Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • kid seat fittings on mtb – advice pls
  • towzer

Hi

after info about putting a kid seat on front suspension mtb, esp any good/bad and also ‘didn’t fit’ type experiences – bike in question will be about a 15″ ladies mtb(as yet to be bought- as is the kid seat), I’m noticing in the bigger wheel sizes ladies mtb the top tube can be pretty curvy and the rear frame tube/post tube can be pretty backwards facing, as I understand it seat fittings as are:
    – rear seat – block goes on frame seatpost tube and can pop seat in and out
    – front seat – extra bar goes from headtube to seatpost and seat sits on that

also for family trails/park bimbling/sustrans for a non regular cyclist I’m thinking a rear seat might be less hassle/easier

hints and tips please
    thanks

edit – anybody had a seat on a 15″ myka 26″

downshep

Hamax / Halfords rear seats that use the sturdy qr bracket bolted to the seat tube are certainly very convenient but not perfect. Things to look out for are cable bosses on the seat tube (above front mech) or rack bosses on the seat stays that may foul the bracket or seat rails. Knee clearance from the bracket itself may be an issue. A small frame may even have crank clearance problems. Best to try before you buy. I’ve got one in the loft if you’re in the Glasgow area and need to try one.

Stability suffers if the seat is fitted high up or if the child is at the upper end of the weight range. I used one for years without mishap but they can be a bit top heavy when moving off or manoeuvring slowly around sustrans gates etc.

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

Another really good experience with Hamax type and if you struggle they even do different mounting arms for the angles to be right, can be tricky to get but possible. Don’t think you will have an issue but above poster makes good point about derailleur mounts, I found I used to have to install bracket carefully to get mount in the gap in the fitting.

James

ratadog

Tried a variety over the course of 2 kids. Seats in front of the adult gave little support and generally got in the way. We didn’t find one that worked in any useful way.

Hamax were fine if the bike would take the adapter, although the adapter was heavy and the points made above about derailleur mounts etc. all apply. Also tended to flex on its supports which protected child but was a bit disconcerting until you got used to it. Wouldn’t fit on an XS womens MTB frame, although don’t think you will have any problem with a 15 inch.

As a result we went for a CoPilot Lima which sat on a Blackburn rear rack and was probably the best of the bunch if I am being honest. They are still around and Topeak make a similar set up as well. Only issue is making sure that your bike has rack mounts and there is no clash with disc brake position.

VanHalen

get a weeride or similar. exllent bits of kit and the kid actually gets to see whats going on.

rear ones are a bit crap i found. also with an alloy frame i was worried about crushing teh seat tube getting the mounting bracket tight enough not to move. it certainly prevented me moving the seatpost once on and tightened up.

mark90
    Free Member

I couldn’t fit a hamax seat on my 15.5 Prince Albert as the mech cable boss limited the placement of the bracket and the arms on the seat that slot in the bracket fouled on the seat stays as they where too wide at the point they crossed. That seat is now fitted to my old hack bike. The wee-ride seat fits on the Prince Albert fine. I’d be wary of fitting the hamax seat to light alloy frames in case of seat tube cracking. Also best to have plenty of seat post in the seat tube where the bracket clamps on.

lardman
    Free Member

I used a Hamax Siesta and found it to be great. A little spring in it, to isolate the bumps. Easy on and off.
    You can fit them to the seatpost too, if they dont fit on the frame.

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got a wee ride (front mount seat). The front clamp struggles to fit around the head tube on my MTB, you do have to ride a bit bow legged to avoid bashing your knees, and you can’t get off the front of the seat when you stop.

On the other hand, it’s great to have the kids in front of you so that you can talk to them easily, and they can see better. I took both of our little ones round the blue at Whinlatter a little while ago, and they absolutely loved it. Great to have them right in front of you so you can make sure they really are enjoying it and they can see the bumps coming up.

For fun rides I’d definitely look at front mount. For transport, I’d probably look at a rear seat.

chowsh
    Free Member

We used a Topeak Babysitter which fits on a rear rack. Very sturdy and has a bit of suspension built in. Fits to most bikes with rack mounts.
    Got one for sale, if interested email me. Have seat and various racks, welcome to have a look if anywhere near Witney/Faringdon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘kid seat fittings on mtb – advice pls’ is closed to new replies.