Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kickstarter projects… anyone backed anything?
  • steveoath
    Free Member

I’ve backed a couple of “bikey” projects (lights and commuter friendly work trouser). But stumbled on this monstrosity today.

Bicymple.

Hmm.

Anyone backed anything?

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZ65pUQxyQ[/video]

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I backed that pebble watch thing. Still waiting though.

Spud

Yep, twice now. Rob Lee’s book and the Reveal the Path film. Both good IMO.

deadkenny
    Free Member

My view is – if serious investors think their project is not worth investing in, is there a good reason why they think so?

Can you prove the money isn’t just going to be pissed up down the pub while they think about what they’re going to do but never do it?

Or they spend ages knocking up sexy promos but no working content like Elite: Dangerous. “Hey, my business is going down the pan, but remember how cool Elite was as a kid? Now give me £1m”.

From experience in the software industry, no investor will give you money on the basis of just an idea and a promise. Kickstarter is a donation service convincing people to part with money based on nostalgia or desire by fans yet may promise nothing.

Northwind

Haven’t done kickstarter but I’ve done a couple of Pledgemusic things, which were pretty cool. Similiar crowdfunding idea but for music (obviously!).

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve often wanted to put some of my own art on kickstart. I think I will next week and see how it goes.

jackthedog
    Free Member

My view is – if serious investors think their project is not worth investing in, is there a good reason why they think so?

Kickstarter can provide a platform for those who might have a good idea that isn’t necessarily commercially viable. Commercial viability and good ideas aren’t mutually inclusive. Some ideas deserve to be realised even if they aren’t going to be profitable.

It’s unfortunate that we seldom appreciate the difference between value and cost, and sad that we now seem capable of measuring worth only in terms of monetary return it might yield. Kickstarter should exist for the (quite large) area where idea and profit don’t align. Unfortunately, like many other aspects of our modern lives, the majority of the noise seems to come from those trying to use it a shortcut to getting rich.

adi66
    Free Member

Not put any money down, but I really want a set of “Revo Lights” they where a Kick starter project i followed for a while.

REVOLIGHTS

andrewh
    Free Member

That Dragon’s Den off of the telly has turned down quite a few things which have gone on to be successful (and many many more which haven’t. No idea how you tell which is which. Obviously, or I’d be very rich.)

TPTcruiser

I got Ms TPT a Versalette, multifunction clothing item. A bit like a Buff but as a top. There was some slippage in the delivery times but a nice product when it arrived.
    Maybe one day she’ll find an appropriate event to wear it 😕

The follow up for the project seems to have fizzled out: they got the funding for the item, produced it and sold out but didn’t then make a new range or add new colours or finesse the design. May have been burnt by the experience?

fourbanger
    Free Member

What’s the deal with Kickstarter? You have an idea, ask for money and people just give it to you? Is there any contract to pay it back or spend it on what you say? Thats the only thing that’s put me off so far, ignorance.

bigblackshed

I’ve backed a board game on Kickstarter. It was supposed to be delivered in November. It is now finally on a very slow boat from China.

I’m not sure on the legal side of things. The one I backed has been produced by some reputable people within the table top games industry. As for some of the “ideas” I’ve seen on Kickstarter, some of them are plain bonkers and others are so flimsy an idea it might as well say “pledge some money so I can go to the pub”.

Blackhound

Like Spud I backed Rob Dean’s book ‘Endurance Within’ and the Reveal The Path movie.

It may have been a risk but not that much, can’t remember but maybe £50 for both, and happy enough with how it turned out. Got a nice signed book from Rob and dvd/cd from RTP.

I had seen Mike Dion filming in Banff in 2011 and he had previous with the Ride The Divide film so was fairly confident it would be ok. Rob? he could have been a charlaton but turned out he isn’t;-)

I suppose it is a bit of a gamble, I would only send money I was prepared to lose. And only something I was interested in.

andytherocketeer

What’s the deal with Kickstarter? You have an idea, ask for money and people just give it to you? Is there any contract to pay it back or spend it on what you say

Only looked at one project so far, so don’t know haow all the random other ones work.
    Basically there’s lots of different “pledge” levels. It’s likely that one of these gives you a copy of the final product at the end, for a reasonable or acceptable pledge. Might be like buying the product now for half or maybe expected retail price, and you’ll get it in 18 months time. If they don’t get enough pledges, it doesn’t get made, and you pay nothing.
    No clue how much Kickstarter (etc.) take as a cut though? Obviosuly it must be more than enough to cover all the credit card / paypal fees plus admin, but I guess it’s less than Apple/Amazon etc. 30% cut?

DaveRambo

I’ve backed my first one recently – an updated multi-player version of Elite.
    Was the first game that really made me think WOW on the old BBC micro.

Kickstarter is good for this sort of project I think – Normal publishing companies don’t want to take the risk so several thousand people backing it shows there is a demand/market.
    I think it reached it’s funding goal today.

Elite Dangerous

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I backed the Star Citizen game recently as it looks like a proper project that will be delivered, was put off Elite:Dangerous by Brabens previous issues with delivery sadly.

and oh my word that Bicymple thing looks terrible

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kickstarter projects… anyone backed anything?’ is closed to new replies.