Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • kiddie trailers and helmets
  • karnali
    Free Member

do folk have there children wear helmets when they are in the trailer?

we always have but he hates it and has now discovered how to take it off, so yesterdays ride was a stop start every 400metres to put it back on. the back of the trailer seems to push the helmet forwards when he is sat in it which i think is the mais source of the problem

just wondering what other folks do re helmets.

Stoner
    Free Member

IMO a waste of time as long as the harness keeps their head away from hard stuff in a roll over.

aracer
    Free Member

Agree with Stoner – mini-aracer has never worn a helmet in the trailer as I can’t see how his head could hit anything if he’s strapped in properly, and it seems it would push his head forwards, not only being uncomfortable, but also potentially damaging his neck. He’s very happy to wear a helmet to go out on his trike or Rothan though. I’ve even tested this out by tipping the trailer over in Haldon Forest 😳

karnali
    Free Member

stoner is that on road or off raod, most of our riding is on quiet roads

Stoner
    Free Member

Both on and off road.

Rolled him once in Morzine, he just laughed it off.

Much more important things to consider with a trailer such as a tail flag or visibility over car bonnets etc spray screen so dust/dirt and muck isnt thrown into Jr’s eyes. Comfort when tthey’re asleep so they dont loll too much unsupported. Padding under their bum if it’s cold, as well as a jacket – just like them on your back in a rucksack, you may bve toastie and warm from all the hard work but they can be freezing.

jonathan
    Free Member

Ours was too small for a helmet when he started in the trailer. They generally don’t match up well and push the head forward too much.

I have always preferred him to wear one on the rare occasions we ride on road those. Off-road I’m not bothered, he’s rolled a couple of times and been fine – very dependent on trailer and harness design though. It’s probably more an issue as they get bigger as they’ll be more likelihood of heads being able to impact trailer frame, and more weight being thrown around in the even of a roll.

He’s so used to wearing his helmet now (and seeing us wearing ours) that he insists on wearing it in the trailer – despite it being more comfy without, and it making it a pain in the arse to get the harness on and off!

aracer
    Free Member

I have always preferred him to wear one on the rare occasions we ride on road those.

I’m struggling to understand the logic here. What dangers are there on-road but not off which a helmet will protest him from?

antigee

What dangers are there on-road

being tail ended by 1000kg + of metal ?

my little un’s wore one when old enough – simply because wanted to instill idea that wearing a helmet when out cycling is a good idea* (*in my opinion)

yes i’ve rolled a trailer – it’s not that hard

jonathan
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand the logic here. What dangers are there on-road but not off which a helmet will protest him from?

being tail ended by 1000kg + of metal ?

Yep – that’s the one. I choose the risks when I’m pulling a trailer off-road, not some numpty in a car. And I’ve had some cars going amazingly close to the trailer, including one inches from rear-ending it when I was turning right. I have no idea if a helmet is actually likely to help with the energy invloved in a car hitting the trailer, but he’s still going to wear one 😉

antigee

don’t let me put anyone off though! generally i would say vehicles respond pretty well to a child trailer on the road – giving much more room

a mirror is handy
    also the points above about spray – also fitted those car window pull down sunblinds to reduce direct sun light

matt_outandabout

None of ours have worn helmets – for reasons already mentioned.

I half rolled trailer, but also tried to loose it down the hill on the last 1/4 mile of trail back to visitors centre at Nant Y Arian…the trail was a wee bit too narrow, with a nice hillside to slide down 😳 cue me holding bike n trailer and walking it. Our lot have also done Sherwood pines jump park in the trailer 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I have no idea if a helmet is actually likely to help with the energy invloved in a car hitting the trailer

I reckon I have a reasonable idea how much use a helmet would be in any situation where a car managed to destroy the trailer enough that the helmet would come into play, hence the question.

Don’t seem to have any problem getting mine to wear a helmet when he goes out on his own – if anything I used to have a problem getting him not to put mine on, as he saw me wearing it whenever I was riding! I’d imagine he sees sitting on the bike as a totally different activity to sitting in a trailer. I just can’t see any benefits to a helmet in a trailer to offset the disadvantages (99+% of my trailer use is on the road).

jonathan
    Free Member

I just can’t see any benefits to a helmet in a trailer to offset the disadvantages (99+% of my trailer use is on the road).

Aaah… a classic “YMMV” situation then, as 99+% of my trailer use is off-road (and on the road usually means a busy rural A-road with impatient holiday traffic on it who don’t like bikes slowing them down on the way to their pub lunch).

What’s most important is that they are comfy and enjoy it (with a reasonable degree of safety). He certainly gets pulled on the road without a helmet on (inc touring in Belgium), it’s just that the usual roads we go on just make me wish he was wearing one. And yes – trailer destroying impacts weren’t really what I was thinking of, but any car impact, even quite “gentle”, is likely to impart a lot more energry to the trailer that virtually any “not involving a large moving lump of metal” accident off-road.

Also I’m having to tell him to take his helmet off in the trailer as he’ll be more comfy, rather than having to get him to put it on. And the helmet’s usually coming along anyway as his bike is often strapped to the back of the trailer!

aracer
    Free Member

And yes – trailer destroying impacts weren’t really what I was thinking of, but any car impact, even quite “gentle”, is likely to impart a lot more energry to the trailer that virtually any “not involving a large moving lump of metal” accident off-road.

But anything other than a trailer destroying impact shouldn’t result in him bumping his head, given the 5 point harness holding him in place, and the metal rollcage.

Should point out I’m not saying you’re wrong to do what you do – that’s entirely up to you, in the same way I’d always wear a helmet on a bike, but support the right of others to ride without one – just wondering whether it’s rational.

jonathan
    Free Member

But anything other than a trailer destroying impact shouldn’t result in him bumping his head, given the 5 point harness holding him in place, and the metal rollcage.

It’s banging his head on the metal roll-cage that I’m worried about. Without actually crash testing the trailer 😉 I would think that a car could very easily impart energy to throw a child about enough to get his head to hit the frame, five point harness or not. And there’s the chance of deforming the frame in towards the child as well. Could be s low speed impact, or a higher speed clip or glancing blow. Neither scenario is a destroying/flattening trailer accident, but definitely have more risks than when not on the road. It’s not empirical, but it’s not irrational 😉

It’s just a (improvised) risk assessment thing (based on lots of different factors – where, when, weather, etc), and sometimes on road I’m happier with him wearing a helmet than not. But most often I’m happier with not!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘kiddie trailers and helmets’ is closed to new replies.