• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 'keyless' car – range without fob ?
  • iainc

Dropped wife off at a shop and no parking spaces outside, so drove about 20m up road and turned into a wee car park, another 10 or so metres and into a space. Got out the car with the kids, to go to the shop and realised that I couldn’t lock the car as wife had the keyless fob in her pocket 😳

Wonder how far I’d have got before it cut out ? Surprised it got as far as it did though..

scotroutes

I think ours will keep going indefinitely (well, until the fuel runs out). I can see that this could lead to a problem or two.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My mate got as far as the m25 having left his Renault Clio key in his jeans in the office near warwick then realised he needed fuel, but couldn’t turn the engine off to refuel …..

iainc

Jeez, a bit of a design flaw by the sounds of it 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

How did it turn out?

Drac

How could he not turn it off they use push button?

Jamie
    Free Member

How did it turn out?

He had to improvise.

Liftman

Cause he wouldn’t be able to start it again

aracer
    Free Member

Glad I asked 😀

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

All keyless entry / start stuff will warn you when the transponder is leaving the vehicle and if ignored will happily drive until you run out of fuel or try to turn it or where you will be asked to long press (3 seconds) to conferm you understand it won’t start again when switched off!!!

michaelbowden

They will continue to run until you turn it off/run out of fuel. But won’t restart.

Has to be this way, you don’t want to get ‘out of range’ in the fast lane and have the car designed to cut out.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Don’t think manufacturers are allowed to cut the cars out.

It should bring up a message saying the key is out of range or something.

matt_outandabout

When these first came out, my friends across the road had to hide their Megane key in the furthest cupboard in the kitchen, or the car outside their terrace house front window would be unlocked and could be started….

iainc

I know that if its in my pocket and I get out and go round to the boot there is a warning signal. Didn’t happen today tho… Only difference being that the car wasn’t stationary.

jam-bo

My mates a bit OCD with checking doors are locked and stuff. Had to change his car as he couldn’t cope with the whole keyless thing.

aracer
    Free Member

Nobody seems to have picked up on this – surely it would lock when you got out and shut the doors, or have I misunderstood how these things work?

iainc

Aracer – kids got out and shut back doors, I got out and hesitated in a ‘what if’ moment and didn’t shut door. Engine was off though (auto start stop thing) . I sent the eldest round to the shop to get key from his mum. Didn’t try and restart as car was in a parking space but wish I had – no warnings before stopping engine either

scotroutes

Not ours.

aracer
    Free Member

If the plan was to lock the car and join wife in shop, why not? If it locks you’ve achieved the aim, if not, then you’re no worse off than you were.

falkirk-mark

Yes thats progress for you,give me a car with a proper key and proper handbrake anyday.

aP
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you dropped your wife off and then drove 20m up the road to park.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you dropped your wife off and then drove 20m up the road to park.

That’s ok, you don’t need to 😉

iainc

nealglover – Member

That’s ok, you don’t need to

‘cos she was going in to pick up a drum kit for our youngest, and I didnt know if I would get parked round the corner, or further away, and the guy at the shop was waiting for her before closing 8)

ninfan
    Free Member

Surprised that this hasn’t turned into the latest trick for garage forecourt theft yet 😯

DezB
    Free Member

I once left the car running on the drive as I nipped back in the house to grab something. Jumped back in the car and drove away… had left the keys in the house!
    When i got to where I was going … “Where are the keys??”

Can’t for the life of me remember how I resolved it, but I’ve never left the car running again!

scotroutes

ninfan – how would that work then? Our car won’t start unless the fob is in very close proximity.

iainc

I think the security thing is ok, as car won’t start unless key nearby (on mine within about 3m). The fact that once it’s started it doesn’t need the fob anywhere near it concerns me though 😥

CaptainSlow

Mine boings if the key leaves the car with the ignition on. You can’t not know the key is no longer there.

iainc

CaptainSlow – Member
    Mine boings if the key leaves the car with the ignition on. You can’t not know the key is no longer there.

Mine does that if car is stationary, key in my pocket and I get out. There is also a warning message on the info screen.

As I found out, this is not the case when you drive off straightaway after the person with the key in their pocket gets out..

DezB
    Free Member

Mine’s got boings for everybloodything else!

CaptainSlow

What car do you have? It’s only happened once and I got about 3 car lengths iirc.

DezB
    Free Member

’07 Mondeo

iainc

2013 BMW 520d

CaptainSlow

Very odd – I’ll give it a go in mine (f25)

garage-dweller

Our old megane could be unlocked and started if you left the key on the house windowsill. Handy for shuffling cars in the morning but less good for security!

I am quite ocd about car locking but never worried about the methane for some reason(?!).

acehtn
    Free Member

Top gear did it in America, Clarkson moved Hammonds keyless car while he sat in the diner.

Do the new cars come with a small lead box to store the key in. Would that block the signal and thus allow the car to lock itself on the driveway of your house.

scotroutes

As I said above – our has to be within a metre or so of the car for it to be used. That should be close enough for even the shortest driveway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mazda 6, you have to be in the car for it to start. Get out the car with the key whilst its running and it will keep going until you stall it/switch it off, however on getting out the car beeps at you from outside to let you know you’ve got the key.

Drac

Top gear did it in America, Clarkson moved Hammonds keyless car while he sat in the diner.

Who wants to tell him?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘'keyless' car – range without fob ?’ is closed to new replies.