Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • KIA Sedona – any good?
  • Nomad
    Free Member

Has anyone got experience of this car? Specifically the 2.9 diesel.
    I’m looking for a big people carrier and they appear good value.

What are they like to own?

Cheers in advance

N

Bear
    Free Member

Big! Just got a second hand one, had it for about a month and so far pleased with it. Very roomy, hopefully will cope with camping trips for 6!

takisawa2

Thirsty apparently. But good at what they do.

mboy
    Free Member

PePPeR off here has had one for about 7 years now, he’s got some mixed experiences, many good, some rather costly.

I’ll give him a nod to get on here and post his opinions, but I know it has cost him BIG bucks when the Lucas Fuel pump died as did a couple of the fuel injectors. And when I say big, I don’t mean a few hundred quid… More like thousands!

PePPeR

Hi, yeah I have a Kia Sedona, its an ok car, not then end of the world, but if I got rid of it, the kids would kill me!

Mboy isn’t quite right, my fuel pump has not gone, but it is an issue that can happen on these cars, my problem came when I got an independent garage to change my cam belt and 1500 miles later it snapped and caused extensive damage to the valves and two injectors, it cost me about €2600 to get it fixed as a comparison in the same month my wifes 1.2 Twingo had the same thing happen which I could fix myself as it wasn’t stuck in Western France, and that cost me £400 and it actually damaged more valves than the Kia did.

If I’d been able to repair the Kia myself it would have been about £1000 as I’d have been able to get second hand injectors etc in the UK.

The car is a big spacious family vehicle it doesn’t have the more modern folding seating arrangements that the newer cars have but it’s a pretty handy car, I get about 28Mpg locally and about 32-34 on a run.

I service it myself and tend to get genuine filters from Ebay cheaply and apart from the cam belt issue it’s not been costly to run at all.

If it’s an older model check for rust on the sills as I’ve seen some that have needed welding, mine is regularly waxoyled as I work on a farm and we tend to try and maintain the vehicles with waxoyl all at the same time as they tend to be coated in mud for half the year!

Oh and watch out for the rear heater water pipes rusting out, even mine went and I’ve known cars to be written off when they run them low on water due to the silly heater hoses rusting out, mine have been replaces with flexible pipework along the total length 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Great car, i have the newer one. Get 30-34mpg up to 40mpg ona decent run but thats taking it easy, once you get over 65 the mpg falls dramatically.

Very nice inside, wears well too, we use ours for childminding and it still looks good after 5 years.

It is heavy so can chew through brakes.

We will deffo get another probably a couple of years, only thing i wouyld say is i will be going for the auto, it probably suits the car better.

restless
    Free Member

I have an 05 2.9 diesel Kia Sedona. It’s massive inside, all individual seats. mine are the older 2 2 3 configuration which i prefer.
    The boot is small though (but does fit a pushchair in it) and when we go camping I use a trailer. But, I do have a huge tent and 3 kids and a pushchair, so need a lot of stuff.

The rear heater pipes went on mine last winter and i am lucky that i didn’t knacker the car after driving it round for so long with hardly any water in it becuase it kept leaking out.

I find it more expensive for repairs than other cars i have owned.
    for example the air con radiator has a hole in it and my local garage said it costs nearly £400 for new one, then more to fit it etc 😯
    so it hasnt been fixed.

I bought it solely because it has 7 seats and was cheaper than a ford galaxy . If i could have afforded a Ford i probably would have as their parts are cheaper.

PePPeR

restless the Kia Sedona isn’t “that” expensive to repair if you know where to look.

I luckily bought a new genuine Kia Sedona air con rad from ebay for £50, but you can buy a pattern part one from here for not too much more.

http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/Car-Air-Conditioning-Condenser-(aircon-radiator)-for-Kia-SEDONA-2.9-Crdi-Diesel-Man/Auto-from-Mar-99-to-May-06-Part-16-1175.html

They also do the desiccator which you’ll need if you’ve not had the air con working for a long time for about £50 too!

Their service was excellent when I last used them and I fitted the rad and desiccator in 45 minutes then dropped it down to Kwik Fit to be recharged for £40.

All in the repair cost me £130 which to get the air con back sorted was brilliant!

I can’t email you direct as you have no contact details in your profile to tell you this directly, so my apologies for kidnapping the thread a little.

restless
    Free Member

wow! you got yours a lot cheaper than my quote! So it is possible at least. That gives me some hope 🙂

Thanks for the details too, I will have to look into it further. As I am sure you know, the car is unbearable with no air con as the rear door windows don’t open , well not on my model anyway.

I would have no idea how to fit anything myself, I can just about manage to top up the water nowadays and thats about it 😳
    But, I will definately try and get it done now I know it can be 🙂

I have also used Kwik fit in the past for re-gassing and I would recommend them too.

PePPeR

Hi I’m glad to help, ours has the electric opening rear windows but even they don’t help in the middle of summer!

stavromuller
    Free Member

It’s basically cheaper Chrysler Voyager and when I got the chance of a year old Voyager with 6.7k miles on the clock for £13.5k (full leather, split climate control, automatic, cruise control, trip computer, etc.) no contest.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Thats it in a nutshell, cheaper that the Voyager.

Its better made and more reliable and drives better. But cheaper.

The Sedona is slightly smaller, the GV is quite stupid in size.

I do like the 2,2,3 set up of the GV. Easier access to the rear seats.

Flaperon

Brakes are appalling. I remember sliding right through a hidden junction in one on a dry summer’s day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘KIA Sedona – any good?’ is closed to new replies.