Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Keswick camping.
  • lowey

After going to Coniston for the last 4 years for our lads biking and beer weekend in June, we have decided to go to Keswick this year.

Other than Castlerigg, Lanefoot and Scotgate, does anyone know of any campsites, no matter how basic that will accept groups in and around Keswick ?

Cheers all!!

martinhutch

Stonethwaite?

Cheap as chips, no showers, but it has a pub next door, and is handily placed for flogging yourself half to death on the Langstrath.

I think the farmer allows groups, provided you’re not going to make everyone else’s life a misery with noise.

Dale Bottom – a bit further on the Thirlmere road also seemed suitable for small groups when I stayed a few years back. It was quite noisy on this particular BH weekend.

http://www.dalebottomfarm.co.uk/tents.htm

lowey

Cheers Martin,

Dale Bottom looks spot on. I did think of Stonethwaite, but could do with at least some washing facilities, plus thats a just a bit too far out for a night out round Keswick on the ale.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but I looked at the campsite in Crow park for a weekend just for me and my wife. £50 for 2 nights in a small tent, has camping got more expensive or am I looking at the wrong sites?

martinhutch

You might want to double check about the groups thing at Dale Bottom though.

ElShalimo

Burns Farm, nr Threlkeld probably 3 miles east of Keswick
    Stayed there in a group – they shove groups in a muddy field away from the families

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

There is a campsite off the A66 as you head to Whilatter from Keswick (Braithwaite). It’s always full of camper vans and motor homes. They own another site across the road back toward Keswick called Braithwaite Bridges I think. Group of 6 of us with 2 dogs, 2 camper vans with tents and stayed there about 18 months ago. Good showers, great views, 10mins walk to Keswick, 25mins ride to Whinlatter.. Only three groups in two massive fields, despite the other site having no space. This was mid June as well!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Lowey – if you want to wild camp, we’ll hose you and the lads down with Stoney’s pressure washer for £10 a pop 🙂

I’d second Martin’s comment on checking with Dale Bottom Farm to see if they take groups camping – it’s quite a small site with mostly caravans.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Burns Farm, nr Threlkeld probably 3 miles east of Keswick

+1 Burns is probably worth a look – it’s easier to get to than it maybe looks on paper; there are a couple of quick ways by bike via the railway line. Not so close if you’re walking to the pub…it would be better to walk into Threlkeld (maybe about 20 minutes), and both pubs do excellent food and ale.

Cammer
    Free Member

I’ve been to Dale Bottom (!) with my non-biking friends a couple of times in the last few years for hiking and drinking weekends.

They have always accepted groups no bother, I think it’s well known as the campsite in that area to go to if you’re in a group, and don’t mind a bit of noise! They open up another field if it’s a busy weekend.

Only basic facilities and a bit of a trek to Keswick and the nearest pub, but there is a bus stop right outside the site.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

One to avoid Dave – Castlerigg Farm is a quick off-road walk in and out of town – however, I’ve just been informed they won’t accept advanced bookings from campers during high season and aren’t too keen on large groups.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hollows Farm, Grange is pretty good for Whinlatter/Borrowdale Bash etc, we’ve used it because they allow campfires in the far field, or they used to! It’s fairly quiet and secluded, there’s a couple of fields to choose from. I can’t recall where the nearest pub is, we’ve usually taken beers and sat around chin wagging.

lowey

Thanks for all your help guys, Booked in with Burns Farm… £50 cash noise deposit which seemed pretty reasonable really for a group of 9 lads.

Looks nice site, good facilities and just of the railway which we can use to cycle to Keswick for pubs!

Paul, Tell Stoney to pack his jetwash… I’ll happily pay to be hosed down by such a fine figure of a man.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Hahah careful – he might get out the wire brush 🙁

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Good spot to do a ‘Stick Pass and back along the coach road’ route from too – and for getting lost on Blencathra 😉

martinhutch

Not to mention all the back of Skiddaw stuff.

Horse and Farrier is a decent pub in Thelkeld with good grub.

lowey

and for getting lost on Blencathra

There will be multiple “navigational errors” on this holiday, uppermost being getting lost coming off Skiddaw 😉

stoney
    Free Member

I’ll happily pay to be hosed down by such a fine figure of a man 😯

Its been a while since i used the wire brush…..I`ll have to try and find it 😆

Give us a shout when you come and we`ll show you the way off Skiddaw 😉 😉 8)

ChrisE
    Free Member

Just pitch on Boxelders lawn. He won’t mind and Mrs Boxelder won’t mind you muddying up the showers.

C

clareymorris

What dates are you up Lowey – would be great to join in for a ride and at lease one beer!!! A couple of us are girls though, is that allowed on this lads weekend?!?!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

burns farm is top and you can walk past stone circle into town in half hour for beers

it was my first time in lakes last year and would defo stay there again.

has views of 4th highest peak or so as well

lowey

Clare, we are up on the 7th till the 10th June, think I’m going to stay till the 11th though and get Sunday in too.

At least one if not more of the nights will be spent trawling the real ale purveyors of Keswick!

Be nice to catch up. Do you lot not fancy coming on the brewery / turbine ride that Graham has organised ?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brewery-ride-ramsbottom

crispo
    Free Member

Has Keswick got some good pubs!?

Not meaning to Hi-jack but myself and 4 mates were looking to head up in February, ride whinlatter one day, Borrowdale the next and stay at the youth hostel for the night. Was just wondering if theres a few good places for some grub and an Ale or two.

velocipede
    Free Member

Dog & Gun in the centre of Keswick – Old Peculier on tap and the food is excellent – gets my vote for “Best Pub in the World”!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Do you lot not fancy coming on the brewery / turbine ride that Graham has organised ?

I might be in Bury that weekend (visiting parents) – will drop you an email if I can get a pass out Dave !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Keswick camping.’ is closed to new replies.