Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kids bike question
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m being serious here. Could I use my 14 inch Maxlight Phase5 frame to build up for my 9 year old son? The reach seems fine when I use 670mm risers with a 70mm stem. The top tube is a tiny 20.1 inch. I’ll have to cut down the expensive seat post but I’m ready to do that.

What’s putting me off or rather making me think is: the wheels are disproportionately big and will the Fox 140 talas RL work with only say 70lbs of pressure?

[/url] IMG_0439 by robsoctane, on Flickr[/img]

All opinions very welcome.

ianv
    Free Member

I would say it will be too big unless your son is massive. The reach may seem ok but I doubt if he will find it very manoeuvrable. At the very least, I would be looking at an in-line post and a very short stem, maybe 24″wheels as well.

On the plus side, the forks should work if they are floats. My son is 25kg and his UTurn revs are fine at low pressure.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks for that ianv. I was thinking that the wheels may be a problem. Thought they may be like 29ers for me. Lots say that 29ers aren’t as manoeuvre able as 26ers… Is this what you mean? Was thinking that a different seat post would actually save money!

matt_outandabout

Get him on it without saddle for a spin and see?

br
    Free Member

Based upon my 3 kids and the bikes they had, it’ll be far too big.

You’ll need 24″ wheels, short stem, narrower bars, short seatpost at a minimum – also check standover.

If its too big/heavy, he’ll just be put off.

robsoctane
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Get him on it without saddle for a spin and see?

[/url] image by robsoctane, on Flickr[/img]

Maybe this above will help – just taken. What’s the opinion? I’m willing to change the stem to 50mm.

djflexure

My lad was on a 13″ frame and 26″ wheels from that age. His sister has it now but I put 24″ wheels on it for her. If you drop the forks a bit then it would probably be OK.

scrappydog
    Free Member

Judging by the picture, it depends on whether you want to be a grand parent sometime in the future? 😆

The stand-over height doesn’t seem enough, particularly if you factor in the extreme slope of the top tube due to the forks, it’s less than nil if he stands infront of the saddle. Not confidence inspiring. If you binned the forks and put something shorter, then it might make the geometry too twitchy – again not confidence inspiring for him.

However, I think he is definitely tall enough to go onto 26 inch wheels. It really depends on why you want to go to larger wheels. My experience is that bigger wheels will be good if you are trying to do longer rides with him as they roll faster than 24s. (just as 29s roll faster than 26s). But if he is just doing shorter and more technical stuff, jumps, etc… he might be better staying with 24s.

PS. You don’t say how much riding he does / how competent he is on a bike? That will be a big factor.

Hope this helps,

Andy

ianv
    Free Member

Too big, I would say. He might be able to ride it but it is not likely to be a bike he could have fun on.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. @ Andy: he’s a good’n on 2 wheels full stop. He currently rides BMX 20 inch wheels. The BMX weighs a good 35lbs! I’ve just swapped the post from the BMX to the Phase5 and it seems he can get on it but may indeed need a shorter stem, going for a 50mm.

He’s already car park tested it and says it feels fine but I know what that means…

The forks are talas so if I drop them to 120mm then it may be fine? It does seem high at the front though, any other opinions please?

Lastly, he’ll be coming with me to local woods to mess around, about 15 mile loops.

br
    Free Member

Mate, its too big.

You need 24″ wheels and a smaller (shorter) frame, but tbh just look for a decent kids 24″ wheeled bike. Like this:

ianv
    Free Member

053 by ianvincent, on Flickr

Can he ride it round a car park? Yes, Would I let him ride it off road? No.

I’m with BR on this one, get a 24″ bike it will be much more fun for your lad and he will be able to do much more on it. If he rides a bmx he will no doubt like catching air etc and a bike that is too big will be a recipe for disaster.

robsoctane
    Free Member

BR: you really think its too big? Damn! Is it the top tube stand over? What’s the bike in the picture?

Maybe he might fit better next summer, enough to be safe I mean??

robsoctane
    Free Member

@ ivanr, you have a point… Is that bike a little stinky? He wants a ‘good bike’ like his dad. That would be great for him but I just thought that I could get away with using my smallest frame. I’m hardly using it now…

TiRed

Miles too big. My son rode a 12″ frame Kona Hula with 24″ wheels until he was about 11. Now he rides a 14″ Kona Blast.

Get a nice used Hotrock, Kona Hula, Trek 220… There are no bad choices n 24″ wheeled bikes. You’ll get two years out of it and lose about £50.

br
    Free Member

For going downhill:

For 4x and jumps:

And then add 26″ wheels (and a tall seat post in this photo as my eldest was riding it):

ianv
    Free Member

It’s my stinky, he rides a 24″ big hit grom. I don’t envisage him getting on to 26 ” wheels till he is 12 or so (unless he shoots up).

matt_outandabout

Looks too big IMO – smaller is good with bikes. We struggle with the ‘when to move up’ as bigger wheels roll better etc. Our 6 year old has two bikes at the moment – 20″ one on rough trails / mucking around and 24″ when we do a bigger ride.
    For comparison of good fits…
    Our tall 8 year old on 24″ wheels.

Comrie Croft pump jump track by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Short 10 year old on Islabikes 26″ – he got it at 9, and we thought it was unweildy then.

Grantown on Spey bike trails by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    The 8 year old has his next bike, but doesn’t yet feel comfortable on anything rough on it – it has much shorter forks compared to your pHase, but even then I have flipped the stem, saddle forward on rails etc..

Trek 4300 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike question’ is closed to new replies.