ‘cos of the rigid fork, but it’s light weight is a huge bonus. He rode stuff first time out on Wed on the 26 that he wouldn’t ride a month ago on the 20 🙂

downshift

Thanks for the information all, confirms our already high opinion of islabikes.
    mtbfix, will take you up on that offer if I may; I’m in Newbury so shouldn’t be too hard to arrange collection.

downshift

mtbfix, if you send some contact details to andyhoaen[at]gmail[dot]com then I’ll get in touch and arrange pick up. Thanks!

mtbfix

YGM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kids bikes – after 20"?’ is closed to new replies.