Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Kickstarter: neat cable guides.
  • jam-bo

looks neat, i’ve backed it. thought it might appeal to some here.

Kahurangi

More obtrusive than a simple zip-tie 😕

Though it does hold the cable of the frame (in the proximity of the guide).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t/didn’t I’D make something very much like this under their problem solver line? Seem to remember people using them when switching from canti to v brakes.

JoeG
    Free Member

Don’t/didn’t I’D make something very much like this under their problem solver line? Seem to remember people using them when switching from canti to v brakes.

They still do – Problem Solvers Backstop But they are a cable stop; the outer enters on one side and bare wire runs out the other side. They work great, but as they clamp on the frame, they can damage the paint. I guess that you could drill it out to run full length outer…

Edit – and they are only made for round tubes of certain sizes, so not very flexible in this day and age of hydroformed aluminum and molded carbon!

Edit 2 – the cobra tie looks very useful on bikes!

IHN

How can that possibly have start up costs of $21000? And they’re ugly, so aahm oot, as Duncan would say.

breadcrumb

Think I’ll stick with cable ties. Doesn’t look any neater to me.

wwaswas

I’ve always found these double ties good for anchoring cables and stuff. Less faff than using two ties together and neater finish.

bruneep

Expensive solution to Zip tie and washer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Once it was clear a solution was needed, the design process began, which was essentially a cycle from CAD, to the 3D printer, and out to the trail. Since the University of Nevada, Reno offers at cost FDM 3D printing for students and faculty, it allowed me to make a ton of prototypes without breaking the bank.

And this is why I wont be investing, if they do make something that works they will be coming onto ebay for pence from china or getting thrown out of a 3d printer somewhere, Good idea not sound business

PhilO
    Free Member

How can that possibly have start up costs of $21000?

Ever seen the cost of injection mould tooling?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Wwaswas’s image of the double cable tie does the same job for less money and more discretely than the kickstarter project.

Frankers
    Free Member

Yep $21k is the cost for the tooling.

Very simple but great idea, though as above could be copied and churned out cheaply by the Chinese

woody74

Im just about to get some tooling for injection moulding and I can certainly tell you it won’t be costing anywhere like $21K. $10K should easily cover that by a long shot

woody74

I should be fair, as its a great idea of keeping thing tidy. I think there pricing is just massive. I would say $3000 for tooling and then $0.20 per part. But then again if people are willing to pay for it, then good on them for making money. That is what all businesses are there for.

sssimon
    Free Member

surely rockshox and a load of other companies are already using the same idea?

the cobra tie looks like something I need to invest in a box of though

Big-M
    Free Member

always mounted cables & hoses with a single cable tie and a small 5mm or so length of rubber hose.

Cut a 5mm length of thin rubber hose (diameter of hose = width of cable tie) Push the tongue of the cable tie through the hose, wrap the tie round the cable/brake line, push the tongue back through the rubber hose, then use cable tie in usual fashion round the frame tube, fork leg etc…

Keeps the cable/hose away from your frame or fork and also provides a flexible mount should the cable/hose snag on anything…

stumpy01

I like it as a solution, until I saw the price!

I’d be more interested in it if they made multiple cable versions; so the same design but able to hold 1, 2 or 3 cables.
    You could then use one of these to secure your front mech, rear mech and rear brake hose in one clamp.

Another thing – he/they moan about the classic zip tie scratching a bike frame, but seeing as this leaves the zip tie exposed against the frame too, it doesn’t really solve that problem.
    They describe it as a durable rubber, so if they had added longer sections to the end that could be trimmed you could wrap that round the tube & cut it to length before securing the zip tie. This would act as a cushion between the frame and the tie, as well as improving the grip to the frame and stopping them shifting about.

D0NK

A2Z and a couple of others are doing something kinda similar. My current bugbear is bolt on guides, don’t like how they work and won’t someone think of the weight of all those bolts? My old heckler (presumably other frames/manu’s have them) had slotted cable stops which also had zip tie cutouts and were grooved at the sides so you could run full length or normal cable and there’s space to route your dropper post. See here. Genius!

surely rockshox and a load of other companies are already using the same idea?

I made some of those guides out of zip ties and old polymer shock bushes, bit agricultural but worked (had a dropper post on loan)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And this is why I wont be investing, if they do make something that works they will be coming onto ebay for pence from china or getting thrown out of a 3d printer somewhere, Good idea not sound business

I agree. And $8 per couple is very expensive for a zip-tie replacement.

cookeaa

I think that’s part of the problem with kickstarter, it maybe encourages students to start wracking their brains for a kickstarter project rather than actually try and design something that meets an actual need.

Its a pretty lame proposition TBH.

And $21k for tooling? O’d go looking for another quote.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Kickstarter: neat cable guides.’ is closed to new replies.