Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kids bike question for an 11 year old
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m buying my lad a new bike for his birthday on Monday as he’s now outgrown his GT 24 inch. He’s 4’11 and growing quickly as they all do at that age.

He often rides with me now so I’m after something decent but under 400 as it needs to last around 2 maybe 3 years at a push.

I’ve shortlisted 3x650b hardtails – A cube Aim SL 14 inch, Cannondale Trail 6 Small and a btwin 540 small.

I can’t find anything this side of 400 with an air fork which is a downer as he is super lightweight and having a fork that actually works for him and doesn’t weigh 5lbs would be a real bonus.

I wonder if anyone has recently done any research and found any other bikes I should consider?

Thanks all.

jonathan
    Free Member

You’d be very lucky to get anything new with an air fork for less than 700 I think. I’d be looking at second hand 26″ wheeled bikes to get something good at that money.

Also even at 4’11’ most adult “small” frames will be quite big – so worth getting him on a few to see how they size up.

The Whyte 604 compact would be a good one to look at, if only to comapre frame geometry to. It’s £525 but still only has a coil fork…
    http://www.whyte.bike/#!604/ifi6f

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Whyte found one for £400 so I ordered it you’re right no chance of a air fork and size is likely more important.

iainc

been through similar here. Older boy is a small 13, about 5ft 3, and has for past year been on a 650B Cube Acid with 15 inch frame. Great Marz air fork, which is quite light. Think it retailed at around £800 but got with club discount for around £600. Full Deore groupset, xt rear mech

His younger brother, who is a large 9.5 (exactly 5 ft tall now) has just gone onto a Genesis Core 20, 650B, the 2015 one, with a 14 inch frame. It is a tad heavier than the Cube Acid and also slightly higher at front, as it has a 120mm fork – again air, a suntour xcr. We got this one for £450 in sales in January from LBS.

They both really benefit from decent groupsets, shimano hydro brakes and particularly air forks – both are set with around 50psi and light rebound, and they get full travel on them.

EDIT – The Genesis is still available from Sprockets (where I got it) at £450 – WITH AIR FORKS 🙂

here

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well that’s got to be a record for fastest cancelled order thanks for the heads up Iain! Perfect and well worth the extra 50. even has better standover in the 14 inch size and as you say a much better groupset and forks. Nice one.

iainc

🙂

br
    Free Member

For my son I bought another fork, got a air Recon. Worth it for him to have a bike that works.

He often rides with me now so I’m after something decent but under 400 as it needs to last around 2 maybe 3 years at a push.

tbh £400 is less than most of us would spend on a fork never mind a bike for 2-3 years, is your bike so cheap?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup I’m a cheap bastard. When he’s 16 he can have a proper bike. He’s 11 if he sticks with it we’ll see.

jonathan
    Free Member

Good result 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well it arrived today and I’m very happy with it, it’s a proper bike with forks that actually work, the lad is going to be over the moon. Thanks again Iain C for the heads up on this!

matt_outandabout

Pics! 8)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I post some on Sunday when we hit the trails!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike question for an 11 year old’ is closed to new replies.