• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kids bikes – 24" wheels
  • dawson

Are they worth bothering with?

Eldest daughter is 8 (9 in September) and has just about outgrown her bike with 20″ wheels.

I’m in 2 minds whether to skip 24″ wheels and go straight to 26″ wheels, but I’m not sure if it will be too much of a jump size-wize and be difficult to handle.

Anybody have similar experience?

iainc

my eldest went from an Islabikes 20 to a 26 a few months ago and was fine. The Islabikes Bein 26 has a small frame and is very light. He is 8 (9 in Dec) and medium height

Neil-F
    Free Member

I bought my lad a 24″ at 10yo two years ago, he was definately too small for a 26″ as I’d tried him on my daughters. The 24″ is still fine for him now, although a 26″ would now fit him.
    A 26″ would most probably be too big for your girl just now, a 24″ would be safer, more comfortable, and should last her at least 3 years I’d say. 9 to 12 s probably ideal for a 24″.

iainc

worth having a look on the Islabikes website and their size chart – they go on height and inside leg and they do know their stuff

dawson

ta, folks – will measure her up and have a look at the size chart to get a better idea.

br
    Free Member

Would you buy a bike that is too big for yourself?

My son is still on 24″ wheeled bikes, he got his first at 7 (which he still has and uses on the ‘street’), and currently has a 24″ wheel Norco FS and a 24″ 4X HT. When he gets big enough the Norco will be sold and the HT upgraded with 26″ wheels.

You could also buy an XS bike and put 24″ wheels on it?

And my two elder sons (16 and 17) have gone ‘back’ to 24″ on SS jump bikes…

midlifecrashes

I have a nine, eleven and fourteen year old all rolling on 24s right now. The fourteen year old is the smallest of her mates though. Fourteen year old would have been fine on a 26 from last summer, but is managing with max seatpost.

rustler
    Free Member

If you can get over to Ludlow the folks at Isla seriously know their stuff. I was sceptical our eldest would fit a Bein 20 after his Cnoc14, but they were adamant he would be fine…& they were right.

moniex
    Free Member

Just reading this and wondering, if you put 24″ wheels on a 26″ frame, wont the bb be too low?!? I am considering doing this to for my son, but thought this may be a sticking point! I am just a girl mind you…

Simone

ianv
    Free Member

20-26 is a big jump. I built a 24 inch for my (7 yr) son who is really comfortable on a 20 inch. He is nowhere near as good on it yet, even thought it is a way better bike. For tow paths etc bigger bikes may be ok but for anything technical, err on the smaller size.

Ashley
    Free Member

My son went to a 24″ hotrock and it lasted just over a year. Children can have large growth spurts. In the end I got him a 2nd hand 26″ hardrock in xs (13″) frame size and this has provided him with a lot more growing room. We got it when he was 9 and he has just turned 12 last month (5’5″ tall now)and is about to move onto a new scandal I’m about to build up for him.

The Hardrock, was actually lighter too – as mine came with rigid forks and lighter wheels etc. As for the handling, he found the 26″ wheeled bike better, even in tight singletrack. Also a lot easier to roll up & down hills.

The hardrock will be up for sale shortly . (e-mail in profile if intereted).

GW
    Free Member

if you get your kids the right sized bike when they need it rather than the next wheel size up (to grow into) or waiting until next birthday/Christmas you’ll get 2 or 3 years out of their 20 and 24″ wheel size bikies.
    I see far too many 8/9yr olds on 26″ wheels, they look like bloody 29er riders on them.. is that what you want for your kids? well.. is it? 😕

TiRed

Definitely worth it. We went 12-20-24-26-700C and it’s a bit like kids clothes. You buy the right size, they use them until they look a bit small, buy the next size up an they they look “right” again.

We bought a used Kona Hula when Son1 was 8 about five years ago, Son2 is 10 now and rode to school on it this morning. Lovely bike. Thrashed around Swinley at weekends and commutes during the week. We then moved to a 14″ frame Kona Blast for Son1 which will be passed down.

Go second hand. Most quality bikes won’t have had the use/abuse ours has.

dawson

hmm, measured the kids earlier

daughter no.1 – age 8 (9 in september) 1.33m tall, 60cm inside leg
    daughter no.2 – age 7 (8 in december) 1.35m tall, 62cm inside leg

(and, yes, I have double-checked my measurements.. I think/hope No.1 is due a growth spurt)

Looking at the size chart, they’ll be straight on to 26″ wheels

ratadog

My daughter went straight from a 20 inch Kona to a 26 inch Beinn Small on the basis of the Islabikes size chart with no problems. Son aged 8 currently on the Kona but seat going up on a regular basis. Probably going to pass the 24″ by as well.

igm

As a suggestion, and it’s certainly be thought about and I believe done on here before, get a 26″ wheeled bike (adult 14″ frame perhaps) with disc brakes and rebuild the wheels on 24″ rims, changing the cranks for 165mm at the same time if necessary.

Drops the BB by an inch, half of which you make back with shorter cranks that are better suited to short legs anyway.

Then when they grow guess what – rebuild the wheels again.

Probably worth it if you want to get them good quality kit.

Then again, you are unlikely to go wrong with Isla’s mob.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kids bikes – 24" wheels’ is closed to new replies.