Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Kids 20" bikes – whats good – Cube? Islabikes?
  • blaggers
    Free Member

Need to get the next size up bike for my boy. He’s currently got a 16″ specialized hotrock with the backpedal rear brake.

I’m after a 20″ wheeled, two hand operated brakes, rigid forked, lightweight bike to fit a 6 year old boy with 24″ inseam. The Cube Team Kid 200’s look good, the islabikes have a good reputation, any other brands worth looking at?

timbur
    Free Member

Felt do a good cheap 20” kids bike. Check out the Evans sale pages.

binners

I’d recommend this

bike snobs look away now

Really good spec, compared with suitable equivalents from the ‘big’ manufacturers’, including a decent SRAM drivechain, Suntour SR forks that are preoperly damped and actually work. Proper kids sized compnents. Great frame geometry for the little un that is pretty light too. Its a ‘proper’ bike at a bit more than bike-shaped-object money.

My daughters got the somewhat pinker version and she loves it. I paid more than this for it. They’re on offer at the moment and a bargain at that price. Highly recommended

boxelder

Isla.. beinn 20 – can’t fault the one we got.

blaggers
    Free Member

Binners, any idea how heavy it is? I’d thought that I’d avoid suspension forks due to the extra weight, but that seems good value.

binners

Its not too heavy at all. I think you’d be in a similar ball park with any similar bike. Its a light alloy frame, not made of pig iron like some at that price point. My 7 year old managed an epic 16 miles on hers last month. So she certainly wasn’t struggling with the weight

I’d say its worth the slight extra weight of the suspension fork as its not some gimmicky add-on, they really are a decent set of forks. Takes the edge off her constantly bumping up and down kerbs.

Like I said: bargain at that price. Think I paid £230 for hers

Marmoset
    Free Member

Merida bikes seem to have a good range, my lad’s on a dakar 16″ at the moment and has all of what your looking for, albeit smaller wheels – there is a 20″ version of it out there…

brassneck

The Speccy Hotrock @ £250 RRP is my next port of call, suss forks but once they’re ready for 20″ wheels they’ll already be badgering you about shocks and no amount of patient explanation is going to cut it with a truculent 6 year old 🙂

Plus the Speccy looks mint, which is important – they like the bike, they ride it more.

AlexSimon

Islabikes Beinn 20 Large is spot on.

I would prefer a slightly lower gear range, but apparently you run into problems with mech length and/or it’s hard to find child’s chainsets smaller.

They hold their value incredibly well – look at past auctions on ebay for examples.

stevehine

+1 for Islabikes; had the young ‘un out on his beinn 20 last night; though the poor lad had his first OOTB experience and some gravel rash ….

skyhigh_71

+1 for Isla Bikes. They are worth the extra up front because resale value is so good

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 on the Spesh Hotrock. Thankfully didn’t pay RRP though!

crispy
    Free Member

+1 for the Spesh Hotrock.

Wish I had something that cool when I was 6.

GW
    Free Member

Suntour SR forks that are preoperly damped

Uh..huh!! 🙄

binners

Have yours been a bit bouncy when you’ve been hucking off your rabbit hutch then GW? Maybe they need a service. Or you need to maybe stop being so, you know, like TOTALLY AWESOME dude!

GW
    Free Member

Binners – before you go making a tit of yourself talking even more shite, having another tantrum or attempting to insult me I may actually have had a set of Suntour XCTs apart 😉 FWIW they are a heavy, basic fork with a simple coil spring and no lubricating oil never mind damping oil, the only “damping” you can feel is a combination of the weak spring and friction from the basic slider/seal assembly.

But as you say, they do work fairly well for 7yr old girls 😉

binners

so if they work, what’s your point caller?

GW
    Free Member

Point is you were talking complete and utter shite.

binners

In that case I defer to your vastly superior knowledge of budget 20″ suspension fork construction. The absence of detailed knowledge on subjects such as this are a constant source of disappointment to pretty much everyone who knows me

GW
    Free Member

you’re welcome 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

I bagged an old Giant for £30 off ebay. It is in great condition has rigid forks and decent enough gears, but it weighs a ton compared to her old Ridgeback.

At school theother day I picked up an Islabike Benin 20 Large and instantly had bike envy. It must be 8 pounds lighter!

My daughter likes cycling and I love seeing her ride and have fun and I’m seriously thinking that she deserves an upgrade to the Islabike.

I would consider a Specialized Rockhopper but they are heavier and I don’t see the point of such a basic ineffective suspension fork. Perhaps when she gets the next bike up and was really into mtb then yes.

Ridgeback make decent bikes and are top quality.

Its great to have the option of buying British and that they are the pick of the bunch.

WTF
    Free Member

boxelder – Member

Isla.. beinn 20 – can’t fault the one we got.

Likewise ,plus they do a buy back scheme.

lalazar
    Free Member

I bought my lad one of those Carreras last year and it’s been spot on. Gear need a bit of a tweak but otherwise nothing to report. We’ve regularly done 10 mile plus rides and he did the best part of a day with me at Swinley at Easter , so no weight or fork issues.I think you get a bit more off if you pay online.

blaggers
    Free Member

Can anyone weight their Carrera? It’s a 25 mile trip to the local halfords, so don’t want to waste a trip. His current bike is 9kg, and the halfords site says it might weigh 14.5 kg which is a bit high.
    Cheers

ji
    Free Member

Beinn 20 is excellent. My twins had 2 of the older versions that fell between the small/large they now do, and they lasted really well. Still got one for sale actually, plus a 24 that my daughter has grown out of. Boys are now on Beinn 26’s…

lalazar
    Free Member

Just had a do weighing the bike had to improvise with bathroom scale and a length of floorboard. All in Carrera was 11.1kg. I also weighed my daughters Hotrock 20″ using the same method and it was 13.1kg.

Hotrock felt heavier soon as I picked it up but its a few years older and is well built.

Hope that helps.

jeffl

My son had a 14″ isla bike.replaced it with the carrera mentioned above and lifting them both up to the weight difference was not huge. TBH the welds in the carrera are better than the isla bike. Some of the components aren’t as good and QR wheels would be good but the price difference isn’t warranted in my opinion.

Get one you won’t be disappointed.

DezB
    Free Member

This Haro I got my boy after a recommendation on here, is brilliant. I’d ordered a Viper from CRC, but they got the order wrong, so needed something else quick.
    That was 2 years ago and he’s still hammering it now. Great bike. Was about £150

mmannerr

I bought Cube for my son, it’s ok after few of updates but not great. I never thought I would write this but it really could use slacker headangle… :mrgreen:

jonk

My brother has one of these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-XTC-1-Jr-20w-2011-Kids-Bike_39493.htm

Really good quality and its quite light too but was expensive for a kits bike.

blaggers
    Free Member

Thanks lalazar, I think I’ll save a few quid and get that Carrera, I’m sure there’s a few old bits in the shed that can lighten that build a bit.

jonathan
    Free Member

Obviously it’s a cost consideration (and there’s definitely an Islabike premium), but it’s worth pointing out that an Islabike Beinn is sub-9kg (listed weight anyway), which was the decisive factor for me. I’d definitely recommend them, but there’s a pile of good value bikes to be had out there, especially if you’re prepare to “customise” a bit to cut weight, which is the main cost-based factor it seems.

They definitely don’t need sus fork at the age, it’s just a heavy thing that’ll stop working at some point. Rigid fork with fat(ish) tyres being rocked over all sort of lumpy stuff here with no problems…

Saul on one of about 100 laps of the Dalby pump track this morning 🙂 by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

sniff
    Free Member

+1 for the Carrera. Lots of bang for the buck. Has been flawless.

takisawa2

Had I not picked up a Beinn 20 (small) for £130, I’d have defineteley gone for the Carrera blast & ditched the sus fork. I picked a Carrera Blast up in Halfords last night (after reading this), & I’d say there was no more than a pound difference between my lads Beinn & the Carrera. I’ve put some Michellin Diabolo tyres on my lads, that are a good compromise in terms of tread, & were only £8 each from CRC.

TiRed

That Carrera looks a bargain. I had a Trek MT60 that was great, one of the first Aluminium framed bikes and very adjustable, but more money.

Modern smaller MTB’s have come a long way over the past ten years, I don’t think you can go wrong with any to be honest, Apollo aside.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Recently bought my 6 year old daughter,a Carrera Luna 20″ bike off ebay for £50.Its about a year or so old and has one or 2 scratches but rides really well.Very similar spec to the Boys Blast.

Recently bought an as new Claud Butler 20″ trade in for my gfs 6 year old,for £40 and thats great too.

I wouldn`t worry about getting a big name brand for a kid tbh.In a year or 2 you will be trading up to a 24″ bike anyway.They tend to trash bikes too,so just make sure you get a light aluminium frame and decent components.I reckon the kids Carreras are every bit as good as the Spesh Hotrock.

blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers all,
    Carrera is reserved ready for collection tonight. And I’ll save the £100 for his next bike.

binners

Nice one. I hope he enjoys it as much as my daughter enjoys her Carrera Luna. It really makes a difference having something they want to ride. Same as us grown-ups really 😀

She picked up the twist-grip gears really quickly and she’s off like a rocket. I’ve promised her a night ride soon. She’s hell bent on the idea

TiRed

Fit a stand or stock up on new grips. Kids like to drop their bikes! Son2’s Kona Hula has a double-legged Esge, which serves as a built in workstand. Never drops it though 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t bother ditching the sus forks. The Suntours on the Haro work just fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Kids 20" bikes – whats good – Cube? Islabikes?’ is closed to new replies.