Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • kendal to carlisle route ?
  • coconut
    Free Member

Hi – two of us are doing route 72 and need a bit of advise. Due to train times we will arrive in kendal late friday night. We plan to go to carlisle and stay saturday at brampton. Sunday will be route 72 along Hadrians Wall to Newcastle. One mountain bike and one road bike!. Were looking around 100 miles for the Saturday… any recommended routes?
    Were thinking straight through lakes to Whitehaven and pick up ncn 72? (Could be bit tough on the mountain bike as looks around 120 miles)
    Thanks

TomB

That would be a tough day. Think I would go Kendal-Bowness via crook, chain ferry across Windermere, hawkshead, Langdale, red bank over to Grasmere, over Dunmail raise then west side of thirlmere, St. John’s in vale to a66, cross to Threlkeld then scales, Mungrisdale, Caldbeck then north to Carlisle. Alternative to first bit would be to head over kirkstone to patterdale, then up over matterdale to trout beck, then continue as above to Mungrisdale.

Haven’t mapped these for distance but avoids wry nose and hardknott and a big Western detour. Another option would be to head east out of Kendal towards sedbergh then follow lanes north to Penrith on the east side of M6, probably a more direct way to your finish point at Brampton.

Edit: just mapped the first option on Bing and it came out at 68 miles, as far as Carlisle.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A6 i the easiest way
    I have no idea how you pick a route suitable for a person on a mtb and a person on a road bike for about 100 miles

Good luck

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks tom. Top advice. Going to try your first route.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘kendal to carlisle route ?’ is closed to new replies.