Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kenisis Virtue or on-one 456?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

£314/£262 depending on what size I get, much better looking IMO.

or

£160 looks cack but probably similar weight to the Virtue and similar geometry…

What would you get and why?

satsoma
    Free Member

If I were you, I'd take your girlfriend on holiday to Morocco instead 😉

poppa
    Free Member

The Virtue is designed for shorter forks than the 456 if I remember correctly?!? I think you have summed it up though, cheap industrial looking frame or more expensive nice looking frame. Up to you.

soma_rich
    Free Member

the virtue will take 130mm forks and thats all I would run on the 456..

£150 is quite a bit just for a nice paint job.

Stuff Morocco your be lucky to go to Bognor at this rate!

poppa
    Free Member

From reading this review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/decade-virtue-09-34708

I got the impression that it feels more at home with shorter forks than the 456, i.e. 3-4-5" rather than 4-5-6", but its warrantied for 130mm.

james
    Free Member

Have you considered an on-one inbred (not an inbred 456). They'll take 130mm forks but be lighter than a 456

I was suprised to see the large frame virtue wieghs in at 5.5lbs. Though virtually nobody else pubslishes weights other than small or medium frames so maybe I shouldn't have been

Also consider a dialled bikes prince albert. £240 (I think), 5.2lbs, designed for 120-140mm forks so should 'work' better than the kinesis with your 130mm fork. The head angle on the kinesis is a little steep compared too. Wierdly they've specced a 71deg HA on the large, and a 70.5 on the Medum and small sizes?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have had an Inbred before and fancied something differant.
    I have definatly been considering a Prince Albert…

poppa
    Free Member

I might be wrong, but I think that:

PA/456 = slightly more rufty tufty, mid life-crisis
    Virtue = old-skool JRA

I also think that an awful lot of people don't need more than 100mm travel hardtail, including me. I had this revelation after doing my local loop with 85mm of travel, and not noticing too much difference. Unfortunately I had already ordered my 456 and 130mm fork…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those Virtue frames are lush! I've seen one built up as a fast XC machine with white bits and it was a stonker, and an LBS has one up on the wall. Lovely frames!

It has to be said that at this price, if I was buying right now, the new 853 Pipedream would be top of my list! 🙂

Anyway Rich, nice to see you're thinking of getting a new bike again! Let me know if you need some bits, I've got some decent spares lying around you could have. Seriously. 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

PP I dont like the graffics on the Sirus, yes i know I am a tart.

I will need bits so will be in touch 😉

poppa
    I like the idea of a longer travel fork as I had 150mm on my Coiler and never sturggled up hill really, and loved it on the downhills.

My Scandal had 100mm and certainly struggled on some downhills as I am not the lightest rider 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich, YHM. 😀

I think the 853 Sirus is different……

ampthill

THe Kinesis is stronger steel (heat treated cr mo like Reynolds 725)

soma_rich
    Free Member

The kenisis is Tange prestige which is a lovely steel. The tart in me really really wants the Virtue…

cinnamon_girl

Rich, this was built up for my son. Bought the frame off here (brand new) plus forks together with bits I just "happened" to have lying around! Really nice looking bike, quite light too and it would have fitted you perfectly!

Sadly it never got ridden and has since been split.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kenisis Virtue or on-one 456?’ is closed to new replies.